• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You wouldn't have the hassle had you kept the original contracts, after all it is a contract and you are still paying for the goods and if a problem arose you would need to refer to contract. Just as with receipts....always a good idea to keep them, as I previously stated if other organisations can keep receipts/ documents for 6 years then so can we.

If you trust that you are getting the original contract the day you are going to get the amended that will be up to you. But I cant see why they could not post out your contracts (originals) so that you are not making two trips but all I can suggest is to do what you think is best.;)

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

Sorry for being a thicky but what is DLC in this context?

The DLC is Brighthouses Insurance which really isn't insurance....its a "make em think they have useful insurance until they try to claim on it":D

And the Optional Service Cover (OSC) which really isn't optional if you dont get the option to refuse:D

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

I'll probably send them a letter today or tomorrow telling them that when i go into the store this weekend i would like copies of all my agreements ready for me so i can take them with me when i leave.

I just want to ask what if i go into the store this weekend and i pay the amount without the OSC/DLC & they refuse to take one or the other off or refuse to take OSC or DLC of a particular item then what do i do?

Do i offer them payment without the OSC/DLC & if they refuse then don't pay them nothing at all and freeze my account or something as i know they refuse payment if it's anything lower than the usual amount.

I just want everything clear for when i go into there at the weekend.

If you have given the 7days notice as stated in the contract "their contract" then you have made NO breach of contract and have just exercise your rights which you are entitled to do so....then what you should expect is they tell you what your new payment amount is... you pay it... take your receipt and if they are as decent a sales representative as I was taught to be.....and no I did not ever work for BH, :cool:they should say "have a nice day"....now in the case of BH THAT may be a little too much to expect but you having that slightly bit more change in your pocket is enough to put a smile on your face without them wishing you a nice day:D

I received a letter from brighthouse today, it says.

RE: SERVICE COVER

Thank you for your letter received in our office on 9th June 2008.

We are sorry to learn that you have been dissatisified with the service we have provided and can confirm that we will be conducting a thorough investigation into your concerns. Once we have completed this, we will write to you again.

What is the point of this letter? i don't see any point in them sending this to me, i have given the required 7 days notice so when i make my payment at the weekend it will be without OSC & DLC, are they trying to fob me off?

Also i have sent a letter to brighthouse today saying that i would like copies of all my current agreements ready for me when i go into the store at the weekend so i can take them home for me, i won't be happy if they are not done when i go into the store.

Is there anything i should watch out for at the weekend? as i will be having to sign revised agreements, is there any tricks they try and play?

I received a letter from brighthouse today, it says.

RE: SERVICE COVER

Thank you for your letter received in our office on 9th June 2008.

We are sorry to learn that you have been dissatisified with the service we have provided and can confirm that we will be conducting a thorough investigation into your concerns. Once we have completed this, we will write to you again.

What is the point of this letter? i don't see any point in them sending this to me, i have given the required 7 days notice so when i make my payment at the weekend it will be without OSC & DLC, are they trying to fob me off?

They can do all the investigating they want as it is OPTIONAL and they failed to give you the option not to have it if they included it as part of your purchases without actually identifying your rights in regards to this cover. So I wouldn't worry Just pay as intended minus OSC/DLC as you have given the 7days notice and should they have a complaint kindly point out as stated in their contract to you your rights for cancellation and that you have met the requirements however they did not meet their requirements to you when they kept your laptop for so long with no adequate response.

Also i have sent a letter to brighthouse today saying that i would like copies of all my current agreements ready for me when i go into the store at the weekend so i can take them home for me, i won't be happy if they are not done when i go into the store.

Is there anything i should watch out for at the weekend? as i will be having to sign revised agreements, is there any tricks they try and play?

Also make sure in regards to the DLC you take with you your insurance policy in case they say well we need to see this first, make sure you are prepared from the get go. As for revised agreements, stand your ground and I would as suggested by lefty take in the letter or highlight again the section about not waiving your rights under the original agreements especially in terms of your 1/3.

Thank you for your reply sweetnsexyenglish :)

When i sent the letter last week giving notice i attached a copy of my insurance policy so they have no excuses and can't fob me off saying they haven't seen it.

Also i reminded them in the letter i sent them today about waiving my rights with regards to early settlement and repossesion, also i reminded them that if i sign revised agreements the items still have to be described as new as in my current agreements, just to make sure they get the message.

I am just wondering whether they will try playing games with me and possibly refuse payment? it's their loss if they choose to go down that route.

They have no reason to refuse payment so I wouldn't worry about that.

Ok, thanks, do you think they will remove all OSC & DLC then? as i'm only offering them the amount without OSC & DLC, then they can either take it or leave it.

If you requested they all be removed I dont see why they should not, chill stop stressing relax and think about the ways you have to spend the money you have saved:D:D

UPDATE..........................................

I rang BrightHouse this afternoon and asked them if the OSC & DLC had been removed and they said that i had to give 28 days notice & i said it's 7 days notice and you have received the required notice, they said where does it say 7 days and i said in your agreements., where they got 28 days from i don't know, trying to fob me off again i think.

In the end they couldn't argue with anything i said and acknowledged that both OSC & DLC will be removed and my payment will be £35 per week cheaper from this week.

Also they said that that copies of my agreements will be ready for me to collect tomorrow.

So it's all sorted............yay

I just want to point out something i remembered, last year i remember trying to cancel the OSC and they made me put it in writing while i was in the store and i handed it to them, however when i questioned them whether the service cover had been removed they said they never received my notice, so it magically disappeared.

However this time it was sent to the store recorded delivery & head office had a copy and i kept a copy for myself so they had no choice but to cancel it this time.

Edited by BrighthouseRipOff

Good. Well done!

I'm always pleased when CAG has been able to help people claim back or SAVE money! £35 a week you say? That's a big saving!

If you're happy, you may like to consider a small donation to the site? Always appreciated! (Completely voluntary, of course...) ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Well done sweetie :grin: