STAT DEMAND RECEIVED - NO SLEEP, CAN'T EAT - Advice appreciated!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Sunday 27th April I received a Stat demand from local borough council for Council Tax of 2394.00.. Monday 28th wrote and acknowledged the demand, enclosed copy of all communications to creditors and payment schedules, copies of income and expenditures, plus a repayment offer of 100.00 June 1st and 50.00pcm thereafter (1st of month). Yesterday I got home to a letter from borough council basically telling me 'F off, we want 400.00 to set up arrangements, added to the figure which must be paid by 6 months gives a minimum repayment of 475.00pcm. Pay this by 18th May or arrange to pay via these instalments over the next 6 months or we will bankrupt you'

I rang the borough council this morning and met with the same response from the woman who sent the letter. Do I..

a) go to my boss for the whole amoount and repay it from my salary

b) go to court and swear an affadavit to set aside the petition on the grounds that the borough council have had a repayment offer made to them and refused it out of being plain pedantic...

c) just roll over and take it

Haven't slept all night nor had dinner last night and really could do with some sound advice....

Joncris

I think its a bluff but at the same time am still scared witless as never had to deal with this before!!

Basically I work f/t in London, my home is privately rented and the debt is from 07/08 c/tax and a previous few months' from 05/06, 06/07..

No loans, c/cards, store cards, my bank a/c is Halifax cardcash (used to use Barclays current but thats closed and charges being claimed back from them) no real assets as such - no bonds, shares etc etc..

The law states you have 21 days in which to pay the total sum due on the Statutory Demand. You have 18 days to apply to the Court to have the Statutory Demand set aside.

You could act on your own behalf by applying within 18 days to your local County Court to "set aside" the Statutory Demand under one of the following circumstances?

The amount of money owed is incorrect.

The sum owed is less than £750.

The demand has been issued in error.

You are able to pay by instalments, in a lump sum or can have it secured against your property.

There is a counterclaim that debt is more than you owe.

Who are the solicitors acting for the council?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Joncris

I think its a bluff but at the same time am still scared witless as never had to deal with this before!!

Basically I work f/t in London, my home is privately rented and the debt is from 07/08 c/tax and a previous few months' from 05/06, 06/07..

No loans, c/cards, store cards, my bank a/c is Halifax cardcash (used to use Barclays current but thats closed and charges being claimed back from them) no real assets as such - no bonds, shares etc etc..

Have you been making any payments off the arears & can you now pay something direct to the council, no matter how small

Who are the solicitors acting for the council?

Please don't laugh but the council have sent the SD themselves - no solicitors...

Joncris

I have been paying my C/tax for 2008 , April 74.00 and May 71.00.. the sender of the letter at the bc has told me these payments are being deducted from the 2394.00 - so effectively, my C/tax for 08 isn't being paid! Fuming!!

Edited by Dons2008
Typo

Bumping this - Does anybody have any advice as to whether I should get the SD set aside due to the creditor refusing my offer of repayments, or should I wait to speak to my boss Wednesday about loaning the money against my salary... I am so stressed and worried by this and don't know what else to do... C.A.B. have a waiting list of 3+ weeks for a money advisor and obviously I can't wait that long to see someone....

Thanks

the creditor refusing my offer of repayments

Didn't they give you the chance to pay in instalments initially? My local authority allow me to pay mine in ten instalments. I'm not sure your set-aside application on these grounds might be unsuccessful.

C.A.B. have a waiting list of 3+ weeks for a money advisor and obviously I can't wait that long to see someone....

have you considered speaking to a money adviser over the 'phone?

you can call one straight away at National Debtline: 0808 808 4000

OK

I took this morning off work to go to CAB and they advised me to revise my repayment offer. I went over to the council and spoke to the Senior Finance Officer and put my offer of 200.00/month to her and she accepted right away.

Now there is a letter coming out to me this afternoon summarising everything and forms for me to complete and return... Phew! Got it dealt with at last

Thanks everyone for your help! x