Parking regulations without markings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Exeter has just now moved to decriminalised parking. So I just want some advice on the signage in my estate.

Are there circumstances under which PCNs can be given where there are no road markings?

I understand my whole estate is covered by a traffic management order requiring residents' permits on "Matchdays" - days when the rugby is on.

The signs in the estate simply say something along the lines of "Match Day - Residents only", but there are no road markings.

On match days the Police have been erecting signs at the estate entrances and issuing tickets to vehicles that arrived during the day. I'm not sure what will happen now it's been decriminalised, but I'm looking for some firm advice to give to any of my neighbours should they get a PCN.

Exeter has just now moved to decriminalised parking. So I just want some advice on the signage in my estate.

Are there circumstances under which PCNs can be given where there are no road markings?

I understand my whole estate is covered by a traffic management order requiring residents' permits on "Matchdays" - days when the rugby is on.

The signs in the estate simply say something along the lines of "Match Day - Residents only", but there are no road markings.

On match days the Police have been erecting signs at the estate entrances and issuing tickets to vehicles that arrived during the day. I'm not sure what will happen now it's been decriminalised, but I'm looking for some firm advice to give to any of my neighbours should they get a PCN.

Surely your 'neighbours' are residents and as such will have permits for matchdays?? :confused:

Surely your 'neighbours' are residents and as such will have permits for matchdays?? :confused:

It is a zone set up to give the local councillor a feeling of power. It is not needed because the rugby have plenty of parking set up. The permits cost 12 pounds each and you are only allowed to buy one per household - so not everyone has got one.

Are the (lack of) markings legal?

Road markings are NOT required however clear signage must be displayed at the start of the restriction and repeater signs throughout the area concerned. It's a shame you don't live in Exeter the Rugby club there refund the costs of the permits to residents and their visitors.

Sorry just re read your post and realised you DO live in Exeter, lol!! The Rugby club are supposed to pay for your permits!

Edited by green_and_mean

Just like COVENTRY AIRPORT being clever PARKED out side,time 21.45 left car went in to airport,Come out POLICEMAN DID`T YOU SEE THE SIGN

SLAP £30 FINE PARKING IN A CLEARWAY (NO ROAD MARKINGS):sad:

Just like COVENTRY AIRPORT being clever PARKED out side,time 21.45 left car went in to airport,Come out POLICEMAN DID`T YOU SEE THE SIGN

SLAP £30 FINE PARKING IN A CLEARWAY (NO ROAD MARKINGS):sad:

A clearway does not require road markings that is correct but does need regular repeater signs along its length.

A clearway does not require road markings that is correct but does need regular repeater signs along its length.

Previous to decriminalisation, we would get a yellow sign placed at the estate entrance on matchdays saying something like "Match day - parking for residents only".

Within the estate there are permanent signs saying something like "Residents permits required - Matchdays".

There are no clearway signs (red and blue circular sign) - it's just a housing estate.

Obviously, if you are resident you may not see when the signs at the estate entrance appear. On the few occasions that tickets were issued, the traffic wardens noted cars that were parked before the sign was put up and only ticketed new cars that appeared. The new parking attendents may act differently...the rugby season is a while off though.

www.devon.gov.uk/doc-tunnel-4.pdf?url=/dcc/committee/reports/eec0650hq.pdf

Is an outline of the scheme

I still cannot see why you are concerned? If residents have a permit it doesn't matter if they see the signs or not, surely? Visitors permits are available for people visiting residents on match days. And you say signs are displayed at the start of the estate and throughout. Seems like a sensible well thought out plan to me? The only people that may get caught out are residents with more than 1 car but surely as a resident you would know when matches are on its in the press, online and clearly signed etc

Edited by green_and_mean

G&M

I would have no problems with the scheme if it were needed and if it were properly operated. It's not needed, because the travel plan has been a success. I'm concerned that the sensible operation of it will change now we have new parking attendants.

I would also say that an ex-traffic warden (now our PCSO) told me she thought the scheme was unenforceable because she thought the repeater signs should be explicit - covered up most of the time, and uncovered on match days. But another traffic warden disagreed.

The problems are:

- the rugby club are no longer funding it - unlike what is said in the document.

- you can only get one permit per house.

- you cannot get enough visitors' permits for every match day.

- last season we were given no information as to which were match days

- other (non-Exeter Chiefs) matches are now being played - what counts as a match day?

The only indication of a matchday is given at the entrance of the - very large - estate (there are two road entrances for 600 houses).

OK I reviewed the signs this lunchtime.

Entering the estate there is an urban clearway ends sign (red circle with red cross on a blue background.)

There are no residents-permits only signs for the 0.3 miles to my house. The first sign is 30 metres beyond my house.

So I suspect it is currently unenforceable.

If they intend to enforce it I expect we'll first see a large number of new signs. The road isn't adopted yet, though I understand that technically unadopted roads can be enforced if they are part of the public highway.

sorry but outline schmoutline, that summary is just a piece of paper.

get the sealed TRO and check it - also check that all procedures were followed in creation of the TRO