Nationwide - could this be useful?

martinwhite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote to Nationwide to let them know that, as I am currently up to my overdraft limit, there was some money coming in in a couple of days, and could they offer a temporary extension of my limit in light of this.

Here's the response, unedited, except for me putting * either side of what I consider the useful bit.

-------------------------------------

Dear Mr White,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you have been experiencing regarding this matter.

I am afraid that notifying us before an item may be or is going to be returned is not a facility we offer. *The systems we use are mainly automated and the rates of interest we pay and the charges we make are based on this. So many items are presented each day that it is not possible to monitor each account manually. *We will try wherever possible to help you manage your account, but it is ultimately the Member's responsibility to ensure they have sufficient cleared funds available to meet authorised payments.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Rafiq Miah

Nationwide Direct

http://www.nationwide.co.uk

Nationwide. Proud to be different.

If you reply to this message, please include the Tracking Number below in the body of the mail. This will enable us to process your message more efficiently.

------------------------------

End

So - what about the guy on Moneybox saying that two people have to manually intervene to return items?

Should I pick up on this message now, and ask directly if items are returned manually or automatically?

Thanks for this. Can you scan and pm to Dave or Bankfodder.

In your DPA request, did you ask for records of manual intervention?

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

scan to [email protected] Please. Very useful -especially so in a case which is going on at the moment and we woud like to use this.

yes. Thanks

Hi,

See the other thread "Nationwide - Just starting" for the complete request.

Do you think it would be a bit too obvious, or should I now reply and ask for confirmation that if an item is returned that this is done automatically?

Incidentally, some years ago, whilst still with Nationwide, i complained that I had been charged more for returning a DD than the DD was actually for. I was told, very apologetically, that they used to be able to manually intervene and use common sense, but now it's all automated and they can't intervene no matter how illogical.

How interesting.

More corroboration for the automated rejection of DDs: This message received today from Nationwide....[my emphasis added]

Interesting now, though, that they are asking me if I want to challenge the charges!

(BF/Dave, I can PM you the tracking number if you want to use this one as well. Just let me know.....

Dear Mr White,

Thank you for your message.

I have checked your account records and confirm the direct debits to xxxxxxxxxxxxx and yyyyyyyyyyyyyy were returned unpaid, due to insufficient cleared funds in your account. At the time these were claimed from your account, funds had been reserved from your available balance in favour of two VISA purchases for the amounts of £13.99 and £82.33 respectively. I can also see the balance of your account was also affected by a £40 cashwithdrawal originally made on the 4th March and not debited from your account until the 6th March 2006.

From looking at your accounts records, I can see these two direct debit payments would have taken your account over your agreed overdraft and a decision was made by our automated systems to return these unpaid.

I can see from your records you have incurred two returned direct debit fees for the amount of £30 each. You will receive notification of the charges in your next FlexAccount statement and these will be debited from your account 28 days from the date the statement is issued.

If you would like to dispute the charges incurred, please forward the following information once notification has been received:

The statement number detailing the charges?

Answer:

The reason you are requesting a refund of these charges?

Answer:

Once this information is received, the charges will be referred to our Branch Service Centre for their consideration.

Regards,

Lesley McGowan

Senior Customer Advisor

Nationwide Direct

http://www.nationwide.co.uk

Nationwide. Proud to be different.

If you reply to this message, please include the Tracking Number below in the body of the mail. This will enable us to process your message more efficiently.

TRACKING NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you.Sorry for asking stupid question. You would not believe ..... but maybe you would.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

As I said to Bookworm, interesting that they now pre-empt the challenge to charges, but I can't challenge, (according to their rules, for what they are worth) until AFTER the money has been taken!!

Why am I not surprised.

there is a story I heard on a Tony Robbins CD about how you can guarantee success in any area if you are the one making the rules!

Thanks for the copy. Was this sent by email? or by some webmail system as the copy which I have received has no headers etc.

Going through old messages. Back in October, I asked for an increase in my overdraft (all eaten up by fees!) and got this in my reply:

The overdraft facility available to members can change on a daily basis and is governed by an automated system. This system monitors the amount of credits and debits transactions on an account and then calculates the amount of an overdraft that will be permitted.

So - what is there left for the staff members to do and run up costs on?

Screenshot of the full message, as usual, available to Reasearch and Admin on request! :D

yes please - research@

Also the bit I quoted earlier in this thread about "the systems we use are maily automated" is obviously a standard reply as its included, verbatim, in another message dated Jan 2004.

Just so they can't say that it's the opinion of one advisor and not the opinion of the building society etc etc etc.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks