• Tweets

• 4 th time we've merged your threads  for complete history of your story please keeps to one thread
    • @dx100uk @ anyone else interested in Fighting HSBC UK  Staff/department non compliance and incompetence/interference in between HSBC UK and customers.   I wanted to know what you guys had to say about the reply i got from HSBC UK today.    Recap. I originally turned to HSBC UK to be reunited with Money i saved in accounts that where frozen and made dormant during the year 1995.   HSBC UK Teams tell me that HSBC UK only allows them to have access to account records dated back 6 years. there for they do not have the records, can not locate the records i requested for in my SAR. there for HSBC UK teams Ignored my SAR application for records of accounts made frozen and dormant during the year 1995. HSBC then claim if the accounts where closed they will no longer hold records of these accounts and tell that to the ICO. I again explained to HSBC UK and the ICO the records of accounts where left frozen and dormant.   HSBC UK teams continue to tell me over the phone that The records i requested for in my SAR, will not be located or do not exist because HSBC only allows them to have access to records of accounts dated back 6 years.    I returned to HSBC highlighting there is no such provision in the Data Protection Act.   HSBC UK teams today totally ignored my complaint again and confirmed with me they are classing my complaint as wanting to locate accounts that where closed.   Let me know what you think about the  HSBC UK teams response to my last complaint. Is there any other letters i can send them to confirm thay are not correct about what they have done.    The HSBC UK letter starts of by:You've been unable to recover funds you held in HSBC UK Accounts that were closed in 1994 to 1995, and to obtain the account details for the accounts concerned. You've been advised that we only retain records for up to 6 years, but you've been unable to locate any provision for this within the Data Protection Act (DPA). You require a Certificate of Destruction from HSBC UK to evidence the destruction of the data concerned. You feel your Subject Access Request (SAR) has been ignored by HSBC UK.   HSBC UK Teams now go on to explain: In respect of you being advised we only retain records for up to 6 years, but having been unable to locate any  provision for this within the Data Protection Act (DPA), I can confirm that under the DPA, we are obliged to only keep records for as long as we deem necessary, in order to effectively manage our data. So, for most cases, this will be for no more than 6 years.   In regards to your request for a Certificate of Destruction from HSBC UK to evidence the destruction of the data concerned, I regret that this isn't something that we can provide, as we don't keep records of when individual customer data was destroyed. I'd also like to clarify that if the accounts concerned were closed after becoming dormant, that we would have sent you closing statements at the time.   Lastly, I'm sorry you feel we've ignored your SAR. I want to assure you that we'll always look to accommodate a request for a SAR as best as we can. However, if we're unable to locate the account details and information required, this will mean we're unable to fulfil the request, which has unfortunately been the case on this occasion.   How else do you think i can highlight to HSBC that the teams dealing with My complaint, and request to be reunited with my money is not going to departments that can deal with my demand for services.?  
    • Hi   I have to agree if you have paid off the debt owed to them via this meter and are up to date on your bills  I would look at changing supplier and as said asking new supplier to install a standard meter and look for the best deals for you.
    • I have severe anxiety and going to leave my job and have been invited to a meeting but dont wish to attend that is three hours away from where I am. Can I legally give the  permission to decide without my being there? I cannot handle going as I know I'm going to be fired anyway as on my final warning. I'm also giving in my notice this week too! This job is just too much for me now and I cannot work here any longer. It's no good for my health and sanity  I am sick to my stomach thinking about going and about to hand my notice in anyway    
    • Thankyou it’s because I’m awaiting the outcome and a friend said I will be turned down as I asked them a while back if I had ppi on the account and how much it was and they replied.  But they did only send me a short confirmation with the amount and that they trust that answers my enquiry. i just wanted to be prepared if they wouldn’t turn me down based on that. Thanks for your advice on that mate 
  • Our picks

Jackanory

Jackanory Vs Egg ***WON***

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4131 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Right then, after last year successfully getting £1100 back from HSBC, now it's Egg's turn! Like a lot on here it seems, they have taken my card away despite never missing a payment and not going over my limit in 2 years. I requested my statements, paid a tenner and hey presto - they owe me £*** plus interest. Which will pay for my holiday this year, thanks Egg!

I wrote my first letter on April 20th, got the standard "we think our charges are valid" letter back from someone called Sheila Hood. I've now sent letter 2 (LBA), I have about £600 outstanding on my account so I've added on the letter that "I will only accept complete payment by form of cheque, any offer to fully, or partially credit my account will be rejected as being completely unacceptable".

Will keep everyone one here informed.... Would be good to hear from anyone else at a similar stage or, in particular, anyone that has requested payment by cheque rather than account credit?

Edited by Jackanory

I requested payment by cheque and accepted payment (in full without interest) by BACS. My thread is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/134069-steveh2508-egg.html

Nationwide - Prelim sent 02/07 - MCOL filed 04/07 CHARGES SETTLED IN FULL!!

Woolwich- Prelim sent 04/07 - Offered 90% - 06/07 accepted

MBNA - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 03/07 - CCA reply (illegible + no T&Cs) - DCA sent packing - Restons now trying - gone quiet

Citicard - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 04/07 - replied 04/07 No contract & not enforcing!- passed to 1st Credit- gone quiet

Egg - Prelim sent 02/08 - 3 letters - full offer 03/08 SETTLED IN FULL!!

(All starry, rep, clicky thingies gratefully received!)

Cheers, very helpful actually, some top quality letters in there too! Any reason why you didn't chase the interest?

I believe Egg would be more disposed, if so requested, to pay any moneys into your own bank account (sortcode, accno). If a cheque is sent and it goes astray or is intercepted, regardless of crossed or not, it can be cashed quite easily these days using an unscrupulous cheque cashing shop.

Another reason why Egg ask for proof of ID and utility bill when statements are requested.

Good luck.

Edited by Mistermind
typo

Cheers, very helpful actually, some top quality letters in there too! Any reason why you didn't chase the interest?

Speed - lack of hassle - certainty of outcome - I took a value judgement that they would roll over for the basic amount fairly easily and I have other things to do with my time than argue with that crowd (in or out of court). They took a 'commercial decision' - I took a commercial decision - who do you think was right? :grin:

MBNA - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 03/07 - CCA reply (illegible + no T&Cs) - DCA sent packing - Restons now trying - gone quiet

Citicard - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 04/07 - replied 04/07 No contract & not enforcing!- passed to 1st Credit- gone quiet

Right then, Egg have offered me a £4 refund on all 20+ charges that were £20. It mentions in the letter that the OFT stated that the presumption of unfairness in relation to charges over £12 would NOT apply and specifically refer to Egg's practice of requiring all account holders to have a direct debit set up.

It also says "you allege these charges are a penalty. You put forward no evidence to support this and we do not accept it" I thought as I am contacting them they are the ones required to show me evidence to prove that they are justified at £12, £16 or £20?

I'm going to push for court proceedings now, should I use MCol or go to a court direct? Do I have to wait for the 14 days to pass after my LBA before I can do this or can I do it now? I suppose I need to send the old "I accept your offer of £*** but will only accept this as a part payment for the full amount of £*** that I want paid by cheque or BACS transfer" etc?

Your help, as always, is very much appreciated!

It is your case to run as you see fit.

Forum experience is that the court route will only slow down repayment. Egg does not stall and resist like other cards. The £4 offer Eggployees just sent you is their red herring template letter which they are obliged by upstairs to send out. They do not believe CAG claimants will be put off, but are obliged to try. It is a choreographed dance, already performed many times in the past.

A letter in plain English, such as the one below, is generally sufficient to produce a result, sometimes within the week -- provided your claim figures are accurate.

03 weeks
- 22 JAN 2008 -
WINNING TEMPLATE LETTER
- andrew_nwide -
WON!! Egg Smashed £900

Excellent, I'll send it recorded delivery first thing tomorrow ala the superb example on the link you attached. To be fair Egg have been very quick in responding so I'll give them a week (maybe 2) from tomorrow for them to respond before I go legal on them.

As you can see from my thread and from Mistermind's post they are just producng the standard boiler-plated letters, hoping that you will take the money and run. Stick with it and they will pay up in full.

Think of it from their point of view, if 1 in a 100 of those letters saves them a payout or reduces it from £20 to £4 an item they are quids in over the thousands of claims they deal with.

Letter sent special delivery this morning. They have a week to respond otherwise County Court it is. I will only accept a 100% offer and that has to be via BACS or cheque, anything less then they will get served their summons.

Just been offered the full amount + interest, a 100% refund - to a bank account of my choice. Victory - Chalk it on the list of Egg victors! As soon as the money is in my account a donation will be made to the site.

Cheers for the help.

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Well done

Steven

Using CAG Toolbar will generate much needed income - Download Here

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

GE Money Won unconditionally May 2007

NatWest Won unconditionally August 2007

Brighthouse Won unconditionally August 2007

Goldfish Won unconditionally April 2008 (including CI on the basis of Sempra)

Clydesdale Financial Services (now BPF) Won unconditionally February 2008

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.

Congratulations!

Don't like to say 'I told you so - but - I told you so!' They coughed given enough pushing.

Like me, they closed your account so we thought 'don't get mad - get even'

I wonder how much their 'commercial decision' has cost them? :D

HI Jackanory

Egg have just offered me a full refund plus interest after a few letters back and forth. However my account was one of the ones terminated and they are refusing to give the money in form of cheque or bacs - I can't afford to donate or even to start next claim if this happens as the money will just go to paying off 1/10th of the outstanding balance...... could you give me any clues as to your obviously winning arguments as to why the money should be paid to bank account not to defunct Egg account?

Many thanks

Moobelle