• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

eBay invites the scam artists in!!

sn00psmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, and this is what I did with my previous bank account but it is still marked verified.

Ebay has realised that you have cancelled the DD. This will become apparent once they try to take money off you.

Just some guy. I try to help, but all advice is my opinion.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because PayPal have a bank account verified doesn't mean that PayPal have established a Direct Debit to your account.

PayPal will only establish a DD if you have selected your verified bank account as a funding source, and not a place for funds to be withdrawn to.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Im a bit worried, just sold a mobile to guy in Hungary, he bid at the last minute. When I read his feedback was slightly horrified, 8 negs and 1 neutral but his score only showed 4 negs! Some of the comments implied that he tries it on saying goods not received and then tries to claim back through paypal. He has now paid me, but I am worried about leaving the money in Paypal (was saving it for holiday in July). I m posting the phone today, but will pay extra to have signed for delivery.

Update and some advise needed: Email today from buyer in Hungary - please read below, the mobile was in full working order (only been used for a month) it was an upgrade (on contract) from O2, I dont have the paperwork he is asking for, but if I did, dont know if it would be relevant to him... sort of think he might be trying it on and will make claim to get money refunded through paypal... any suggestions on the reply I should give?

Dear Jenny,

Many thanks for sending me this great phone and please help me in the following issue.

As I received the N95 yesterday I realized that the camera ZOOM/VOICE button on the side of the phone does not work. It probably broken into or something slipped away there. As I know Nokia provides 2 year full guarantee to handle these kind of mechanical problems and I have managed to contact with them to ask to repair this button. The only thing is needed is the Guarantee paper of the phone and a copy of the invoice printed when you bought it at O2. Please help me in this as this phone would be a present and cannot solve the problem without the Guarantee paper.

I do not really want to bother or hurt anyone this is the reason I ask for your help to send me this papers.

Many Thanks for your help in advance,

Gergo (fakto8)

funny how Ebay will protect the buyers from negative feedback, but they wont protect you all from the spread of HIV and the AIDS virus.

by this i mean they will let the sale of tattoo equipment to be sold to people that are not even tattooists. working from home. no clinical control what so ever, no ultrasonic, no autoclave and no clinical waste management control in place. putting the binmen/women at risk of infection.

ebay dont care we tried to petition them but no luck.

if they are happy to help AIDS and HIV spread across the land they aint going to worry about a little bit of feedback.

You were very brave to have delt with an Hungarian buyer in the first place, I would have cancelled his bid. Mobile phones and laptops make up the bulk of cons on ebay.

I would definately withdraw any funds you have in Paypal.

Am I too sceptical? I don't think so, once the con has happened you will never get your money back and someone far away will be laughing that he as scammed another Brit.

Re: Hungarian Buyer

Thanks for reply conniff, I have withdrawn all funds from my paypal account. I think I will reply along the lines that the mobile was in full working order when sold, that I do not have any O2 invoice etc., as it was a present to me and suggest that he pays to have it repaired (if in fact is does have a fault which I doubt very much).

If in the event that he tries to get his money back through paypal, I presume that paypal will contact me prior to taking money from my bank account.

If it was me, I would apologise for the button, request him to return the phone and once you receive it, give him a refund.

Just some guy. I try to help, but all advice is my opinion.

Nokia don't need any proof of purchase, all he has to do is become a FREE member of Club Nokia, register the IMEI number online with them, then go to ANY Nokia service centre, who will carry out the repair for free and usually within a few hours or at most a couple of days.

When on my jollys in Canada few years back, My mobile gave up on me, took it to a Nokia service centre (searched on nokia website) found the closest one to where my hotel was, took it in, explained the problem, the guy said not a problem, come back tomorrow afternoon, that I did, phone was repaired fully working.

I never had to take any documents with me from the network or any other warranty information, if you goto a Nokia Service centre, these are franchise type places, that have full access to Nokia's databases, and can see when and exactly where the phone was made, what market it was intended for and if branded, what network it was made for.

Send him nothing, my guess it will be some Eastern European trying to get personal details from receipts and such, then next thing you know, you've got 20 credit cards, 18 mortgages, and 15 phone contracts.

Thanks

- Hobbie

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Thanks Hobbie and Mrnbig - advice much appreciated. Do you know if I was 'legal' in selling the phone in the first place? It was an upgrade on my existing o2 contract and then after trying it out for a month decided prefered old phone so using that one. So where you mention the IMEI number Hobbie, would that have all my details attached to it... ?

Perfectly legal, it was supplied to you by the network on the understanding that you will remain with them for a further 12, 18 or 24 month, so long as you continue to remain with them as a paying customer O2 couldn't care aless if you sold it to the man on the moon.

Nokia won't know who O2 sold/passed the phone on to, O2 would be able to find the customer who last used the phone with a O2 Sim Card, Nokia will only have access to the original data, such as when it was made, where it is was made, who done the final quality check, what country it was made for, what network it was made for if any, what software it had when it left the factory, nothing to identify you.

• Haha 1

Thanks

- Hobbie

Thanks Hobbie, put my mind at rest. I will send him a short email reply through ebay and not direct as he did to me and suggest he joins club Nokia to resolve. I will also state that the phone was in perfect working order when I sent it to him. Many thanks! Jenny

hi

i`m curious snoopsmum do you think sellers should leave feedback first. after all once the buyer has done everything they should do properly how can they be neg`d ? then i`m afraid its down to the buyers integrity.personally i`d go for the old way providing the seller leaves feedback first.in over 400 purchases i`ve left two negs,one cos he didn`t send the item and refused to even explain it and another cos the item was blatently knackered and even then i gave him all the chances i could to fix the matter

on minor issues i`ve still left pos feedback after all describing something is not exactly an exact science is it and remember some fool once said "the customer is always right"

in my job i`ve got in exess of 300 customers and they are very rarely right but you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it

what you are suffering from is what high street sellers have to put up with all the time.

if its any consolation when i buy off ebay its high feedback i look for not 100% and i usually track back on the neg`s to find out if they are just awkward.

if your a good seller and it sounds like you are have faith in customers we are not stupid (well most of us) and can usually see through the bulls**t

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D

Think the only fair way for feedback is for it to 'Hidden' until both parties have left it. For instance you could set it up such that each party has a finite amount of time, say 2 weeks or a month, in which to leave feedback. Then once both parties have done so, or the time period for doing so has elapsed, it becomes visible to other ebay users. This way there would be none of the "you leave good feedback for me and i'll do it for you" or "he left me bad feedback im gunna do the same" shenanigans. Additionally any feedback should not be displayed until any disputes are resolved.

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

hi

i`m curious snoopsmum do you think sellers should leave feedback first. after all once the buyer has done everything they should do properly how can they be neg`d ?

Buyers sometimes will leave a negative because the item is a day late or the item is not quite the shade of green that they thought it was or it's not as small as it looked in the photo. Some buyers, mainly newbies who havn't got a clue what its all about, will leave negative for the most trivial reason without even trying to resolve the issue first. I am afraid this will happen even more frequently now. It is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has just sold several parcels of used baby and toddler clothing on ebay, everyone has received their parcels but one, stangely enough the biggest one with 14 items in it...as the people didnt want to incur extra costs, none of the parcels had to be signed for, she will now probably have to send a refund,as,after a burglary she cant find anything let alone proof of posting.. this will wipe out the money she made on all the other items due to the fees and postal costs.. you live and learn dont you!! But everyone else will now have to pay more which doesnt seem fair really.

If the buyer didn't want to pay the extra "couple of quid" for signed for postage, then thats the buyers problem, especially if it was offered by the seller.

Thanks

- Hobbie

If the buyer didn't want to pay the extra "couple of quid" for signed for postage, then thats the buyers problem, especially if it was offered by the seller.

Actually, it's the seller's responsibility to ensure the item is adequately insured, not the buyer. If the seller offers additional insurance and the buyer declines, it is still the seller who is liable for any loss.

Furthermore, in this case as the seller appears to have lost the proof of posting, sending it Recorded Delivery etc may not have made a difference as they would still have no proof of posting.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

This eBay lark has got me very angy. I was left with a neutral feedback because the buyer said there was a small mark on the top she bought from me (I know there wasn't) get this though... BEFORE she bid, she emailed me and asked if this top was "wearable" !!! I thought this was a completely ridiculous thing to ask seeing as though I never list anything I wouldn't want to buy myself.

Anyway.... after she receives it she leaves me a neutral saying there was a mark on the front when there wasn't, just trying her luck. I then learn that my feedback goes down even for a neutral !!

NOW I've just been emailed by yet another buyer (perhaps given the idea after reading the other neutral feedback) who says that there is a mark on the front of a brand new dress, still in it's wrapper!!! I have no proof of this and so asked her to send it back and I'd refund her what she paid plus the postage. She gets all uppity because I didn't say that I would refund HER costs for sending it back (What seller actually does this on eBay anyway??? NONE that I've come across on eBay in my 7 years on there!)

I then reply and say ok ok I'll give you your refund PLUS your postage costs just to keep her from leaving me a negative. I bet she still leaves me a neg when she has the refund firmly in her bank. [edit] It's too 'for' the buyer now and not enough power to the seller. Where's the fairness in that?

eBay..... GET IT SORTED !

Edited by steven4064
unsavoury comment deleted

Anyway.... after she receives it she leaves me a neutral saying there was a mark on the front when there wasn't, just trying her luck. I then learn that my feedback goes down even for a neutral !!

A neutral comment won't affect your feedback score. That's why it's called neutral.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

A neutral comment won't affect your feedback score. That's why it's called neutral.

As of May this year eBay changed it, I know this because I emailed them about it and they told me that neutral does now effect your score!! Plus I have been on eBay long enough now (7 years) to know when feedback effects my score ;)

Edited by LisaLouise

hi

there seems a lot of sellers out there complaining,how about hearing from some buyers because for too long now we have been held to ransom by sellers withholding feedback till the buyer has left them a positive.if i buy something and pay for it promptly my job is done and i expect feedback before the item i`ve paid for is even recieved.

i dont know about the seller policy on ebay but i know about it in the real world and selling stuff to the public sucks,for the most part they are ok but you inevitably get the weirdo`s that cant be pleased its just the way it is you cannot hold people to ransom like some sellers do with the give me a + or i wont give you one attitude.

i realise this is not going to go down too well with all you people patting each other on the back and telling each other how bad it is.

selling is hard work,the rules have changed,granted they are not perfect but have they ever been,the last way favoured the seller this way favours the buyer.its tough but live with it or go sell on amazon

Sorry to be a realist but i`m sick of the sellers grievence club bleating on about how badly done by they are.if you cant take the heat get out the kitchen

S.C

dont forget to tip my scales with some nice comments :p

• Haha 1

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D

Well..... you can't get blunter than that. Yes it needed to be said as it is a one sided thread at present.

Perhaps ebay was forced to change the policy as the majority of scams or problems came from sellers, who knows, but I wouldn't think they just change them for fun.

well number 73!

I'm afraid your comment is just pretty well biased towards the buyers, I am a buyer and seller on there and I really hate it now.

The other way didn't favour the seller at all, it was fair both ways. The way it is now gives the sellers no power at all and we have our hands tied. The bad buyers are coming out in their droves now and they know they can get away with LOADS. It is not a fair place to trade anymore and if it continues there won't be an eBay because all the sellers would have gone!:roll: