• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LBL let's all rally around

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is my first post so please go easy on me. As part of "the group case" I think we all need to share our knowledge to help each other. Sensitive stuff PM of course.

Does anyone know what hours the LBL repossession agents work? can the come and visit on a Sunday for instance. Do they abide by bailiff rules etc?

Has anyone any ideas about if they do happen to catch you what you can do to get rid of them on your doorstep while this case is going on?

I think it's just one agent working for them, tell me if different and I've been on their website. It say's they have 20 teams UK wide, anyone know where these teams are?

Jan71:?:

LBL = Log Book Loans. A Company that provides a loan(s) secured against the debtor`s car (at a very high rate of interest).

Repossession Agents: Companies or Individuals acting on behalf and with authority of the lender to regain possession of the security tendered in respect of the loan, or to regain possession of a vehicle or other asset with unpaid finance.

The question has been posted in the wrong part of the CAG site.

As for the hours/days they work, long and varied is probably the best answer. Barring Xmas Day and certain religous holidays, Repo Agents can work all year round.For LBL, the vehicle can be clamped at any time and almost anywhere.

LBL don`t recommend contact with the debtor generally unless it`s between 7am & 10pm.

The simple answer is, if they can find the vehicle, you`re probably going to lose it.

Once on your doorstep there are pretty much 3 options

1: Pay the arrears + costs and keep the car

2: Refuse to pay and lose the car

3: Refuse to answer and lose the car

I`m aware that there is a case ongoing at the moment against LBL, but the court has not yet made a binding decision on the repo side, I gather that a voluntary "hold off with repo action" between LBL and debtors has recently been withdrawn.

The repo agents are only interested in the car, if they can`t find it, they can`t snatch it back. As a general guideline, most people will park their vehicle within sight of, or within a 10 min walk of their home, figure the rest out :-)

There are no set standards regarding the conduct of "repo agents",however the industry is pretty much self regulating, and misconduct by staff could quickly lead to the demise of the repo company`s reputation.

Why do you need to know the location of the repo teams? Any argument is with LBL not the repo teams

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, the kind of agents LBL use 'work' from dusk to dawn & in between. Very often they will arrive at 5am, all dependent of course on where they start on their list, even if they don't actually make themselves known until 7am. They can and will use any means necessary and often employ people in unmarked vehicles to stake out targets long before the actual repo-men 'pounce'. In some circumanstances when vehicles are clearly not in everyday use or visible they can spend a couple of months stalking people in order to establish that is the case, with those being surveyed blissfully unaware. Once a location is established any 'rules' they should adhere to are soon out of the window

The company referred to above is based close to the Lincolnshire/Norfolk border but does indeed employ many teams to work in the whole of the UK. LBL have also been known to instruct some far less 'professional' outfits, one of which keeps rearing it's ugly head on this site professing its innocence - which, given all the horror stories posted about LBL & their conduct on this site, one should expect. Trying to 'second guess' when & where you will get a visit is pointless, if you want to keep it hide it.

• 8 months later...

We had a car taken by lbl. We didn't know who they were. Our car was clamped at 5am. And taken at 10am. No paperwork was shown, no bailiff our car was removed by a debt collection agency.

We didn't have a loan on our car, we bought the car in April 2008 and car was taken Dec 08.

what rights have we got............. NONE. the person we bought the car from took out the loan then sold the car, after selling the car they stopped paying the loan we lost £3500.

Our story will be in the Daily Mirror in the next few weeks.

We now have no car to carry our disabled son around he is now a prisoner in his own home as it is unsafe to take him on public transprort or have him walk anywhere.

Lbl and the debt collection agency won't have anything to do with us or our solicitor, they even refused to answer to our local MP. A debt collection agency should not repossess anything unless they have a court order and a bailiff.

This advise is getting a bit tideous.

1-Buyer Be Aware.

2- All LBL vehicles are on the HPI register, so HPI should be checked for

outstanding finance.

3- You or Your Solicitor have absolutely no rescourse to the vehicle

whatsoever.

All LBL cars are are owned by LBL, when the person from whom you purchased the vehicle from Sold the car to LBL they gave up all rights to it. LBL then rented the car back to the Person from whom you purchased it.

The Seller had no right to sell the vehicle, and as such the ownership never transfered to you.

You are not covered under the Hire Purchase Act 1964 Section 27 Part III, this act only gives protection to persons and vehicles who have purchased a vehicle under a Hire Purchase Agreement, Conditional Sale, or some other Hire Purchase agreement.

As LBL cars are not Hire Purchase there is no recourse to that law.

As for their agents, or at least their current agents, they are all bonafide, and made of teflon thats officially at least, what they do to recover your car is another matter.

It is of no relevance looking for agents and their details, because Bounty Hunters, if you like, work for many other finance companys and probably have done for many many years.

Now all you need to do is liase with your lawyer or show him this advice, do not spend your money on trying to get your vehicle back, because you will not.

So in essence its a bit like a mortgage, you buy a house for cash from Joe Bloggs, only to discover that it was never Joes house, and worse the owners just returned from their holiday and want their home back, you get the jist.

I have seen it, done it, written the book, got the shirt, and done a cameo.

P.s

LBL do not need to use a court order or a bailiff to recover the vehicle, because they give authority to any person to assume their (LBL) role as the owner, so any person acting on behalf of Lbl DO so as if they own that vehicle. (sorry if sound I condescending not my intention) Any Time Any Day just like Martini (for the older viewers)

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

Edited by Oh Boy!
missed a bit

** Credentials **

We done hpi check which came back clear, if anything had shown we would not have done the deal.

The sale was not a cash sale it was a car swap, we had a small 4 seater we needed a 7 seater, they now have a car and we don't. The small car was still registered in my name until 24th Jan 2009. We got parking tickets coming through for a car we don't own.

Lbl and the debt agency even told us how much the people owe on the car they took from us. This is not legal. We are not the only ones to be conned in this way we have done hours of research online and through freinds all over the country.

The people who took the car had no respect for our property that was in the car as they chucked it out on the road. As we have a disabled child the special seat and restraint in the car was destroyed. Who pays for that..............Us

HPI checks were done by our solicitor after the car was taken still it came back clear. So why did it not show.

We know of others who HPI checked cars before buying all coming back clear, to find out later lbl loans were on the cars...............

I would never accept that laying down....its time something was done about these companies..regardless of what people say these companies claim to have a bill of sale..a bill of sale requires certain steps to have been taken by the lender within seven days at a court of law, if this is not done it is not a legal or enforceable bill of sale. I have personaly seen cases where companes like this have not adhered to the time limits and people have got there cars back. They only own it if they legally own it !!!!

In your case WECARLESS i would take the time and trouble to check and re check. The fact that you hpi checked the car and it came up clear makes me think that lbl did not secure the bill of sale timeously which makes it void!!! Anything you try is better than nothing.

Which company did you do the HPI with? Was it a full £40 HPI with chassis/engine numbers and MOT/ log book documents check, or just a text on a phone one? If it was a bona-fide HPI by a reputable company such as HPI Equifax, you are covered upto £10,000 as you bought a car on thier information. I assume you still have the HPI certificate?

Have you contacted the police and got a crime number, and the sellers details as effectivley you have been sold a stolen car. Then contact HPI and you should be able to claim assuming all the details you have given them are correct.

Well said Cosworth!

Good correct advice,

Also bear in mind, that sometimes the HPi "falls off" the system,, but sadly like you are not obliged to check HPi, neither are FINANCE companies are obliged to register them although it makes good business sense, and of course legal back up in the event these horrible things occur.

Can you PM the Agents Name that took your car?

** Credentials **

Oh Boy, a quick question - what would your opinion be of LBL agents refusing to disclose their real names, who operate under assumed first names only including any paperwork reluctantly dispatched?

Whilst as far as I aware Anglia UK agents correctly use the full names when acting for LBL, but there is one notorious LBL recovery company that operated as described as a matter of course

Hi this is my first post so please go easy on me. As part of "the group case" I think we all need to share our knowledge to help each other. Sensitive stuff PM of course.

Does anyone know what hours the LBL repossession agents work? can the come and visit on a Sunday for instance. Do they abide by bailiff rules etc?

Has anyone any ideas about if they do happen to catch you what you can do to get rid of them on your doorstep while this case is going on?

I think it's just one agent working for them, tell me if different and I've been on their website. It say's they have 20 teams UK wide, anyone know where these teams are?

Jan71:?:

This sounds interesting - like some form of joint intelligence committee

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Hello everyone we have a similar story, we saw a Porsche Cayanne Turbo on ebay in the classified section and we contacted the dealer to see if they would want to do a swap for our 911 c4 convirtable, the dealer wanted to do the deal and swaped and we paid 3000 cash, it wasn't till a couple of months later we became aware of the fact that our car had a large amount of finance taken out on it four months before we swaped, and we have tried to contact the dealer but with no luck, and when we first checked the HPI the car showed finance and we advised the dealer and he said he would deal with it and before the swap happed we done another HPI and the car was clear. we are lead to belive that if we can prove that dealer was aware of finance on this car before the sale then the law has been broken and we should contact the police as this is fraud and deception and that we would get our 911 back and hand the Turbo to the finance company or the police, please help.

Thankyou

Please be aware that not everyone on this site is who they claim to be, so it's not a good idea to give information by PM.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Satan

If you contact HPi they there will be a record of the search by the dealer, you will need to ask for an ANNOTATIONS report, this will show every check done against that vehicle, from the time it was financed, to when it came off, interim checks by others either members of public, dealers, finance companys, etc. What i am concerned about tho is that it was "clear" when you purchased the vehicle.

However you have a clear title claim under the Hire Purchase Act 1964 section 27 part III, the finance company can now only claim the money from the dealer direct, you have clear title to that vehicle.

In this regard, please make sure that the vehicle is put away for safe keeping, and come back to us for any further info and/or guidance you would not need to report this to the police at this stage because it is not a straight forward case of fraud.

Don't forget you will always have a claim against HPi if you did things correctly.

You may need to give us more detailed information about just before the deal and just after the deal, who said what etc?

Edited by Oh Boy!

** Credentials **

Satan,

Nearly forgot, just exactly what type of dealer are talking about, is this a dealer that :-

Works from home with cars scattered around the street.

Works only from Ebay

Has a dealership as defined by ordinary person, (forecourt)

Also

Did you pay cash ? or Bankers Draft?

If cash can you show it came out of your bank account around the time of purchase?

** Credentials **

Fleeced

As you may already be aware there are no laws that prevent a person from using an assumed identity, as long as it is not used to commit fraud.

It is easy for us to be furious in particular with a company that we are upset with and will of course attack all its bits, and little indiscretions, fine don't have a problem with that.

If the LBL agents are using assumed first names, thats quite disgusting, more so if they are the 1st wave agent, there is no need to hide your identity, for what purpose? it certainly does raise a question.

I was a fraud investigator, and i had an assumed identity, I had to ! the people i met where not very nice people at all, especially on an occasion when I picked up a expensive Merc which was part of a larger fraud, the bloke phoned me up, said he was going to find me, that he had mates in the finance repo game, and that i would be eating out of a straw for 6 months, but during this rant, i was smiling all along, because i knew he had no chance, i must admit he tried, because some weeks later i had a call on my mobile from "royalmail",

THEM : hello this is royalmail we've got a parcel we tried to deliver but we no postcode, can you confirm you postcode?

ME : What parcel are we talking about

THEM : shoebox size

ME : I see, which sorting office are you from, I'm in liverpool (thats me putting in disinformation ..i live in surrey)

THEM : Yeah Im calling from central liverpool sorting office, no such office at the time

ME : I see can I have the number to your local office, at his point he started ranting on about how he needed to delivery it quickly but gave me the national number to sorting office.

ME : You are a crap tracing agent mate goodbye (SLAM) or click becoz it was a mobile.

So you see if the bloke had used my real name i might of been more inclined to give some details, there by allowing myself to traced and beaten to a pulp.

But LBL agents are not fraud investigators and have no reason to hide, disgraceful really, unless of course LBL knew there agents with that assumed name as well, but I doubt it.

Edited by Oh Boy!

** Credentials **

So, by I assume the lack of idendity is down to a degree of criminality/unlawful acts?

For those on here mentioning LBL and loans on cars they have purchased from 'unwitting' dealers, read this and ask yourself some questions as to their real motives

eBay buyer?s court victory as £24,000 car is returned - News - getwokingham - The Wokingham Times

As to LBL (& their agents/practices) read this old news

The Logbook Loans Scandal - The Sunday Mail

I'd be particular interested to hear Oh Boy's opinion on the last statement of the latter [EDIT]

Edited by alanfromderby

Yeah that Dhami bloke, it was a clear case of fraud, which LBL appears to be a victim as well.

That story is a little bit more complicated and involves other finance houses. Ah Mr Dhami if you only knew the trouble you have caused.

And besides Rai and Dhami, what can i say, not much on a public(ish) type forum, oh boy, what can i say LOL.

[EDIT]

Edited by alanfromderby

** Credentials **

I suspect the judge in the Wokingham case will have gone into all the complicated details and I guess found LBL at fault as they had to pay out.

I don't understand either why they would want to go to a locked and secure barn, make the place insecure, remove and babysit a few cars until they could give them back. I wonder if they think all the cars on the road need minding too - or is it just the ones in barns?

They really are taking the mickey - or they would be if it wasn't so serious.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Scandalous fleeced. What is truly worrying is that with the credit crunch more people will find themselves desperate enough to borrow off LBL. I just hope that a few will be prevented by reading the horror stories in this forum.