HFO Services Problem.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I too received the bogus "First Direct Logistics" letter, called them back today regarding it and stupidly asked who the letter was from.

They then informed me that the letter was from HFO, who I then found a number for online and contacted regarding why they'd be contacting me. The gentleman who answered couldn't tell me why but said someone would call me back. I asked how they had my number he informed me it'd come up on his screen.

I then received a call from an Indian sounding chap a short while later informing I owe £330-odd to them regarding an old debt to 3G. Now, the issue here is, one the debt must be around 5 years old, and secondly I'm sure my sister paid it off for me as she helped me out with my debt back then.

The Indian sounding guy said they've sent the letter out again today (I asked how he'd know that seeing as they're not the courier company, didn't get an answer to that). He asked me to prove I'd paid it, I've asked him to prove I owe it.

The conversation didn't go much further than that and then I came and read people's stories on here regarding these clowns and am feeling fairly nervous and unsure about what might occur now.

What do I do?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Hi Whattheheck and welcome to CAG :)

First and foremost, never speak to them on the 'phone. From now on, everything in writing!

Respond to the First Direct Logistics with a "prove it" letter.

Unfortunately, my usual computer is poorly but I've asked someone to come and post up a copy of the "prove it" letter which asks them just that ;) It's up to them to prove you owe the debt and not the other way around!!

Bo :)

Hi try this

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your Name) Print do not sign

Andy I thought Whattheheck would be better off sending a "prove it" letter as opposed to a CCA request at this stage ;)

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Great Username btw Whattheheck :D

• Haha 1

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Received the letter today...

I spoke to three (got their number from their website) regarding my old account and they've said that the last payment received was by me in Feb 2005 for £98, and that the account has indeed been passed to HFO. My issue here is, I can't for the life of me remember them contacting me regarding any outstanding debt and infact any reason for any outstanding debt.

I'll post pics of the letter later on to see if anyone else recognizes them.

It's on two pages, one from "3", and one from HFO.

The "3" bit says on it about HFO now managing the debt, therefore I need to pay the outstanding balance of £253.27 on your 3 mobile account exclusively to HFO Services Ltd.

What it means for me?

Because my debt is being managed by HFO, there are a couple things you should know, so it's a good idea to read the following changes carefully.

- From nom on, send all payments to clear your debt straight to HFO Services Ltd at the address shown below.

- If you're making regular payments, you shouldn't stop them for any reason, but you should make all future payments to HFO Services Limited.

- If you have any questions, call HFO Services Limited on or write to:

HFO Services Limited

PO Box 342

West Byfleet

Surrey KT14 6YX

Telephone: 08456006128

These changes don't affect the Terms and Conditions of your original 3 contract. If you've settled your debt in full in the last 7 days, please disregard this letter.

And it's signed off at the bottom by Jim Waddell, Head of Collections, Hutchinson 3G.

Incidentally, it's dated 14th May 208 at the top, strange?

Hi Whattheheck

This seems to be a common HFO practice - letters from the alleged OC and from HFO arriving at the same time. You need to find out if the letter from '3' really has come from them - I've received copy letters of assignment supposedly from an OC that have typographical errors in them... They're probably printed on the same type of paper!

This is interesting because HFO state they are a factoring company, ie. they buy debts outright, not manage them.

Any other HFO aficionados got any ideas about this?

Edited by DonkeyB

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again guys, right, so the situation has changed somewhat.

They called on my phone Wednesday last week and I answered it to inform them I'd be contacting them in writing and not to contact me on the phone. I've not yet sent the letter off, I will be doing that first thing tomorrow.

Today, they called me around 30 minutes ago on my mobile and I didn't answer. 2 minutes later, the home phone rang and my mother answered it, handing the call to me as they asked for me.

I asked them how they got the number, they said it was listed under my address but I got myself ex-directory last year. Are they hunting through old directories for numbers?! Also, this is my parent's home, is there no rule about calling?

The help I guess I need badly is to ask what letter I should write them tomorrow to ask them to a) prove the debt and b) not call me on either mobile or home number from now on.

This is starting to get ridiculous.

They are bluffing - if anyone comes they are not Bailiffs, but just doorstep collectors. DO NOT LET THEM IN AND DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. There is a letter in the templates you can print out and give them.

Contact YOUR trading standards and HFOs trading standards department about this behaviour - state you have complained verbally and in writing to HFO and they have increased the harrassment rather than stopping it.

State that they are contacting family members about your debt (very much against the OFTs code of practice). Contact the OFT as well. Copy in HFO on each letter - and state that if anyone does call you will be calling the police as they will be demanding money with menaces without any proof of the amount you owe or an order from a court about this.

Thanks a lot.

So first things first, tomorrow I will sent them,trading standards and the HFO trading standards department a letter regarding the calling of my home (which now leaves me in a position of HAVING to answer my mobile as I don't want them bothering my home.)

What kind of letter do I sent to the OFT?

What do I ask the guy for? I've asked for a CCA? What about an SAR?

I just feel really worried because I honestly don't know what the deal with this whole situation is. Don't want these guys turning up on my doorstep with some court order as the gentleman(lol) on the phone suggested they would that allows them to break in.

They're idle threats and the usual cr*p that DCAs like to frighten you over the 'phone with which is the reason why you should NEVER speak to them on the 'phone. In the extremely unlikely event that anyone does show up, just remember that they have no more rights than the postman or pizza delivery man and you are quite within your rights to tell them that they are tresspassing and to bog off. Better still, print off a copy of the letter by PT2537 (post #21) in the following link, post one off and keep a spare handy to give to them should they decide to pay you a visit :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/120537-stupot59-lowells-2.html

That should kill two birds with one stone ;)