Front coil spring on 96 swb transit. How much should it cost

freakyleaky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To replace it? I will be getting quotes for this tomorrow as one has snapped:o on my van. I just wanted a ball park figure so I know I am not being .......erm......overcharged.:)

Oh and are they easy enough to do yourself? Any nasty surprises awaiting or is it as straight forward as Haynes suggest? I have the ball joint separate and spring compressors and can get it chocked up on axel stands.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:D

Ooooooh it's gonna cost yer.... :D (In true style of a grease monkey)

Sorry I couldn't resist, but I don't know either.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

As you already have that type of toolset freaky then I would assume you are competant in doing your own repairs, so yes you should be able to change the spring yourself without any problem.

The only advice I would give you is, don't rely on the spring compressors alone unless they have a 'deep' loop that fits really well over the coil.

Compress them evenly and by the minimum amount required.

Once compressed, if in any doubt as to the stability of the compressors (a set of three is better than a set of two), tie the spring closed using a strong wire. Coathangers are good for this.

• Haha 1

Thanks for that Coniff. I am pretty sure it is straight forward. I just thought i'd ask if anyone knew of any problems that can crop up when doing these.

Thanks for tip on tying the spring. I imagine one of them could take your head off if it came loose.

Can I borrow your hammer Saintly - I've broken my washing machine - arghhhh

Ell

• Haha 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks for that Coniff. I am pretty sure it is straight forward. I just thought i'd ask if anyone knew of any problems that can crop up when doing these.

Thanks for tip on tying the spring. I imagine one of them could take your head off if it came loose.

It is straight forward and when you have done it, you will say to yourself, 'is that it!'.

It is straight forward and when you have done it, you will say to yourself, 'is that it!'.

Oh yes I like jobs like that.:) Thanks friend.

I have just had a quote for a new spring. £32.50 delivered. That sounds fair enough to me.

Well now. Springs must be replaced in pairs. A broken spring can also damage the damper.

Is the single spring you have ordered a genuine one? If not it's likely to be a slightly different height to the other side which is likely to be origional if it's not been changed before.

With a VIN I can get you a pretty accuate price but you'd be foolish to post it in an open forum.

Sadly, you/we are advised not to accept advice via PM.

Oh well. :)

Hammy

Edited by Hammy1962

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Well now. Springs must be replaced in pairs. A broken spring can also damage the damper.

Is the single spring you have ordered a genuine one? If not it's likely to be a slightly different height to the other side which is likely to be origional? if it's not been changed before.

With a VIN I can get you a pretty accuate?? price but you'd be foolish to post it in an open forum.

Sadly, you/we are advised not to accept advice via PM.

Oh well. :)

Hammy

Well now. Springs should be replaced in pairs. Really. :o

I can't believe a mechanic would have told me differently. If a mechanic has told me it is ok to replace a spring on one side only, is he then telling me lies?:o I don't know. Ford main dealers eh.:rolleyes:

OH well I suppose I should learn not to trust them. Thanks for the tip.

And why would you need a VIN number to ascertain the price of a coil spring? The guy at fords didn't want the vin number. Just shows you he hasn't got a clue.

OH and I will be contacting Haynes and suggesting that they may want to mention that springs MUST be replaced in pairs.

Glad to see you have taken on board the advice you were given about advice via PM. Keep spreading the word would you.:)

Hmmmm

Was he a mechanic or a Technician. I think you will find any Technician worth the qualification would fit a pair. The choice is yours.

I don't think you spoke to anyone at Ford (Note the capitalisation as it's a manufacturer!) I think you spoke to a Parts person at a Ford Dealer. Now they might be good and know thousands of FINIS (Capitalised as it's an acronym) codes but I doubt it. I would hope they would have asked you for a reg or VIN to make sure they supplied the correct part. I would expect a Transit to have a varied selection of differently rated springs to cater for all the different applications that applies to Transit. Good luck with him picking the right one.

If you had risked me stealing your identity with a VIN in a PM I was going to offer you the listed FINIS for your vehicle plus the book time for fitting a pair of springs. That offer is still there.

I personally have never opened a Haynes manual but if I had I wouldn't admit to it on a forum.

Hammy

For those sad folks that are interested "FINIS" is Ford International Numerical Indexing System

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Hmmmm

Was he a mechanic or a Technician. I think you will find any Technician worth the qualification would fit a pair. The choice is yours.

I don't think you spoke to anyone at Ford (Note the capitalisation as it's a manufacturer!) I think you spoke to a Parts person at a Ford Dealer. Now they might be good and know thousands of FINIS (Capitalised as it's an acronym) codes but I doubt it. I would hope they would have asked you for a reg or VIN to make sure they supplied the correct part. I would expect a Transit to have a varied selection of differently rated springs to cater for all the different applications that applies to Transit. Good luck with him picking the right one.

If you had risked me stealing your identity with a VIN in a PM I was going to offer you the listed FINIS for your vehicle plus the book time for fitting a pair of springs. That offer is still there.

I personally have never opened a Haynes manual but if I had I wouldn't admit to it on a forum.

Hammy

For those sad folks that are interested "FINIS" is Ford International Numerical Indexing System

You could be right there. He could have been a technician. (note no capitalisation as it's not a name ;))

And he didn't actually aask (note the double a as I felt like it) me for VIN or reg. Just year, model and engine size. I am afraid I do trust him though as I have had the same advice from several other reputable suppliers. (Oh and what a surprise, the Ford dealer was the highest quote!)

Why do you have a downer on Haynes? How can you condemn something you have never read?:confused:

And thanks for the offer Hammy. I won't take you up on it though as I live by the once bitten twice shy rule. But I would appreciate a ball park figure to fit just the one spring. Oh and would you take a chance on using a vehicle with a broken spring?:) Whats the worst that can happen?

Should suggests there is a choice. For me there is not.

It's a 12 year old Transit, fit just 1 spring and it will lean or handle funny.

Forget the legalities FL can do what he wants. If my hands were the last Technicians to touch the vehicle it would have 2.

Take it or leave it.

Hammy

Edited by Hammy1962

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Don't know what you mean by once bitten, twice shy, as far as I can remember I've never bitten you!

If I got a Decorator to paper my lounge and he pulled out a "Decorating for Idiots" book. I'd be worried.

Same with a Technician and a Haynes Manual.

Hammy

Edited by Hammy1962
  • Haha 1

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Hang on a minute. I think, and always have, that you know what you are talking about and will take on board what you are saying. If I am doing one I might as well do the 2.

It is a 12 year old transit but with only 75k on the clock and it looks like new. It really is in good condition and I want to keep it that way.

What would i expect to pay a garage for this work?

Don't know what you mean by once bitten, twice shy, as far as I can remember I've never bitten you!

If I got a Decorator to paper my lounge and he pulled out a "Decorating for Idiots" book. I'd be worried. Same with a Technician and a Haynes Manual.

Hammy

No I didn't mean bitten by you. I have however had my personal information used in the past so I am careful with it these days.

Haynes are usually pretty hot with the safety advice but in this case they mention nothing about doing the 2 at the same time whereas they do recommend doing both dampers and both rear springs.

Hi FL

Sorry, had to go away for a bit.

Labour time for 1 is 0.6Hrs. 1Hr for both. If I remember the spring sits on the lower arm, not around the damper, to replace it all you do is drop the lower arm to replace the spring. You shouldn't need the compress's.

Hammy

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Yes the spring sits on the lower arm. As far as i can see you don't need to touch the dampers acept to allow access to the bolt securing the roll bar?/ lower arm? but I imagine you could get an open ended spanner on it without touching the damper.

I wasn't sure about the compressors but I don't know what size the spring is when it is opened out. I will give it a go next weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

All done and dusted. I replaced both springs in the end. I also replace both track rod ends while I was at it. It took me 4 hours from start to finish and the parts cost me £75.

The cheapest quote from a garage was £380.00.

Well chuffed.:)

Thanks for everyones help.

Well done :)

The garage quote is not a bad one if you consider they have to pay gas, water and electricity, (hugh prices above domestic), and then business rates and rent, wages and profit.

So when can I book in for a service then :)

All done and dusted. I replaced both springs in the end. I also replace both track rod ends while I was at it. It took me 4 hours from start to finish and the parts cost me £75.

The cheapest quote from a garage was £380.00.

Well chuffed.:)

Thanks for everyones help.

Just make sure you dont break anything else :rolleyes::p