• Tweets

• Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reply to stock defence and Part 18 issues

rbrears
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I received my defence from Cobbetts on 13th and hadnt seen this post. I sent back the response to the CPR part 18 request that i found in a separate thread, and I included my Schedule of Charges. I havent included any response to there defence.

Do I need to send any sort of reply to that, or will my schedule by ok on its own with a covering letter?

Also I last night received a letter from my local court with the questionnaire and am unsure on how to proceed. Would you advise to postpone any further action for a month, in the hope that Cobbetts will make me an offer. I did speak to Cobbetts yesterday to confirm they had received my schedule and they said they had and would contact me within a week or two.

Also i am unsure whether the £100 i need to pay to my local court will be refunded. If I pay the court and then Cobbetts offer me my original amount on the Schedule of Charges, this will not include the £100. Will I be able to claim this back either frmo the Court, or Cobbetts.

ANy help is much appreciated. :)

I received my defence from Corbett's on 13th and hadn't seen this post. I sent back the response to the CPR part 18 request that i found in a separate thread, and I included my Schedule of Charges. I haven't included any response to there defence.

Do I need to send any sort of reply to that, or will my schedule by OK on its own with a covering letter? I'm not sure abouts the defence you have received, in general you don't need to reply to the defence, but it might help if you have your own thread and post the info on there so that people can comment about your particular claim rather than make general comments.

Also I last night received a letter from my local court with the questionnaire and am unsure on how to proceed. Would you advise to postpone any further action for a month, in the hope that Corbett's will make me an offer. The defendant has had long enough to settle, i wouldn't suggest this did speak to Corbett's yesterday to confirm they had received my schedule and they said they had and would contact me within a week or two.

Also i am unsure whether the £100 i need to pay to my local court will be refunded. If I pay the court and then Corbett's offer me my original amount on the Schedule of Charges, this will not include the £100. Will I be able to claim this back either from the Court, or Corbett's.The fee for submitting the allocation questionnaire as well as the fees for submitting the claim are all recoverable, when you get any offer make sure they know you want the charges, the interest you paid, interest you are claiming, court costs and anything else you can legitimately claim.

Oh and you don't claim anything back from the courts, the defendant pays when they want to settle or when the judge finds in your favour.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

A part 18 request should stand alone & not be sent as part of the defence papers when they could be confused by the litigant in person as being part of the defence. They should also be clear & concise & capable of being understood by the recipient, layman of lawyer

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. The Part 18 requests should be served in the case of a litigant in person in a seperate letter explaining what it is and why it has been served. The fact that bank's lawyes are serving them along with the defence with no explanation just shows how the bank's lawyers are not complying with their duties when dealing with a litigant in person.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, great thread!

If anyone is interested and as I hate NatWest so much here is a link to all thier old websites Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Goes back from August2006

Have fun!

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Pete H

Need your help badly. Court case coming up. I put a claim online but did not include schedule of charges even to court or to solicitors. What do I do now? Can I take one to court and send one to bank solicitors?

Veb,

It's not clear what stage your claim has reached. More details required - have Cobbetts

a) entered a defence to the claim?

b) if so have they challenged what they would say is a lack of evidence to back up your claim? If so you could include the schedule as part of a reply to their defence. This is probably better than unilaterally changing your Particulars of Claim (which I believe would also mean you'd have to pay a further fee - £35?).

I deliberately avoided MCOL because it doesn't allow you to put forward your case in one go due to lack of space.

Pete

Hello

Is this correct.

I am sending Cobblers, in response to their CPR Pt18 the following:

I acknowledge receipt of your defence & request for further information and clarification.

I would like to advise you that I am a litigant in person in this matter, and so do not feel that I am adequately qualified to understand or respond to the points you raise in your letter. Consequently, I have decided that I will wait until the hearing, at which I will ask the judge for guidance on the best way to respond to you.

I anticipate that the claim would be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative.

However, for clarity, I enclose a schedule of charges and I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account name: xxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxx

SORT CODE: xxxxx

Amount £3762

It should be noted, however, that your client has received this schedule of charges no less than 3 times previously, each time via recorded delivery.

Signed

I am also sending, separately, a CPR 18 request to Cobblers, thus:

REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND CLARIFICATION

1.In relation to each and every breach by the Claimant which resulted in a charge being levied as confirmed by the Defendant in its Defence please provide full details (with all relevant supporting documentation) of:

a) any letters, telephone calls, or incidents of manual intervention into the account in respect of each and every charge claimed by the Claimant in the Particulars of Claim;

b) how charges are applied to the account (whether automatically or by some other means) and when;

c) the Defendant’s assessment of the cost to it of sending any letter making any telephone call or otherwise administering the account, with details of how the cost to the Defendant is calculated and what items of expense are included, or such other costs as are foreseeable in the context of contractual damages and the remoteness thereof and which can be specifically identified and defined and which can be reasonably attributed to each and every breach on the part of the Claimant;

d) the justifiably objective principles upon which all such costs are calculated and result in the specific level of each charge levied by the bank in respect of each of the breaches which resulted in the charges now claimed by the Claimant.

2.If the charges are applied in return for the provision of a banking service to the Claimant:

a) Please identify each and every such service referred to in the defendant’s terms and conditions and identify the charges, by reference to those terms and conditions, that the Claimant is required to pay for each service identified.

b) Please confirm what steps are taken by the defendant in providing the alleged services. Please provide copies of all notes, memoranda, or other information retained by the defendant to demonstrate the provision of the alleged services to the Claimant.

c) Please confirm whether charges are applied automatically.

I really don't want to screw up at this stage, so is the above correct.

Also on my request for more info, do I state that this is pursuant to CPR Pt 18?

Regards

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

Looks fine & yes you should clearly indicate it's part 18 request.

Also you should make mention of the fact that if they do not comply you will make application to the court pursuant to part 18 s5 for their compliance...........You must give them at least 14 days to comply

Veb,

It's not clear what stage your claim has reached. More details required - have Cobbetts

a) entered a defence to the claim?

b) if so have they challenged what they would say is a lack of evidence to back up your claim? If so you could include the schedule as part of a reply to their defence. This is probably better than unilaterally changing your Particulars of Claim (which I believe would also mean you'd have to pay a further fee - £35?).

I deliberately avoided MCOL because it doesn't allow you to put forward your case in one go due to lack of space.

Pete

Thanks Pete but the bank has now paid in full. Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am slowly getting my head round this. I am obviously new to all this and the legal jargon is daunting.

I am about to submit an amended POC claim given my original was incorrectly compiled. Can I still use this given the T&C's are no longer on the website and exisiting T&C's taken from the branch have been updated & if so what amendments need I make.

Or should I follow the POC completion thread here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

THX

• Barclaycard (2 Accounts) CCA sent to both on 20.5.07 (defaulted)
  • MBNA CCA defaulted 14.6.07 (Claim £2600)
  • Capital one: Reject offer LBA 18.6.07
  • HSBC/Metropolitan/DG Solicitors: Credit agreement not found by DG Solicitors. Sent new CCA to Metropolitan 18.6.07 with original timeline 18th May 2007.

In view of the recent B/ham ruling it's important you obtain the original T's&C's which I assume referred to the fees as 'penalties' & not service charges.

I understand that any computer buff can access now disgarded web pages which will demonstrate this fact. I suggest you ask the mods for assistance in this regard asap

In view of the recent B/ham ruling it's important you obtain the original T's&C's which I assume referred to the fees as 'penalties' & not service charges.

.........access now disgarded web pages which will demonstrate this fact. I suggest you ask the mods for assistance in this regard asap

I have nosed around and as yet found nothing I will PM and ask but it seems we are on hold until someone can either physically recover a T&C or someone can recover a copy from the internet.

• HSBC/Metropolitan/DG Solicitors: Credit agreement not found by DG Solicitors. Sent new CCA to Metropolitan 18.6.07 with original timeline 18th May 2007.

Yes you can submit a part 18 now since it is a request for further information about their defence. Note that Part 18 is not intended to apply to small claims, but then your case is not a small claim until allocated by the court after the submission of allocation questionnaires.

I have a claim for £8700. I have received an AQ and will request that the court push it to the small claims track. Is that OK? Can I still use the Part 18, which I then send to Cobbetts for full disclosure of costs and not the bank.

Also you should make mention of the fact that if they do not comply you will make application to the court pursuant to part 18 s5 for their compliance...........You must give them at least 14 days to comply

Could you elaborate on the content to denote the Part 18 in its own right and the wording to ensure their complaince within 14 days.

I'm sorry to pose such simple questions but I was up most of the night as I had already made mistakes on my original POC and I do not want to repeat the experience. Do bear with me.

THX

excellent post - the terms re-management of the account - making sure it stays within limits indicate its considered breach of contract and invalidate the Lloyds defence (might be worth getting copies of terms before banks change what's on their sites)