style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, wonder if anyone has any advice about letting agents.

My flatmate and I signed a joint tenancy agreement for one year last October. My flatmate decided that he wanted to move out 5 months early as he was moving city for a new job. The letting agents had already charged us £75 (+VAT) to "draw up" (i.e. print out) the contract in October. When I found a new tenant I contacted them to ask them to switch names on the contract. This time they asked for an additional £75 (+VAT) to change the names, £40 (+VAT) to check references, and then an additional £25 (+VAT) for "admin". This is for a room worth £385 per month.

I emailed them to ask what the additional admin charge was for, seeing as they had already charged for the tenancy agreement and the references, and they replied saying that it was for administration costs. Helpful...

So basically I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do about this. I'm considering contacting OFT, but I'm not sure exactly what, if anything, they could actually do, so I'm not sure how to phrase my letter.

There are a number of things that I suspect may be wrong (although whether unlawful I'm not sure) with what the agency is doing.

1. There was no warning in previous correspondence that we would face additional fees if the contract had to be amended.

2. They are charging us, although they were hired by, and hence can only be fired by, the landlord. We are captive consumers, and cannot go elsewhere if dissatisfied. Surely this must violate some kind of guideline to do with competition??

3. The fees wildly exceed what it could plausibly cost them to make the amendments. They are therefore treating the fees like a penalty. I think this may be analogous to the situation with overdraft charges.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether any of these facts are of consequence, and if so how to proceed?

Cheers.

I would offer to pay them the £40 + vat and tell them to go whistle for the rest as they have not informed you (unless its in your tenancy agreement?) of these additional terms

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

lastattemptbutone,in reply to your post:

1.I agree with Callumsgran here.Maximum fee should be around 45/50 pounds.

2.The other option would be not to have the tenancy amended at all sabving the amendment fee whatever it is.

However,in this case the second/new tenant would not legally be classed as a tenant as his/her name would not be shown on the tenancy agreement.Also,the first original tenant would be legally liable in full for the rent only.

To do this sort of thing would depend on how fussy the landlord is.Only you know this.

I hope this helps.

If you have any more questions,just ask.

Edited by Nightmare4banks

Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to pay the fees for the moment, as the agents won't go ahead with anything until I've done that, and both the old tenant and the new one have a pressing need to get the tenancy agreement sorted.

I'd still be keen to try to get the money back afterwards though, and/or to try to do something to get this practice stopped, as with bank charges. The agents have treated me with complete disdain throughout my tenancy, so I know that they won't listen if I simply tell them to give the money back because it's unfair.

I suspect that I'll need to able either to cite a law or go via an organisation with some authority in order to achieve anything. Any advice on either of these possibilities gratefully received!

The problem with paying these charges are that you in fact are agreeing to them.

Please be aware that the agents cant throw you out just because you dont pay these fees, only the landlord can and they are usually appalled by what the agencies charge us tenants.

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

Thanks for the info.

Do I have the right to insist on the changes to the tenancy agreement without paying the charges though?

If not, then it looks like the situation is pretty hopeless for me....

Can't believe I have to choose between forfeiting the agreement or paying the fees. Actually I can, but its outrageous, which is why I wanted to draw it to the attention of the OFT.

Have you tried contacting the landlord? Unfortunately, some landlords may not be interested.

When I used an agent to let a property though, I didn't think much of them. If my tenants had contacted me with your story I would have tried to sort out a new contract without the agent's involvement.

It's not wholly unlikely that they are also charging the landlord a fee as well for this "service"!