searches of credit file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can I ask for some advice please?

I obtained a copy of my credit file today and whilst there is no detrimental information on my credit file there are pages and pages of searches from Mackenzie Hall. Sometimes several per day.

The reason they give for the search is trace, which I assume means they are trying to find me.

I did have some debts about 9 years ago, which would be statute barred by now.

They do write to me occasionally but I just ignore them.

Is it legal for them to do these kind of searches and is there any way of me stopping them?

Do lenders who search my credit file see these pages and pages of trace searches as I assume they would be regarded as negative?

Any advice you can give would be greatly received.

Many thanks

I'm not 100% on this, but there are various searches carried out on credit files that aren't shown to lenders. Sometimes these searches are to fulfil anti-laundering regs, I believe. I really don't think these traces will have a derogative effect on your credit rating.

I don't know if Mackenzie Hall are allowed to do this or not.

Hi, as far as I am aware Mackenzie Hall are allowed to credit check you. The reasons you advised are for trace purposes, most likely scenario is that a creditor or debt collection agency are trying to locate you and inform you of a debt.

I am also pretty certain that lenders will be able to see the searches carried out by Mackenzie Hall or a debt collection agency and it may possibly have a slight effect on your credit score but someone more who knows more could advise no doubt.

What do the letters from Mackenzie Hall say? (If you dont mind me asking?)

All the best!

Surely these low-lifes can only access your credit record if they have good reason. If they had one they would have contacted you by now.

Does this kind of search come into the reasons that you allow your financial data to be shared when you completed credit agreements or other contracts? I doubt it.

I doubt that the CRAs will tell you anything over the phone but it is worth trying.

Hi , i was told by a solicitor that a search by a dca without permission was legal if you owed money to them or their client this was told to me last year, hope this helps.

Good luck with this

jcl

I too have a search on my file from Mackenzie Hall. I found this out last week. According to the file, reason for search is "outstanding debt" It says on Experian website these searches stay on file for 6 years and are visible to anyone checking your file :-x

I havnt started to tackle this yet, but i will be doing shortly.

Hi , i was told by a solicitor that a search by a dca without permission was legal if you owed money to them or their client this was told to me last year, hope this helps.

Yes, That would be fine, but to do it so many times even if DOBBYDOG did owe them money would be wrong, but to do it even once when they don't owe money is also wrong.

Is your surname something like Smith or Jones? I could imagine that many searches if you had a very common (frequently used!) name but even so, it doesn't sound right.

Grumpy

Thanks for all the replies.

To be honest, I may owe the amounts, but they are going back 9-10 years and the debts have been sold over and over to so many DCA's that I dont recognise what any of them are.

I am going to go down the route of sending the statute barred letter as and when I receive any letters in the future.

Perhaps then, once I have formally advised I will not be paying, they may stop adding these searches.

I need to get them to stop or it will be very difficult to obtain any future credit.

I have written to the CRA's to ask their advice.

Will keep you all updated and any more views on the subject would be apreciated.

Many thanks

Yes, That would be fine, but to do it so many times even if DOBBYDOG did owe them money would be wrong, but to do it even once when they don't owe money is also wrong.

Is your surname something like Smith or Jones? I could imagine that many searches if you had a very common (frequently used!) name but even so, it doesn't sound right.

Grumpy

I agree with you Grumpy, i was just saying what i was told last year. I dont think it's fair to search peoples files even if money is owed or not unless the person gives their permission. This has happened to me also and probably to others too, there are lots of things that are not fair that are put on these files like i had a default for £49 which actually was paid when bill sent, people need to be protected and helped more.