style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Not sure if this should be in the DVLA thread as its a bit of a dubious one but I'll tell the tale and then you tell me if this is DVLA or parking related. OK here goes.

Firstly the incident in question did not involve myself but my colleague's boyfriend so I will give as much info as I can but there may be a delay if more details are required.

OK the situation was my friends boyfriend was parked outside her flat in Manchester City Centre (legally parked I may add). His tax disc had expired by three days but his application for a new disc was in the post to the DVLA at the time which they have subsequently recieved. He came out of the flat to find that the car had been towed to the NCP pound and had to pay NCP £200 to get it back. The £200 is made up of an £80 fine and £120 to get the car back. Also when the fines were paid these were payable to Manchester City Council and not NCP (?) (NCP Manchester is an independant company a 'Joint venture public private company).

So the first thing that springs to mind is isn't three days a bit over zealous? I thought you had 15 to get a new tax disc. The fine seems steep and what do MCC have to do with the whole affair (I know NCp work for the DVLA but do NCP Manchester).

Any thoughts guys?

I thought you had 15 to get a new tax disc.

The only comment that I will make at this time is that there is not, nor has there ever been, a 'grace' period of 14 days enshrined in legislation.

There used to be an unofficial 14 days into the new month - but it could not, and can not, be relied upon.

The receipt from NCP will make it clear as to whether this is DVLA or parking related. For parking they are legally obliged to inform you of the appeal process.

The only comment that I will make at this time is that there is not, nor has there ever been, a 'grace' period of 14 days enshrined in legislation.

There used to be an unofficial 14 days into the new month - but it could not, and can not, be relied upon.

The receipt from NCP will make it clear as to whether this is DVLA or parking related. For parking they are legally obliged to inform you of the appeal process.

Ooooh heavens, I didn't know that and have relied upon that myself in the past. Not something I will be doing again!! Does that mean that they hasd every right to tow him?

Unfortunately, if they were acting n behalf of the DVLA - they did. The car can even be crushed.

But it is very unusual to tow for no VED after 3 days (well nigh unheard of). Are you sure this isn't a parking issue?

I did ask that myself actually as that's what I would have thought too, but I am told not. That said until I see the docs I can't be sure exactly what's gone on. Thanks for you responses.