urgent help needed re: fiances manager

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys

my fiance has been having numerous issues with his manager which boils down to bullying and intimidation.

he has begun a process tonight through HR to have this documented as a formal complaint.

the manager has been abusive, patronising, and insulting, in front of fiances customers and colleaugues. he then apologises after ward in his office; clearly he has issues so we're going the right way to sort those..

however, today things took a distinctly unnecessary turn

fiance has recently been investigated at doctors and hospital for a genetic heart defect that runs in his family.

he had an appointment last weds at hospital and showed letter at work, took half day to attend.

he then had a letter on saturday to say he must attend this weds (tomorrow) as a matter of urgency.

he text his manager as soon as he got the letter to advise him of this and tell him he will bring the letter to work today.

he didnt get a response.Manager today told him he could not go to this appointment and made fiance ring hospital in front of him. he did, and they are not happy to rearrange as he must see cardiologist urgently.

Fiance has printed off details of suspected syndrome which is in fact life threatening if not treated, manager could not care less.

manager refused point blank for him to attend appointment as said it will leave him understaffed for the afternoon. he then proceeded to tell other member of staff that they neednt swap their morning in branch for an afternoon (which would have covered) he also refused to let fiance call nearby branch to arrange cover for the afternoon.

what are the legal implications of this.. can he actually refuse a hospital appointment with a letter of proof for fiance?

what happens if fiance simply leaves work in the afternoon without permission to do so from manager?

fiance is well ot of probation period, has had no issues or sick time off of work. doctor is willing to sign him off for stress but he said no he would rather work.

the appointment is tomorrow so would appreciate any help tonight?

If i have helped you please click the scales :)

I am here on my own quest for help, although i work for T-Mobile and will gladly assist where i can i am not here as a company representative.

I am not legally qualified, if in doubt seek professional assistance :)

Hi Paula.

HR is not my field, but I have PMd another mod who is a HR wizard to have a look.

Sit tight.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

what a dilemma for him my Personal advice is that he attends what ever the consequences are, If you feel the manager might persuade him not to go, then can I suggest you make him take the whole day off.

I've also Pm a member with some HR experience.

Regards

Andy

thanks rooster

we called fiances like Work 24 hour advice line and they were pretty shocked at his behaviour to be honest.

the area manager is in branch tomorrow morning so he is going to ask for a private chat with him regarding everything then but it is worrying him enough to have the appointment let alone all this.

I am here on my own quest for help, although i work for T-Mobile and will gladly assist where i can i am not here as a company representative.

At the end of the day, if it comes down to straight choices, then his health is the most important one. Hopefully, you won't have to make that choice.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

we would just LOVE to stick something in front of his jumped up little behind that told him what for.

he is about 23, far too young to be a manager imo.

I am pants at employment law but all I can say that this is yours and your fiance's future and that is worth more money than anything. I am sure that someone will correct me that if he does get dismissed for going to a vital hospital appointment then it would be a case for constructive dismissal.

At the end of the day your relationshipand your fiance's health is vital, I know the ones in the know will be here soon.

Lots of thoughts to you and I will keep an eye on this thread

Sfx

Unbelievable.

You don't have a legal to paid holiday to see a doctor. I don't think they can stop you from going but they can insist that you take annual leave or unpaid leave.

In this circumstance the manager is being totally unreasonable - your fiance should keep the appointment. If the manager wanted to make an issue of that he would have to start disciplinary action and there is no way to make that stick.

If he wants to cover himself he should call the HR department and get their advice.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your fiance is having this trouble at work. His manager is, of course, being totally unreasonable. The fact that this manager made him telephone the hospital in front of him is quite frankly bullying and should not be tolerated.

Your fiance has appointment at the hospital which both his doctor and the hospital deem urgent, his attending this appointment should not be a matter for discussion - he simply has to go. The fact that it inconveniences his manager regarding understaffing is irrelevant. Employers are required to act reasonably when dealing with sickness absence.

As he already has a complaint lodged with HR he should contact HR first thing in the morning and advise them of the situation, show them the letter and tell them he will be attending. He should also inform them that he will be making a written addition to his formal complaint and will be addressing it to the CEO/Managing Director/Whoever is his manager's superior. He must then request that HR deal with his manager as he will no longer tolerate the treatment he has received.

Although there is no legal requirement for employers to give employees paid time off to attend appointments it is usually good practice to do so.

I do hope your fiance gets encouraging results from his hospital visit. Please also keep us updated regarding the work situation.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

• Haha 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks, Ell-Enn.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

thankyou

i think this is quite horrendous, not only because of the circumstances but because fiance has worked numerous extra hours here and there and not once been paid overtime by this WELL KNOWN high street financial organisation.

He is also yet to recieve a bonus as promised in contract after one year there. he should be getting this each quarter.

fiance is getting just as fired up about this now.. good to see he's getting some of my spirit so to speak :grin:

isnt it hillarious that my place of work said no problem as soon as i asked to leave early to go with him... :rolleyes:

isnt it hillarious that my place of work said no problem as soon as i asked to leave early to go with him...
Just goes to show the differences between employers.

When I had my heart attack, I was off work for three months, with pay.

I'm glad you're both getting fired up, but don't let fiance get too stressed out by it.... remember his heart! ;)

Good luck, Rooster.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

It was in my opinion that an employer had a duty of care of it's employees... Isn't the health and welbeing of an employee part of the employers duty of care?

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

god forbid but imagine if he were to have a heart attack at work... because of missing said appointment.

imagine the newspapers! imagine the lawsuit!

PrettyPaula,

Sadly, some employers couldn't give a flying ....* and it would take something like that for other employers to change.

* Replace with your favorite four letter word.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

i will try to keep a long story short!

fiance spoke to territory manager in private today regarding ALL issues over last few months, he was outraged... he went to his appointment with no problems and tolod he would be paid.

Manager has since been creeping shall we say!

if you wanna know fiance is FINE thread about that debacle in NHS forum which i would welcome peoples input on!

thanks for everyones concern and help :)