change in hours question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Boyfriend works as a driver and has been working night shifts for around a year. There was a Union meeting on Saturday which unfortunately he could not attend as he had to go to a funeral.

The gist of the meeting was that some drivers including him would be changed from nights onto a permenant late shift.

He has not yet been told officially that this is the case but other drivers who were at the meeting confirmed this to him.

He will therefore start on a late shift (12pm - 12am) on Monday.

The main issue is not really the lack of notice or shift pattern although they will be a problem with child care but more that he will lose his night shift bonus.

He is not employed as a night driver but just as a driver so am I right to presume as they say that he should just fit into the 'needs of the business'

any advice would be most welcome.

TIA

bennieee

Good afternoon.

If he has a contract it will probably say he is employed as a driver, quite usually with hours to suit.

If it states his working hours specifically then he would probably need a consultation period before the change could take place, otherwise your right they can change it.

Sounds like a case of "like it or lump it", the transport business is not a great place to be right now.

• Haha 1

Sharkie

He was originally worked shifts - alternate earlies and lates, he had an injury at work and they swapped his shifts onto nights and he has worked on nights continually but all the drivers whether day or night have the same contract.

He has not been on any other shift for the past year.

It is frustrating as he still has not been told of the change and no doubt he will get a call on Sun to tell him his earlier start time on Monday.

I know that the hours are different for day drivers - he will be able to now work a max of fifteen hours instead of eleven so more hours for less pay as he will lose the shift allowance :(

Ok, so he has been driving on nights for the past year.

Can you find out what vehicle he normally drives on nights?

Is it bigger than a 3.5 tonne and does he use a tacho?

A night driver cannot have the same contract as a day driver as there are different regs concerning health assessments and rest periods.

What does your bf's contract say about this?

• Haha 1

He does use a tacho - I will ask him when he gets up what size the vehicle it is. As far as I am aware his contract does not make any specific ref to night drivers/day driver but I will check and post when I have the details.