• Tweets

• If it was done via N245 and the payments are up todate then the landlord must make an application with fee for a redetermination. Can't execute with bailiffs can't do anything until he attends a hearing and presents his arguments    ignore. Andy
    • Sorry I didn’t think to come and update this.    So the outcome was that he went to court. Apparently the judge told the landlord off for not sending a letter before action but did nothing about it. He didn’t accept all the damages the landlord claimed, and told him off for accusing my friend of deliberately and maliciously damaging anything, and he awarded him small amounts of the damages he claimed for. The landlord had also made an awful lot of things up that never existed and accused my friend of stealing them, and the judge didn’t accept any of those claims.   However, I’m back asking advice now. So he made an offer of payment via the court forms, sometime before Christmas and straight after the hearing. The landlord didn’t reply so the court accepted the payments.  My friend has been paying the £10 a month each month. Then a couple of days ago he had received a letter from court with a hearing date in a couple of weeks, and a very irate letter from the landlord saying that my friend has consistently lied and that nothing he says should be believed, and that he wants the bailiffs to be called on him and that he absolutely refuses the payment plan. The letter is marked as received by the courts in December and this is the first that’s been sent since then. My friend and his wife are now panicked, what does this mean? And can they now get bailiffs sent round? He earns an ok wage, which somehow the landlord has referred to in his letter, but he equally has a lot of expenditure and can’t afford to pay any more. What will happen at this hearing and can they send out the bailiffs just because the landlord wants them to?    I have no clue what to advise him, can you help at all please?
    • Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus: Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased an Acer laptop from Brighthouse in November 2006, it had been fine but a few month's ago it started developing fault after fault.

The lid started to fall apart because the hinges were coming off, i had always looked after the laptop and i had never dropped it or anything like that.

I decided to take it back to the store, i was told that the laptop would be sent away from repair, after a while the store manager came over and spoke to me, he informed me that the laptop would be sent away for repair but it might be fixed but then again it might not be fixed, he accused me of dropping the laptop which i felt was unacceptable, i informed him that i had never dropped the laptop at all.

He then went on to say that if the laptop came back unrepaired than i had two options, either i have the unrepaired laptop and carry on paying £17 per week, or i could give the laptop back to them and pay them £100 to cancel the contract, i felt that both of these options were totally unacceptable, why should i do any of these options, anyway i was told that the laptop would be away for 5 or 6 weeks.

I have been in contact with consumer direct about this situation on numerous occassions and informed them of what i was told and the fact that i pay OSC and DLC on this item, they told me to send Brighthouse a letter via recorde delivery, i did this and got a reply from Brighthouse on 4th April 2008 saying that they would be conducting a thorough investigation.

I have since sent Brighthouse another two letter via recorded delivery but they have not replied, they seem to just be ignoring the matter now, I have informed them that they have a legal duty to repair the item under the supply of goods act 1973.

It has now been over 9 weeks since the laptop got sent off and it is getting very frustrating, what can i do to make them hurry the manufacturer up and get it back to me? Also i am looking forward to knowing whether or not the laptop has been repaired.

Consumer Direct have passed this matter onto Trading Standards but i have yet to hear from them.

I will not be fobbed off by Brighthouse and i will stand my ground, i would not hesitate to take them to court as well if i felt i had a good case.

What can i do if the laptop comes back unrepaired? i hope someone can answer this question for me.

Thank you and i will keep you updated on the situation as soon as i hear anything.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you still paying for it?

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Are you still paying for it?

Lefty

Thanks for your reply, yes i am, i am paying £17 per week and i have around another 20 weeks left on the contract.

I have been a Brighthouse customer for 11 years, i know they are a rip off, I've never had any problems like this before, but they are pushing their luck.

Edited by BrighthouseRipOff

BrightHouse can do 1 of 3 things...

1) If they (or a "technician") feels the item is beyond ecconomic repair, and that the cost of a repair would be higher than the value, they can cancel your OSC policy (with 7 days notice) leaving you with nothing.

2) If they (or a "technician") concludes the item was damaged accidentally they can invoke your DLC insurance and "waive" any outstanding payments leaving you with a £100 excess to pay and left with nothing.

3) They can comply with the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 and repair/replace the laptop, and go out of their way to keep a customer happy - a customer who has spent around £2,000 on a laptop worth less than £600. (There goes that pig flying past my window again...) :cool:

I know what I think they'll do... They'll go for option 1 or 2.

But, fear not! We have a BrightHouse account manager contributing to this forum, so I'm sure you'll get some PR friendly advice very soon! ;)

Cheers

Lefty

PS - Make sure you continue with your payments, because that way when (and I mean WHEN and not if) you take them to court you will have a rock solid case! ;);)

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

BrightHouse can do 1 of 3 things...

1) If they (or a "technician") feels the item is beyond ecconomic repair, and that the cost of a repair would be higher than the value, they can cancel your OSC policy (with 7 days notice) leaving you with nothing.

2) If they (or a "technician") concludes the item was damaged accidentally they can invoke your DLC insurance and "waive" any outstanding payments leaving you with a £100 excess to pay and left with nothing.

3) They can comply with the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 and repair/replace the laptop, and go out of their way to keep a customer happy - a customer who has spent around £2,000 on a laptop worth less than £600. (There goes that pig flying past my window again...) :cool:

I know what I think they'll do... They'll go for option 1 or 2.

But, fear not! We have a BrightHouse account manager contributing to this forum, so I'm sure you'll get some PR friendly advice very soon! ;)

Cheers

Lefty

PS - Make sure you continue with your payments, because that way when (and I mean WHEN and not if) you take them to court you will have a rock solid case! ;);)

Thank you for replying again lefty, i have not heard from Brighthouse since 4th April 2008 when i got a letter from the customer services manager in Almondvale, West Lothian.

I was hoping that ACER would have sent the laptop back to Brighthouse by now.

How can they go for option 1 or 2 and get away with it? is there anything that i can do if they do go for any of these options?

I will continue with my payments, i have never missed a payment in the 11 years i have been with them.

They seemed a bit shaky at first when i threatened to contact Trading Standards and possibly sue them, i got a reply from them within 2 days by letter, but since then despite me sending two more letters to head office i have heard nothing.

Where do i stand legally if they did decide to do option 1 or 2 above?

Thank you again.

I think it's time for a no nonesense LBA (letter before action) and spur them up a bit!

You have been without the "goods" for an "unreasonable" length of time, and it's very likely you'll never see them again. It's even doubtful that BrightHouse even sent the laptop to ACER outside of its 12 month manufacturer's warranty. It's probably gathering dust in their basement!

As for where you stand legally...

BrightHouse have not complied with the SUPPLY OF GOODS(IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973 and you are seriously out of pocket because of it.

BrightHouse sold you a "service cover" contract (at a cost of around £600) and have not delivered the service you were led to believe you were entitled to.

You may like to run this past Consumer Direct and ask them to refer it to your local Trading Standards in order to assist you with a claim in the small claim courts.

Cheers

Lefty

PS - BrightHouse will settle before going to court.

PPS - I challenge any monitoring BrightHouse employee to proove me wrong on the above statement!

Edited by Lefty

;)

Lefty, thanks again for your reply, i will send them another letter tomorrow, i would appreciate it very much if you could help me with what to say in the letter, thank you once again for your help, we will get them!! :)

Edited by BrighthouseRipOff

If someone could help me out with what to say in the letter, i will get it written up tonight and posted recorded delivery first thing in the morning.

I have been paying £17.24 every week since November 2006, this includes £2.25 per week for the optional service cover and £5.25 per week for the damage liability cover.

Would this kind of letter be ok?

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Supply Of Goods Act 1973

Despite several letters to you, you have failed to respond to my concerns which i feel is totally uancceptable.

I have been without my laptop now for over 9 weeks which is an unreasonable amount of time.

You have failed to comply with the Supply Of Goods Act 1973 and I am seriously out of pocket due to this.

You have sold me a service cover contract at a cost of around £600 but you have not delivered the service that i was led to believe i was entitled to.

If this matter is not resolved within the next 7 days then i will be starting legal proceedings against you to resolve this matter.

Thank you for your time

wait for Lefty!

He really, really will know what letter to send these parasites!

Hopefully Lefty will appear at some point tonight to help me with this letter, i want it sent tomorrow, i just want to get this mess sorted out, as brighthouse are really starting to test my patience and i look forward to the day they receive the letters from the court.

Date

Agreement Number

Item description

Dear Sir or Madam

I refer to my previous letter which you acknowledged receipt of on _______

It has now been 9 weeks since the above item was returned to BrightHouse.

Although I pay for OSC for the above, I feel BrightHouse are in breach of the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973. I would respectfully remind you that manufacturer’s warranties (and, indeed, any extended warranties OSC) are IN ADDITION to consumer’s STATUATORY RIGHTS. These rights are very clear and, in the case of a HIRE PURCHASE agreement, refer to THE SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973.

In particular:

1- Implied term about quality

(1) In section 14 of the [1979 c. 54.] Sale of Goods Act 1979 (implied terms about quality or fitness) for subsection (2) there is substituted—

“(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any

description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

A freely available guide (based on consumer groups and manufacturer’s websites) suggests a “good quality” laptop should have a life expectancy (durability factor) of around 4 – 5 years. It can, therefore, be deduced from these figures that a “reasonable” person would expect a “good quality” laptop to last at least 3 years and would certainly not expect it to cease to function after only one and a half years. Of course, the original price and quality of the laptop should be taken into account, and at £896.00 (2006 price) this would certainly indicates an “up-market” quality product.

What I require:

Confirmation (in writing and within 14 days) that CAVERSHAM FINANCE (trading as BRIGHTHOUSE) will facilitate a satisfactory repair to the above item, or supply a replacement item of comparable age and specification in full working order. If neither solution is practical, then a realistic partial refund would be the only recourse.

Regretfully, if I do not hear from you within 14 days, or if you fail to respond positively to my requests, I will have no alternative than to persue the matter through the small claims court. I should also advise you that my claim will also request a refund of all payments made on the additional OSC contract that I believe was mis-sold and was completely worthless.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

;)

Thank you lefty, do you think it would be a good idea for me to send copies of all the letters i have sent to Brighthouse to Trading Standards? to make them aware of the situation, thanks again, much appreciated.

Yes. Definitely.

Good luck.

Cheers

Lefty

(PS - sorry for it being late... was a bit tied up!) ;)

;)

Yes. Definitely.

Good luck.

Cheers

Lefty

(PS - sorry for it being late... was a bit tied up!) ;)

Ok, Thank you i will do that then, no problem for being late, your advice is much appreciated, i will keep you updated on what happens, cheers.

Yes I would also have to say Lefty is Briliant with the BH advice...now for a quick question Lefty:p

If you remember my post on the thread where your collecting stories...I have stopped paying for my last item as BH refuse to take responsibility for faulty items I have already paid off.

i.e. the washing machine their repairman ripped a part out of and said whirlpool reccommend it:rolleyes: and the Acer Laptop exchanged September 2007 and the dvd/cd/cd-r drive is faulty and they claim I have no warranty....yea jogged ya memory?

Well how cheeky would I be to reclaim charges from BH even though I am not paying the last £300 I owe them, although I will say since I went into the store and had words I get no letters threats or visits since I requested they take me to court!!

Do you think it wiser to leave em alone or go for my charges? I dont need an S.A.R as I have every receipt (I'm a horder;)) I was gonna follow Steven 4060's route with his BH claim:)

Edited by sweetnsexyenglish
spelling

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

Hi sweetnsexyenglish

Your laptop fiasco was very similar to this case wasn't it? The OP would be well advised to have a read through your thread HERE

I can understand your frustration, and your reasons for witholding payment, but I actually think you may just be letting BrightHouse off the hook. It's probably worth them writing off £300 in payments to avoid court action - and the bad PR that goes with it.

However, it is not unreasonable to withold payment on a Hire Purchase agreement if the amount you are witholding is to cover the cost of a repair in relation to unsatisfactory goods. This is outlined in the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1973. It is also advice from Consumer Direct.

As for claiming back any unlawful penalty charges...

I would go for it, but I would add to my claim all OSC payment made too. I would request that BrightHouse present all details of my accounts and JUSTIFY the amounts I have been charged in view of the unsatisfactory goods I have received.

Think about it...

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Thank you Lefty....now to sift through mountains of receipts and add those charges up:( but at the end I know it will be worth it and god knows I need every penny right now:D. Did you look at the pictures I put up on the thread with the brighthouse employee who suggested someone should pay attention in class. I forgotten I had them and wish I had also taken pictures of the laptop too:D.

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Did you look at the pictures I put up on the thread with the brighthouse employee who suggested someone should pay attention in class. I forgotten I had them and wish I had also taken pictures of the laptop too:D.

Like I've been telling everyone for some while, BrightHouse monitor these forums regularly. Believe me, they keep a very careful eye on what's being said here.

It's interesting that the BrightHouse "account manager" picked up on THAT particular thread as opposed to the many others on here... Then again, I did forward the content of it to David Harwood (company secretary) shortly after we received his official response to our fact sheet a few weeks ago... I sent it as an example of a typical "HELP WITH BRIGHTHOUSE PLEASE" thread we get on here regularly... 8-)

Yes, I did see your photos. Looks like you'd just bought it off eBay for a fiver! :grin:

Cheers

Lefty

Edited by Lefty
formatting

;)

LoL...that was supposed to be a brand new speaker to replace the damaged one I had only had a week, shocking isn't it but not surprising and if you knew how many phone calls and letters before someone went and gave me a brand new one....or the fact they could pass off such a dirty dingy peeling item as brand new shows how BH work.....lets see if he comments on the pics and can justify employees giving me that as new as part of a £500 stereo!!

I have sent the letter to Brighthouse head office in Caversham today, sent recorded delivery, also i have sent copies of all letters i have sent to Brighthouse to Trading Standards.

I have just read through sweetnsexyenglish's thread, interesting because one of the letters she received about them conducting a thorough investigation was the same letter as i recently received word by word.

Usual standard letters but you need to show you are not the usual standard customer!! If you look at the letter I took into the store I suggest you reword it and try it, it states your rights which several surveys show, that sales employees are not taught what the statutory right means and its more than obvious they do not know the laws as pertains to HP agreements either.

Thank you for your reply and advice sweetnsexyenglish :)

So my laptop has now been away for 9 weeks, as lefty said above i may never see it again.

I do not expect to receive a response from Brighthouse within 14 days as they seem to ignore letters and they probably think that they are going to get away with it but they are messing with the wrong person because i will take them all the way!

So i expect to start court proceedings in 14 days.

The thing is if i do start court proceedings which is how it is probably going to end up then how much do i sue them for? As stated above i have been paying £17.24 per week since 18th November 2006, this includes £2.25 per week for the optional service cover and £5.25 for the damage liability cover.

I'm wondering what action Trading Standards may take against Brighthouse after they have received all copies of the letters that i have sent to Brighthouse.

Lefty's letter seems a good one and it states all my rights so when Brighthouse receive that letter tomorrow or friday then they are going to have a shock as they will know that i am well aware of my rights and hopefully they will start to crack.

Usual standard letters but you need to show you are not the usual standard customer!! If you look at the letter I took into the store I suggest you reword it and try it, it states your rights which several surveys show, that sales employees are not taught what the statutory right means and its more than obvious they do not know the laws as pertains to HP agreements either.

Thank you for your reply, i fully intend to show them that i am not their usual standard customer.

Are you suggesting that i should send a letter to the local store where i took the laptop into?

Do you think that Brighthouse will ignore the 14 days notice to respond positively to resolve this situation, or do you think they may actually do something about this mess? Personally i think i will not receive a reply and court action will commence.

My personal dealing with Trading Standards...erm to be honest I didn't feel they did much in way of my case but that could have been just my local office. I found contacting the Financial Ombudsman better as he issued out a letter straight away however I stuck to the time lines as stated by Consumer Direct & Trading Standard for letters.

Personally claim for everything you have paid as for extras Lefty may be better enabled to advise as there is no way it has gone to Acer and it has taken so long to repair but you could contact Acer and see if they are in receipt of the laptop.

Do you want it back or would you rather just be done with it and get your money and go else where? as if you'd rather an end to it go to court and get your money, if you wanted the laptop back you could request information of repairer and cut out the idiot (BH) and talk direct to the repairer with the hope that they are independent from BH.