Three - advice needed on getting a good renewal deal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm with 3 at the mo with two 18 month contracts - one for me and one for my flatmate. due for renewal in july and I have already had a call offering an "upgrade" i.e - change this contract two months early for another one.

Now I am very happy with 3, and the renewal tarrif is very suitable (mix and match 500 at £18/month) for my needs, so I would liek to stay BUT.....

I want a better phone! They have offered the Nokia 6500 slide on both contracts, which has good features (and flatmate has said he wouldn't mind it as he's not that bothered on what he gets), but I don't like it - it's ugly!

I want a Nokia N95 8gb. But they want me to pay extra for it (a deal not really worth it). Now in the past sales staff have slobbered at the chance of getting two contracts in one go, and I have always managed to get the phone I want (within reason) or at least a few extra goodies thrown in.

But 3 won't budge! I've always managed to negotiate a better deal on renewals, but al they are offering is what you can get as a new customer anyway.

Am I being ureasonable or are mobile retailers clamping down on making deals now? Flattery, stong hints at leaving etc have all failed. If anyone has any suggestions they are welcome!

hiya!!

the short answer.. yes!

basically its a bit longwinded to explain but i'll try to do it in the easiest way i can :)

with an upgrade, the discount available usually goes on the last 3 months bills and usage. if you dont have many people calling YOU or texsting YOU then 3 arent making much money from you. whether you use your phone to call out or text alot or not. thats not where a network makes money.

It sounds like they are offering a kind of web match of a new customers deal.

My best advice.. shop around with other networks.. see what you can get.

you will not get an N95 8gb for free for £18 a month.. sorry but it would leave 3 or any other network with a loss on your contract. Remember these companies are businesses...

you can take your current numbers with you and bottom line is if you arent happy with your provider you should move to another.

one last thing to remember which is VERY true.

you buy cheap, you buy twice. the cheapest deal may seem good but where are the company skimping? customer service? after sales? technical team? repair service?

sometimes its worth an extra couple of quid to KNOW that you are going to get the best service for the whole 18 months. not just while you sign the paper work

hope that helps. :)

If i have helped you please click the scales :)

I am here on my own quest for help, although i work for T-Mobile and will gladly assist where i can i am not here as a company representative.

I am not legally qualified, if in doubt seek professional assistance :)

I was going to leave 3 when my last contract finished, and phoned to cancel. As I was technically out of contract, they immediately offered what was effectively a half-price deal. I was on the maximum deal at the time £60/month. They reduced this to £0 for the first month of a new contract, £10 for the second month, and then 10 months at £35 (works out to £30/month over 12 months).

In my experience, it seems its better to wait until the contract is at an end (after which time, it's just a months notice, but it continues until you say so), and then just say you have a better deal elsewhere... dont tell them any details though. I'm sure they will come back with a great deal for you, but push for 12 months.

The only thing I didn't get was a new phone, but not bothered, because the phone I have, I think is great(K880i). If you are happy with your current phone, then great.

Basically, don't do anything to renew, until the current 18 months has expired. You are in the driving seat then.

I'm thinking of going to Orange (unless people slag them off in reply lol) when the current contract is up.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Agree with the above, if you want to renew before the contract has expired then you basically get what you're given. Speak to them about a week before it ends, and before you contact them find out what deal you can get elsewhere, and let them know this. Then if they don't match it, you can go elsewhere and get the other deal.

3 weren't budging with me, but I could get the phone I wanted on T Mobile and the T Mobile Flext tariff was a lot better than what 3 were offering - in the end I got the phone with 3, and they basically copied the T Mobile Flext tariff, and gave me a slight discount off the line rental. I only managed to get this because I told them I was going to go elsewhere, and I would have been happy to do so.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

such a shame when networks have to copy other networks tariffs though isnt it... youd think they could come up with something themselves wouldnt you? ;)

and as for orange, check the coverage, its only 85% of the uk ;)

vodafone/o2/t mobile are all 99.6%8-)

I am here on my own quest for help, although i work for T-Mobile and will gladly assist where i can i am not here as a company representative.

Thanks guys - lots of info there.

Have been with T mobile and orange in the past and to be honest I wasn't impressed with their customer service - something which Three, in my view seem to be pretty good at (and believe me, I am harsh when it comes to these things). when things have gone wrong, Three have been pretty good.

In fact today, one of the mobiles got lost. Three's response was brilliant - checked calls made since last known usage - cancelled costs on calls I didn't recognise since last usage (two in total which turned out to be the local cop shop and a friend's number which I didn't remember by the number - the finder was trying to contact with me), checked any insurance and offered advice (stuff I knew already but they volunteered it) - very fast and efficient.

It's just that when I hear the word "upgrade" I expect something better than I already have and better than something I could get as a new customer. In short, they are only offering what they would offer anyone else anyway.

Have done T Mobile in the past who were great in offering to match other price plans, but their customer service is diabolical. It is possible I wold switch to them (and woe betide them if they tried anything with me now) depending on whether they would give me the phone I want on the price plan I want.

Never had a problem with 3's coverage. and as for Orange - they have the worst customer service I have experience as a customer. Vodaphone have the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with (there is a post by me somewhere on my brothers lost phone saga). I wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole.

I think I will wait towards the end, get an offer of T Mobile (hopfeully as barracad says better than 3's current efforts) and see if 3 will match.

Shame though. 3 said firstly the N95 8gb is rubbish (well Which? testing and several other reviewers hold it in high regard and it has everything i want) and another person said that because it is expensive they charge a higher price for it. Well, after my university education which focusses on pricing law, practice and "cons", I know better.

Perhaps some persuading of two contracts at the last second being lost might change their mind.

And GNI03349 especially- thank you for the constructive advice. You know what I mean and many others could learn, myself included.

The subsidy on a N95 8Gb is high for any network, and if you are on a low monthly tariff or have a low average bill spend then you will be expected to pay for it.

This phone is only at no cost on £35 and above 18 month contracts to new customers, and for existing customers the price will be dependant upon the network's retention budget allocated to your account. If your budget is less than the cost of the phone, you will be expected to pay for it.

On a personal note the N95 8Gb is not as good as it's made out to be, from system issues to memory access time all being reasons for high return rates on this phone.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

indeed installspark :) fully agree!

seriously go see t-mobile.. the customer service is one the most highly regarded in the industry now and going into store is the best way to do it.. we're all lovely :)

Why do you specifically want the N95 8gb anyway? You could just get the 'normal' N95 on a better tariff, and put an 8GB MicroSD card in it.

...or get the LG Viewty instead - Nokia phones aren't all they're made out to be.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I'm thinking of going to Orange (unless people slag them off in reply lol) when the current contract is up.

:D I've just left Orange last week after been a customer for almost 11 years, and having 3 phones all on over £35 per month. plus only took 2 upgrades in the total time with them (easier to buy an unlocked and unbranded handsets)

These are my opinions only, after Oranged closed and relocated one of the UK contact centres to Mumbai, it all went down hill

Customer Service became usless, billing problems started after speaking with someone in Mumbai, phone got disconnected due to this person making a mistake, reconnected but a different number (eventually got the original number back no sooner than 6 days later!)

Only good thing I can say about Orange is the technical support is still first class, everything else went down hill.

When we requested the Porting Authorisation Code from Orange, we got offered almost everything including the kitchen sink i think, but it wasn't enough, got a much much much better deal else where.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

.....got a much much much better deal else where.

... which was with who...?

I'm almost persuaded not to go to Orange now, and I have to admit that 3 do some good deals (especially for existing customers... and you happen to be out of contract - not near the end, but out of...).

... which was with who...?

I'm almost persuaded not to go to Orange now, and I have to admit that 3 do some good deals (especially for existing customers... and you happen to be out of contract - not near the end, but out of...).

O2

Thanks

- Hobbie

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Well the N95 GB has good reviews on all websites I've seen, especially the official Which? review. It's predecessor received a very bad score and review, whilst other reviews were equally uncharitable towards it.

It doesn't HAVE to be the n95 - something as good will do.

I just expect that, with two contracts in one go, both 18 months, previous custom and the fact that i was paying way over the odds for the current contract (my own fault) would lend themselves to a bit of give. And like I said, "upgrade" means getting something better. I'm not getting taht.

Well good news. The guys at Phones 4 U (shudder) got me upgraded onto the tarriff I wanted and also gave me the phones I wanted for both contracts. Just hope I haven't been given a pile of tat...

...well it seems I have sort of.

Firstly, the memory card supplied doesn't even fit in because the card is too big. So much for the excellent memory capacity.

Secondly, the phone isn't new because there are a couple of photographs already on it taken in-store!

Thirdly, battery life if pretty poor. Did all teh charging business before use and there's only about half the battery life left after a few phone calls, one text and a couple of photos. Not very good really.

If they think they're getting away with this they've got another thing coming...

Also, I was stuck between teh N95 and the LG Viewty. Anyone got any views?

One of the problems with battery life IMO, is that, becasue they try to make the phones so small these days, the battery power (and therefore life, before recharge), is quite small from the start.

One of the causes of the battery discharging quickly is if you have the phone set to 3G all the time... that is a huge drain on the power. If you can get away with not using 3G, then switch it off. I found out the hard way lol.

My contract is almost up and I'm tempted by the viewty too. I've had a play with it in store (a live one), and it actually seems quite quick. It has a decent size screen, and the response of the touch screen is good. The only thing I didnt like so much was that if you have more items on a screen that will fit and get a scroll bar down the side, its tiny.. took a while to get used to how to scroll down, but it was fine after I sussed that. I'm quite impressed with LG in general actually.

Although I like the phones that Nokia produce, I've gone off them. I think it was around the time of the N80, although that wasn't the reason I went off them. I think it was because the software was slow. It might have improved, but I havent really bothered to check any Nokias recently.

My personal choice for my new contract will either be Sony-Ericsson (again.. I like them), or LG (Viewty).

I suppose it really comes down to what you want the phone to do... function.. or look good lol.

That's too true. If ony they could cross a viewty touchscreen with N95's packed features with sony Erricson W910i's ever so sexy look and thinness then I would be the happiest bunny alive! not asking a lot is it?

What happened to the days when a phone was just that.... "A PHONE" something to make and receive calls? :)

OK I use a Windows Mobile phone, but only because I have to for the email.

Bring back the good old phones, where you needed to carry a back pack round with you just for the battery :D

Thanks

- Hobbie

My contract is almost up and I'm tempted by the viewty too. I've had a play with it in store (a live one), and it actually seems quite quick. It has a decent size screen, and the response of the touch screen is good. The only thing I didnt like so much was that if you have more items on a screen that will fit and get a scroll bar down the side, its tiny.. took a while to get used to how to scroll down, but it was fine after I sussed that. I'm quite impressed with LG in general actually.

Yes the scroll bar is small, but the viewfinder for the camera on the rear of the phone acts as a scroll wheel - very clever. It's a great phone in my opinion.

That's too true. If ony they could cross a viewty touchscreen with N95's packed features

Other than the GPS (which I've heard is less than adequate) - I'm not entirely sure there's anything an N95 will do that a Viewty can't. The bonus with the Viewty of course is the fantastic touchscreen - I find myself pressing the screen on other people's phones as it just comes so naturally and you forget not all phones do it! Plus the N95 is a brick - phones were getting smaller and smaller and they bring out that huge thing! I went off Nokia phones completely when I had my N73 replaced several times and each one kept crashing.

I agree... seems like the phone part was an afterthought for these gadgets. You dont have to use a windows mobile phone for email.. plenty of the others do it, but they are the ones that have gps, music, video etc etc etc anyway lol.

The thing is... I think we'd be lost without mobiles as they are now... well I know I would be.

You dont have to use a windows mobile phone for email.. plenty of the others do it

But not with ActiveSync PushEMail, unless of course you use a Blackberry, and I may as well carry a messenger pigeon if I had to use a Blackberry.

Thanks

- Hobbie

You didnt tell me were running a full blown office on it lol. Mine does push-email and its "sync's", but not activesync as such. I dont use it for email so much anyway, so maybe all i need is a thing that just makes phone calls... oh for the simple life. Having said that...

Back to the Viewty... the hands on I had in-store was good, but only from the front. The 3 stores have live phones, but they behind a clear case, so i couldnt access the back... nice to know though. I think I've narrowed it down now to the Viewty... and the Samsung 'Soul'. Now just have to convince 3 to get some Samsung phones, or give me a good deal on the Viewty...

and as for orange, check the coverage, its only 85% of the uk ;)

vodafone/o2/t mobile are all 99.6%8-)

not true.

the 99%+ that is quoted by vodafone, o2 and t-mobile is POPULATION not geographic area. Orange are just as good as the other networks, if not better.

[ex-vodafone employee here! (networks)]