• Tweets

• a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
    • moved to the debt self help forum. plenty of like threads here to read along with the ones you've done so far..good work. last thing you ever want to do is look at any kind of IVO/BK or anything alike concerning consumer debt, never do that, turns unsecured debts into secured ones in many instances. your best bet for now is p'haps looks at  Options for dealing with your debts: Breathing Space (Debt Respite Scheme) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) sadly you have to go thru one of the free debt charities to invoke that but DON'T be tempted to also open up a DMP with them, just get the Breathing Space done. get that in place that gives you at leasy 60 days buffer you've also goto to realise you'll probably get a default once breathing space is in place, bit if not it might pay you to withhold payments even after BS then p'haps re start payments once a DN for each debt is issued and registered. at least that way, whatever happens in 6yrs the debt will drop off dx  
    • Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Action fraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC Managed Loan Campaign

bb23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am also wondering why they said I had to go on a managed loan.

I have never defaulted with the HSBC. I paid my credit card every month and always paid my initial loan.

I am not happy with them, and the managed loan has two errors on it so far. I am in the process of querying this, will make a complaint and also take it to the Ombudsman when I can.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello - new here but this is just the forum I've been looking for.

I've been trying to figure out how to get out of Managed Loan I was forced into by HSBC in March 2005 when they cancelled my overdraft and rolled up that, credit card and personal loan together into £16,000 (not convinced how they got that number!) at 11% over base rate. They said I had to take it out or they would take me to court and make me bankrupt. Also said I could re-negotiate after 6 months but would not consider it when 6 months had passed, nor after a year, nor after two years passed. Anyway I've now paid nearly £12,000 and still have £14,000 to pay. :-o Lovely people.

Current thinking is to use section 93 (interest not to be increased on default of regulated agreement) of Consumer Credit Act 1974. As the only default I had made was on the original personal loan and am thinking that the imposition of the Managed Loan interest rate is a penalty for the original loan. Any thoughts anyone?

Next, thinking that the provisions of the 2006 Consumer Credit Act relating to unfair relationships might be helpful in that the court must take into account all the circumstances when I entered into the Managed Loan (which I guess would be similar for a lot of people) including the harrassment, the broken promises etc and, from what I understand, it is for the bank to prove that they acted reasonably. Even if there had been a risk to them (given my default) why would they increase their exposure to such risk by extending the term of the loan and not substantially reducing the payments. In addition, there are more than £600 of bank charges which were rolled up into the loan (the majority of the interest free overdraft).

Also, should I be using the court or the Ombudsman?? :?

Anybody have any thoughts on all of the above as I'm sick and tired of paying this every month and not seeing the balance go down - except from some help from global economic collapse lowering the base rate of course!. Feeling very dim for having signed the ruddy thing in the first place.:oops:

Thanks for your response in advance.

PC

Get the letter 'N' off to the bank ASAP you never know luck they might not have the original.

Your situ is so similar to mine ...and my agreement unfortunately:roll: had not been executed properly so I haven't paid a penny since June 2007.

Get the letter off and get the ball rolling.

As for the Ombudsman its up to you.

Get the letter 'N' off to the bank ASAP you never know luck they might not have the original.

Your situ is so similar to mine ...and my agreement unfortunately:roll: had not been executed properly so I haven't paid a penny since June 2007.

Get the letter off and get the ball rolling.

As for the Ombudsman its up to you.

Hi

My managed loan does not appear to be executed properly either. Can I ask what was wrong with yours?

Hi

My managed loan does not appear to be executed properly either. Can I ask what was wrong with yours?

Payments were taken four weekly- when the agreement was calculated monthly.

Therefore Apr was wrong and amount of payments did not match.

I had not dated agreement this was done later by bank official therefore I would not know when my right to cancel started or ended.

It was not signed by me.

Payments were taken four weekly- when the agreement was calculated monthly.

Therefore Apr was wrong and amount of payments did not match.

I had not dated agreement this was done later by bank official therefore I would not know when my right to cancel started or ended.

It was not signed by me.

So how did they let you off with it? Did they write and nicely say it is unenforceable?

Oh dear.. I am wondering now.. because mine comes out on the 1st/2nd/3rd! I am going to see if that's another complaint I have with them!

ETA: Just checked, all mine are legit apart from the first one. They are all Mondays :D Was hoping I would have that on them too! The more inconsistencies the better ;)

Edited by cadencealex

So how did they let you off with it? Did they write and nicely say it is unenforceable?

No I dont have it in writing....An area manager admitted that it had not been drawn up correctly.

Oh dear.. I am wondering now.. because mine comes out on the 1st/2nd/3rd! I am going to see if that's another complaint I have with them!

ETA: Just checked, all mine are legit apart from the first one. They are all Mondays :D Was hoping I would have that on them too! The more inconsistencies the better ;)

I believe that there may be inconsistencies in many agreements drawn up before 2007.

So what does this mean though?

Do they tell you you don't have to pay? What about your details on the credit file? Are they still there? How are they showing?!

My only concern was and is that I now dont pay them anymore.

My credit file is ruined because of charges etc but as I now do not rely on credit it doesnt bother me whats on my file.

Might challenge them when I have finished with getting the loan payments back and personal account charges.

No they haven't told me I dont have to pay on the contrary they continued to try to take payments out of my account after they defaulted.

They took five payments....Well they would have if I hadn't opened a new bank account somewhere else.mrs_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Edited by hsbcfiddled
add text

• 9 months later...

Anyone any update re success with ML? Having written and got the standard 'we helped you by giving you the ml;' Ive carried on by re asking for a copy of my agreement - asking if PPI is on this loan - asked for clarification of term of loan - asked why staff are telling me I have only had the loan since 2006 when I have had statement and proof that it has ran since 2003 - asked why they say Ive made 40 payments when having checked statements I have made 77 - asked to confirm what PPI was on the loans that took me onto the ML asI feel I have a case for the mis selling of it - oh and last but not least why are staff telling me that it is set to run until 2018!! tHATS 15 YRS@£118....180MTHS =21240.00! FOR INITIAL ml OF £5000!!!! Plus I ve also raised the query that as I was one of the lucky people who have already successfully reclaimed bank charges - £2000 from them - as it was charges that led to said loan why hasnt the ML been recalculated to show this??

Anyway folks , had standard response again stating they havent got my old loans to hand so can't tell me if PPI on , so no claim to answer - state that there would be no PPI on ML ( BEG TO DIFFER ) no answer re incorrect information given about term length etc and completely ignored the recalc on ML :-)

I'm not giving up - I have written 1 final letter for clarification on everything , have also sent in templete letter for reclaiming / mis selling and have sent the request for said documentation along with a postal order for there fee.

I recall the conversation with HSBC REGARDING THE ml AS AT THE TIME i WAS IN TEARS DAILY AS i JUST COULDNT SURVIVE ON NOTHING - I was told 7 yrs for the loan term , I wasnt told that a huge amount went on interest - checking statements at the beginning it was nearly £80 / £118 payment - plus HSBC GAVE ME 2 LOANS to cover overdraft/charges and then slammed me with the ML or court / bailiffs etc..

If anyone is told the ML is a way out please please please dont go near it!

Hers hoeing I come back with some good news at some point.

I fought them for over 12 months trying to get it sorted on the basis of an unsigned agreement and after missing deadlines and me taking them RIGHT to the last point they suddenly managed to find the agreement they had been stating didnt exist.

was tough going and disappointing.

the HSBC Managed Loan needs some kind of class action brought against it in my opinion. as it doesnt seem to have acutally ever helped anyone!

HSBC charges WON (april 07): £1,103.00

HSBC PPI WON!!! (July 2008): £1,166.00

HFC PPI WON!!! (August 2008) £2,100:D

March 09: failed the fight to write off HSBC Managed Loan due to non compliance of SAR! after they finally produced my signed loan!

August 10: Fighting TBI for disputed account due to the fact they can't produce my signed loan copy.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all I'm just starting out on my journey in fighting with HSBC with a managed loan that wasn't really explained to me :-( I was forced to take out a managed loan with HSBC on the 10/07/2007 due to a split with a violent ex and me taking on all the debt just to get out of it.

The loan amount was for £23.500.00 and 13.3% variable. Amount owing on 1/09/2012 is still £13.326.00. The loan is over 12 years so I have 7 more years of paying £316 a month. I can't see how this can be fair , they will have had over double what I owed from me by the end. Interest on this by the end will be Interest to pay for loan - 22,002,63 crazy!! Step one done today and request sent for my SAR let's see what happens. How did you guys get on? Any tips? Or advice?

• 11 months later...
Still fighting it as they have lost my loan agreement so with the ombudsman now :-(

hi - sorry haven't had time to go through your thread but back in 2006 ish I had a managed loan with HSBC which they tried to force onto me. Despite having no permission to convert my ordinary loan into a 'managed loan' they tried to whack me for a huge new loan to cover the old one. The total charge for credit and interest increased my debt by approx. £9000 which was not the best thing for someone already in financial hardship, and being in such hardship they were not entitled to increase my indebtedness. It ended up on Channel 4 news and they withdrew it but still put the whole amount on my credit file! I have yet to get that sorted out, but hope this tale gives you some hope, the British Banking Association were also interviewed by Channel 4 and of course, they said, oh we don't know about this particular case. Good luck with your fight with them as they are no different from all the other financial institutions that spend thousands on marketing their 'products' but never admit wrongdoing even when caught red-handed.

• 7 months later...

I got a managed loan in 2008 for just under £25K. I had got myself into an awful mess after being ripped off by an ex boyfriend. Even though I was struggling to balance all my debts I still hadn't defaulted on any payments. I decided to phone my bank (HSBC) and see if they could consolodate all my debts into one loan.

I was told that the maximum personal loan they could give me was only £20,000 so I'd have to go on a managed load instead. It was organised over the phone so and I definitely didn't take in any information on the interest rates (if they were even mentioned to me at all!)I've been paying £328 monthly and recently been topping them up by £30 extra a month. So far in the 6 years I've been paying this debt I've paid HSBC nearly £9000 in interest alone.

What I'm wondering is should I have been put on this type of loan at all if I hadn't defaulted on any payments? I've had no contact from the bank reviewing this loan - am I right in thinking they should be Managing this? Could I have saved hundreds in interest if I'd been put back onto a normal loan? I only stumbled across this thread by accident as I was trying to find a number to contact the Managed Loan team -who I think live underground somewhere in the middle of nowhere without any means of speaking to other human beings.

Ive nearly finished my managed loan, probably have 13 payments max to make.

I was struggling recently and phoned telephone banking to discuss paying a reduction on the £140 month payment. They put me through to someone (who i assume was from the managed loan department) and after going through income and expenditure they agreed to reduce payments to £100 a month for a 3 month period. Anyway to get to the point i was making - they are contactable.

With regards to the selling of the loan to you - well i guess thats a legal and moral minefield!

Did you have to take Payment Protection Insurance out with teh Managed loan as well ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was struggling to meet my repayments for 3 creditcards (1 was hsbc) 1 personal loan and one flexi loan and Overdraft.

I asked for a conciliation loan purely to put all these in one place.

We came up with a figure that paid it all back and at the same time reduced my monthly payment total to an affordable level and £100 per month less than I was paying.

Final approval was "denied" on affordability

Then Offered a "Managed Loan"

I declined the offer.

Thankfully when I did my SAR i specifically asked for this information on the grounds that i believe its evidence of the bank acting unfairly when under financial difficulty. I have the coms log and loan request and refusal etc :) Im biding my time

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to look about managed loans for ages! Just been going through PPI stuff and found my PPI agreement for my managed loan taken out in 2004 - which I am STILL paying off.

At the time I had started a new job, was very young and living in a big city and not earning much - I was racking up quite an overdraft (which HSBC) charged me for - then the phone calls started - almost 10 a day - I would try and speak to them and they said I had to pay all the overdraft back, I said I couldn't and started trying to avoid the phone calls. One day, I crumbled and spoke to them - sobbing, I said I couldn't pay - they said "Hold on - someone will call you back". I received a call from a lovely person - who was very calming but quickly said - they could sort it all out and would consolidate my loan and overdraft into a special managed loan - I don't remember any of the details as was still crying - but I thought it sounded great as they would sort it - and put £50 credit into my account so I could get through the rest of the month!

I have been paying it off ever since - a few years later - I went into the bank to speak to them about it and they couldn't speak to me about it but basically said I can only pay my repayments - or pay the full sum with the interest in one go - but cannot change anything about it otherwise.

Even though, 10 years later - I have no other debt and a good stable well paid job - the managed loan means I can get no credit anywhere, even though i have never defaulted on payments! I can't get a mortgage or a credit card if I wanted one - or an overdraft. Not that I want a credit card or overdraft really - but a mortgage would be nice!

The interest rate is horrific and I was forced PPI for it.

Shall I go to the financial ombudsman about this?

I don't mind paying my debts - but feel this one is a bit over the top and I shouldn't have been forced into it in the beginning when I was in a very vulnerable position.

UGH!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Here is my managed loan story!

I am not denying I owe HSBC money and I am continuing to make the loan repayments on the loan and have never defaulted. However I feel entirely misled and feel I have overpaid interest.

I have been banking with HSBC since 1998. Everything was fine until I became a single mum at the age of 20 in July 2003. I had also been unemployed since May 2003. On 15th August 2003 I requested an overdraft of £100 which HSBC approved. 5 months later (February 04) HSBC increased this to £250 at my request despite being unemployed, a single mother and pretty desperate when it came to money. Within 2 months (April 04) this was again increased to £500.

I was soon hitting my overdraft every month, no surprise given my benefits totalled barely surpassed this amount. Despite this, 5 months later (September 04) HSBC approved a loan of £2000 with an APR of 16.9% - how they calculated I would be able to make repayments, despite constantly exceeding my overdraft and incurring fees, was beyond me!

Within 11 months I was unable to keep up with the repayments and the unauthorised overdraft fees and phoned HSBC in sheer desperation. I merely asked that they reconsidered the loan repayments. They refused and offered another loan of £3390, which would wipe my overdraft now standing at £684.46, pay off my loan which now stood at £2660.02 (despite making payments of £451.20 off a £2000 loan) and would leave me £45.52 of contingency money in my account! They explained it was a managed loan and I would waive my rights to a standard account but my monthly repayments would be £44 and interest was 12.1% much less than my personal loan. I was uncertain, I hadn't wanted to increase my debt, merely recalculate my repayment schedule. To this there response was that my only alternative was bankruptcy.

So with a 2 year old son, no employment and what seemed like no other option I agreed, the paperwork came through the post and was as they had said £44 per month repayments and 12.1% APR, so I signed and returned.

I am still paying that loan 9 years later and my last payment will be July 2017. In that time I will have paid a total of £6204, £2814 in interest and the £3390 capital. Is this 12.1%? I can't see how it is.

HSBC took advantage of my hardship to sell the managed loan to me at a rate that seemed reasonable but was anything but. I feel it was mis-sold, mis-represented and only made my financial circumstances even worse. HSBC had full access to all my transactions and were aware of my inability to successfully manage my finances. For any unemployed, single mother, with little financial knowledge to be sold a loan in any guise is certainly not responsible lending and I hope you would agree.

Not sure what to do with this really, HSBC will just tell me to do one I'm sure!

• 1 month later...

Any updates from anybody?

Although im close to getting rid of this debt im very bitter about how much its cost me in total.

Update; after paying reduced repayments for 3 months (beginning june,july,aug) I was contacted my HSBC by phone, they said my repayments would go back to 140 a month. However ive noted that they still remain 100 (thats what they took from my standard bank ac at beginning of sept & oct). I have to admit im kind of pleased as the extra 40 has helped with my fimances. However, I really should phone them and get it increased as its just going to mean extending my repayments further into 2015 than i would prefer.