• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to remove OSC from all of my items, the thing is i don't really want to be going into the store, a relative of mine always take's my payments in on a saturday as they go in to pay their's.

I am currently paying £93.02 a week for several items from brighthouse.

If i took OSC off all of my items then that would lower my payments down considerably.

I don't want loads of hassle from them though, i will send a letter to the local store and a copy to head office.

I don't really want the hassle of signing revised agreements, obviously i am probably not their favourite customer right now hehe.

Edited by BrighthouseRipOff

Sweetie, their hassle is HOT AIR....I am sure you could with stand a little hot air to get what YOU want just stand firm, optional means YOU have the option which THEY did not give you when they stuck it on your contract. Then after you need to follow Lefty's advice and reclaim!!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

Sweetie, their hassle is HOT AIR....I am sure you could with stand a little hot air to get what YOU want just stand firm, optional means YOU have the option which THEY did not give you when they stuck it on your contract. Then after you need to follow Lefty's advice and reclaim!!

I will send letters off this week to remove OSC on all of my items, however as i never go into the store to make my payments, i don't want to be going in there to sign revised agreements, does this have to be done when removing OSC?

I will send letters off this week to remove OSC on all of my items, however as i never go into the store to make my payments, i don't want to be going in there to sign revised agreements, does this have to be done when removing OSC?

Yes, because OSC was incorporated (and formed part of) the original agreements(s) you signed.

All the advice you need is in our BrightHouse fact sheet. ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Cheers Lefty, i am also going to take out my own Home Insurance in the next few days, hopefully this will allow me to remove DLC from my agreements as well.

Could i send Brighthouse a letter informing them that i wish to remove OSC and DLC at the same time? as obviously it would be a lot of hassle to sign revised agreements for removing the OSC and then signing revised agreements again for removing the DLC.

You will have to show them your policy in order to remove DLC, maybe you can do it so by time they ask you to go in and sign revised papers you also have your policy details to show them. You also need to be aware that when they issue new contracts as well as moving the 1/3 they also like to state your goods as used and remove your statutory rights, however as they were the ones who neglected to give you the option to refuse the OSC realistically they should not do this, however I would ask Lefty as I am sure he would have a template so as not to make any additional changes to policy other than the removal of DLC/OSC.

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Item Description/Acount Number(s) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (if you don't have these, simply phone your store and request them)

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreement(s) that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above product(s). To simplify matters, I have today (date) presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of Brighthouse (Branch), which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement(s):

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover

Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I also give notice that I will no longer require damage liabilty cover in respect of the above agreement(s). After having consulted with my home contents insurance provider, I can confirm the above product(s) are "suitably" insured. (I shall be happy to provide a copy of my insurance policy on request.)

I shall be making my next payment on (day) at Brighthouse (branch). This payment will not include "optional" service cover or damage liablity cover.

(the next bit is very important)

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement(s). I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement(s) are reflected in any revised agreement(s). I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement(s).

I also expect any goods described as "new" on existing agrements to continue being described as "new" on any revised agreement.

Kind Regards

Blah Blah

CC

Caversham Finance (Trading as Brighthouse)

Brighthouse Stores (Branch)

(Your Local) Trading Standards

There ya go! Two birds with one stone! ;)

Cheers

Lefty

Edited by Lefty
added point about "new" goods

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

Lefty why aren't you a moderator....I guess the Brighthouse section is your baby as when I first joined their was not one, and you see so knowledgeable when it comes to matters dealing with brighthouse ....me being nosey tis all :D

Lefty why aren't you a moderator....I guess the Brighthouse section is your baby as when I first joined their was not one, and you see so knowledgeable when it comes to matters dealing with brighthouse ....me being nosey tis all :D

Ha!

BrightHouse and me... We're best of friends really.. ;) (mind you, I didn't get a christmas card last year)...:eek:

CAG has the ONLY dedicated BrightHouse advice forum on the web. This is a fantastic pool of information and support. The operating practises of BrightHouse have "gone under the radar" for too long, and if the company plans to expand at the rate it has been, it's just going to have to accept it cannot remain unchallenged and be free to operate just how it wants!

And, although I appreciate your comments, it is not just me who has made this little area of CAG what it is. You have, too - along with the many others who have contributed to it.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Brighthouse are going to be seriously p***** when i remove the OSC and DLC from my agreements aren't they!

I'm just waiting for my Home Insurance Policy to come through before i send the letter cancelling both the OSC and DLC.

I'm just wondering whether they could cancel all my agreements and take all their stuff back in retaliation?

Brighthouse are going to be seriously p***** when i remove the OSC and DLC from my agreements aren't they!

I'm just waiting for my Home Insurance Policy to come through before i send the letter cancelling both the OSC and DLC.

I'm just wondering whether they could cancel all my agreements and take all their stuff back in retaliation?

What possible grounds would BrightHouse have to cancel your agreements and take their stuff back?

You are only exercising your rights as laid out in the agreements you signed - agreements written by BrightHouse!

Your Hire Purchase agreements are legally binding contracts, goverened by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and BrightHouse simply cannot cancel them just because they feel like it!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

What possible grounds would BrightHouse have to cancel your agreements and take their stuff back?

Cheers

Lefty

He wishes they'd take his stuff back lol, and refund all what he's paid todate,((with interest, though I think that would be pushing it:D)) but sadly all it will mean is YOU wont be awarded BRIGHTHOUSE customer of the YEAR!!((or is that BRIGHTHOUSE SUCKER OF THE YEAR??:rolleyes:)) lol but I missed out too so dont worry, when they realise you the customer know your rights you and them wont be best of friends but do you really want to be friends with someone that would rob you blind??

legally no - brighthouse wise watch out for the big chap blocking out the light from your door going "we wants our stuff back mate"

just kidding - follow leftys advice, i failed A-level law spectacuarly, mind you missing 30 mins of a hours lesson didnt help but they put it across town from all my other lessons

Edited by labrat
missing letters - lemonade on keys

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I have sent the letter off today informing BrightHouse that i am giving 7 days notice to remove OSC & DLC from all of my agreements.

What should i do if they try & fob me off or say that will not remove one or the other or both?

Cheers.

I have sent the letter off today informing BrightHouse that i am giving 7 days notice to remove OSC & DLC from all of my agreements.

What should i do if they try & fob me off or say that will not remove one or the other or both?

Cheers.

Have you sent letters to both store and head office? (To be honest, it's only the store that really matters... sending a copy to head office is simply to confirm the "paper trail" should it become necessary.)

If BrightHouse attempt to "fob you off" and deny you your rights, simply stand your ground and suggest they aquaint themselves with The Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and politely, but firmly, advise them they are in breach of their agreement with you, and the matter will be taken up with the Office of Fair Trading.

Offer your regular payment (with OSC and DLC deducted) and if it's refused make a note of the member of staff you are dealing with, time/date etc.

Personally, I don't think you'll have any problems. If you do, get back to us straight away.

And don't forget to let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Have you sent letters to both store and head office? (To be honest, it's only the store that really matters... sending a copy to head office is simply to confirm the "paper trail" should it become necessary.)

If BrightHouse attempt to "fob you off" and deny you your rights, simply stand your ground and suggest they aquaint themselves with The Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and politely, but firmly, advise them they are in breach of their agreement with you, and the matter will be taken up with the Office of Fair Trading.

Offer your regular payment (with OSC and DLC deducted) and if it's refused make a note of the member of staff you are dealing with, time/date etc.

Personally, I don't think you'll have any problems. If you do, get back to us straight away.

And don't forget to let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Lefty

Thanks Lefty, Yes i have sent a letter to the store & a copy to head office.

The only thing i'm stuck on is the fact that i don't know how much my payments would be without the OSC & DLC, at the moment my payments are £90.

If i offer to pay my weekly payment next week after deducting the OSC & DLC and they refuse payment, well that's tough because i won't be paying any late fee's & they won't keep ringing here because i'll tell them where to go & they better not turn up at my property because i will take further action & report them for harassment.

Hi BRO do you not have any contracts at all so you could work this out?

You could just phone up and make a casual enquiry as to the status of each account and request what exactly is each accounts DLC & OSC amount without the full cost....if they enquire as to why you say its just to update your paper work, however if you have your receipts it may be on there however I dont know having not taken them myself.

You could just phone up and make a casual enquiry as to the status of each account and request what exactly is each accounts DLC & OSC amount without the full cost....if they enquire as to why you say its just to update your paper work, however if you have your receipts it may be on there however I dont know having not taken them myself.

...or better still, ask for duplicate copies of all your agreements. You may be needed them in the near future... ;);)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

once OSC/DLC are removed he may be finding he needs the originals anyway as reference to not waiving his rights with the new contracts he is going to recieve. Should anything arise later.

...or better still, ask for duplicate copies of all your agreements. You may be needed them in the near future... ;);)

Cheers

Lefty

Why would i need copies of the agreements? when i go into the store this weekend i won't be paying the OSC/DLC.

I know i will have to sign revised agreements, i just wondered why i need copies of the originals, thanks.

Why would i need copies of the agreements? when i go into the store this weekend i won't be paying the OSC/DLC.

I know i will have to sign revised agreements, i just wondered why i need copies of the originals, thanks.

once OSC/DLC are removed he may be finding he needs the originals anyway as reference to not waiving his rights with the new contracts he is going to recieve. Should anything arise later.

Such as them changing the contract and stating your things as USED...the original will state them as NEW, also the new contracts tend to take away some of your rights...AND the new contracts will have a new 1/3 so although you stated you will not be waiving your rights Lefty's advice was to get the manager to sign the letter also and pin it with your original contract to the new;)

Such as them changing the contract and stating your things as USED...the original will state them as NEW, also the new contracts tend to take away some of your rights...AND the new contracts will have a new 1/3 so although you stated you will not be waiving your rights Lefty's advice was to get the manager to sign the letter also and pin it with your original contract to the new;)

Sounds like a lot of hassle can't i just ask them to have copies of the agreements ready for when i go into store and then sign the revised agreements? then i can take the copies of the old agreements with me? i don't want to be in that shop for longer than i have to be.