Apple Laptop SOGA?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just a bit of info first, I bought an apple laptop in September 2006 with the applecare 3 year warranty.

I have a couple of problems with it now being, the screen sometimes flickers, the battery is not as good anymore and some of the casing has broken (without dropping it i.e. no visible signs of misuse.)

I am intending to send it back due to the screen flicker and was wondering if I am entitled to have the casing fixed and the battery replaced?

The 3 year applecare warranty states that damage to casing is not included. What if I claim on the SOGA, you think I would be entitled to it being fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Laptop batteries are consumable. Yours has lasted the best part of two years and that's pretty good going.

How much time do you spend running the laptop on mains rather than battery? If the battery never discharges, it will lose its ability to store charge.

The screen flicker could quite easily be caused by the powersave mode cutting in and out due to the battery failing. Does it flicker on mains only?

yes it flickers on mains only.

I thought as much for the battery, but what about the damage to the casing and the flickering? my battery will still last more than an hour so is not completely dead, I wouldn't expect the flickering to be caused by the battery if it is not completely dead.

Applecare is £200 and my laptop was about £700 so for £900 I am expecting I should have these sort of issues fixed.

Which Apple laptop do you have?

There have been a couple of recalls on batteries; I had my G4 PowerBook battery replaced under one of these. There were some issues with some early MacBook cases, and I think these were also replaced by Apple.

With issues like screen flicker, I agree with Pat that the energy save may be cutting in and out. As well as a failing battery, this can also be caused by a faulty mains power adaptor or connector.

Many problems that are identified are corrected by software updates, so you should ensure you are running the latest Mac OS. It's also worth looking at the Apple support pages and forums before sending your Mac away.

There's a thread on Apple's support forum about the screen flicker problem; it seems that it's a recognised issue, and shouldn't be a drama getting it fixed.

I suspect that the damaged case may be more problematical, as it may be difficult to convince Apple that it hasn't been dropped. If you can, it may be worth taking it to an Apple Store so you can get a face to face opinion.

That said, I have always been impressed by Apple's after sales service. I've owned Macs since 1987, and have only had two real problems. An iBook wouldn't start up properly out of the box - one call to Apple and it was diagnosed as faulty software - new software arrived by courier the next day. My MacBook Pro wouldn't wake from sleep properly - diagnosed by a local Mac repair centre as a hardware problem, and the logic board was replaced, which failed to cure it. It was escalated to Apple, who suggested that it was a firmware issue, and it was fixed within the hour.

It's likely that your laptop battery is a Lithium cell, and these provide around 300-500 charge/discharge cycles, so you've probably had your innings with it. Confusingly (and unlike NiCads) Lithium cells do not have a memory effect and actually do not like a full discharge. The other type is NiMH which are more resiliant to partial discharge and top-up charges etc.

Anyway - as others have pointed out, the battery would easily be classed and "wear and tear" and the screen flicker - Well, how many times do you lift it up and down each day ?! But it's always worth a go - if you don't ask, you don't get :)

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

• 3 months later...

Total rubbish about the battery. Apple have acknowledged a known problem with Macbook batteries and have extended the warrenty on all betteries to 2 years. Call apple and they will send you a new one free of charge. I did it two months ago after my 14 month old macbook battery totally stopped taking a charge.

However, Apple replaced it with a new battery. And in 9 weeks of use the new battery has also totally died so my laptop willonly work if plugged in! So it is clearly a faulty laptop not battery. I'm going to call apple and hopefully get it sorted out, but probably they will only send another new battery.

Hmm Interesting... a friend of mine has the same laptop/spec with the same problems... battery is pretty much dead, screen flickers at times on mains, and the casing through no mis-use at all has cracked.

The thing is they're all KNOWN MACBOOK DEFECTS and Apple should do the decent thing and replace or refund them. (see appledefects.com).

I have had mine since summer 2006 (following a Performa 6200, G3, G4, Clamshell & IBook over the years), and this is the first time I've had problems with apple hardware. But I have had so many recurring common problems with my macbook that I'm really unahppy now.

Apple have clearly released faulty hardware, and should offer a replacement or refund to all affected models.

This has affected my business so much that I just want rid of my macbook and replace it with an Inspiron. And for an artist who's been a devout Mac user for more than 15 years then Apple's really screwed it up!

yes it flickers on mains only.

I thought as much for the battery, but what about the damage to the casing and the flickering? my battery will still last more than an hour so is not completely dead, I wouldn't expect the flickering to be caused by the battery if it is not completely dead.

Applecare is £200 and my laptop was about £700 so for £900 I am expecting I should have these sort of issues fixed.

For the casing damage under SOGA you would have to prove that the goods didn't conform to the contract in Sep 2006 (the burden of proof rests with you after 6 months). Therefore you will need to get a report stating what caused the damage. Then you would have to claim that the goods were not of satisfactory quality in that it wasn't durable.

Your remedy, then, would be a repair or replacement or partial refund. Apple can choose which you get, but bear in mind that your 2 years use of it will be taken into account. You would only be entitled to the quality and value of a 2 year old case. Your claim might not amount to much of a remedy.

The other thing to remember is that durability for a casing for a product that is designed to be mobile may well be less that that of a casing for a desktop machine. The condition of your case may be entirely in keeping with a 2 year old laptop.

Out of interest I took it to an apple shop and they replaced the casing, investigated the flickering screen and replaced the hard drive which had some known issues, they were very helpful and stated that apple were well aware of the casing issue and so they fixed it all free of charge.