• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFO Services/Roxburghe/Graham White Solicitors Default on Credit file.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I was contacted by a comapny called Roxburgh Debt Collection back in 2005 about a debt for C.A.R Motorists Supercentre in Slough. This was back in 1999 that the debt was ran up.

At that time I owed £3181.20 and I made agreements to pay the debt back. I have been paying token amounts since then and it has only really been since I have been trying to consolodate my debts with a bank loan that there seems to be a problem. When I was refused the loan from the bank on Monday I got a copy of my credit file and found this default from HFO Services from December 2002.

I am paying the debt back every month by direct debit and it is only a token amount but it is regular payments. I contacted HFO and asked why this debt was still showing as a default when I have been paying, they advised that it is company policy to not mark my credit file accordingly.

I gave all of this info to my bank yesterday tou have the decision overturned but it came back a no but if I were to clear the HFO debt this would all be sorted.

I telephoned HFO today to find out my balance and was horrified when they advised that the balance was just under £4000!!!! The debt this time last year was £2700. They have been adding interest to the account but I have not been informed of this at all. I offered HFO £600.00 to settle the debt which was refused. This is all I have.

The date of birth they have registered for me is over 1 year out, the day, month and year are all wrong, but quite alot too.

I have recently gone for a new job in Debt Recovery which was offered to me but due to this default the offer has been revoked.

I cannot move to a cheaper property due to the credit scoring and this default.

So all in all I have had a pretty shocking day.

I just dont know what to do about this I am at a dead end and I feel like it will never end.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

Are you sure that the DCA have any right to collect this money, you could ask for evidence in the form of a true copy of your credit agreement,

The request for this information is at this link you will need letter N http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html#post162367

Members of the forum advise that you do not sign the letter, just print your name there is a small fee £1.00, if you can get a family member to write you a cheque or send a postal order. The reason for not signing is deviant DCA's could scan, cut, and paste your signature on to any document they like.

Once you receive this you will be able to decide what action to take, you will always get advice on the forum

Regards

Andy

I have recently gone for a new job in Debt Recovery which was offered to me but due to this default the offer has been revoked.

Why on earth would you still want this 'job' after being on the receiving end of their tactics?

Hi, faye93x.

I agree with Andy, Send the CCA request, once received, the DCA have 12 working days within which to comply with your request, or they will be in default and legally unable to pursue you for payment without going to court.

Have a look at this letter, send it to the DCA if they fail to comply with your request.

It might put your mind at rest............

**Edit to suit**

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On the **DATE** I wrote to you requesting a copy of the credit agreement and other information under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79).

On **DATE** a member of your staff signed for delivery of my written request and I have an electronic proof of delivery showing their signature and the date.

To date you have failed to comply with these requests in any way, whether by confirmation of receipt of the request or by supplying the requested documents.

These documents I requested should be readily available as proof of your legal right to collect this account under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

In my letter of the **DATE** I made a formal request for a copy of the signed, executed credit agreement for the above account under section 77(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation.

If that request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days your client commits a summary criminal offence.

These limits have expired.

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

And

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect.

This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data.

It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY

Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

Remember, print your name, don't sign.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your advice. I posted the CCA request and HFO received this and signed for it on 7 May and I enclosed a £1 postal order in there too so if I am correct they have until 22nd May to provide my CCA.

I still have a direct debit set up for them to take money monthly, what should I do about this? Should I cancel this or leave it running for the time being?

Thanks

Fay

Edited by faye93x

Hi, Fay.

Think you've got your date right, If it was me, I would stop the payments.

Why give them any more money when they have not yet proven they have the legal right to collect the debt.

Regards.

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Well it has been 12+2 days now and no sign of the CCA. I have stopped the Direct Debit with the bank.

Do I need to do anything else?

What shall I say if the telephone me?

Thanks again for everyones help.

Well it has been 12+2 days now and no sign of the CCA.

Wait another 30 Calendar days.

What shall I say if the telephone me?

Please, don't speak to them on the phone

Get everything in writing and keep all correspondance.

Regards.

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I stopped the DD and got a call from HFO today (Only taken them 11 days to contact me and still no CCA) I adv that I will not talk to them on the phone and that they must correspond with me in writing only. I was asked why this was and I advised that I will not enter into a conversation with them. They lady advised that the account will be passed to a senior manager now. I adv that fine but I will only correspond in writing from now on. The 30 days is up on the 21 June.

Hi guys.

Well the 30 days is almost up now and still nothing from HFO. I will send the final letter to them on Saturday by recorded delivery and hopefully it will be the end of it.

Any further advise would be appreciated.

Hi,

What credit agreement has been deleted from your credit file ?

Regards.

Scott.

Hi, that's sound, looks like the letter you sent, worked :)

Regards.

Scott.

Edited by maroondevo52

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

I have just had a very threatening call from HFO today. They have advised me that the debt has now increased to £6000 as the interest has been added. They have adv that they requested the CCA on 24 June 2008 (When they got my second letter) and that as I have made payments I have admitted the debt. The have told me that they will take it to court and that they will win as I have made payments and only just raised the question over my DOB and the CCA.

I repeated that I will only correspond in writing with them and they advised me that they will not do this and that they will keep calling me.

I am really scared now as yes I have made payments to them but it only came to light about the incorrect DOB in April this year. I cannot afford to pay £6000 to them.

I am seriously thinking about going bankrupt but if I do this I will lose my job.

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

Hi there.

I have just had a very threatening call from HFO today. They have advised me that the debt has now increased to £6000 as the interest has been added. They have adv that they requested the CCA on 24 June 2008 (When they got my second letter) and that as I have made payments I have admitted the debt. The have told me that they will take it to court and that they will win as I have made payments and only just raised the question over my DOB and the CCA.

I repeated that I will only correspond in writing with them and they advised me that they will not do this and that they will keep calling me.

I am really scared now as yes I have made payments to them but it only came to light about the incorrect DOB in April this year. I cannot afford to pay £6000 to them.

I am seriously thinking about going bankrupt but if I do this I will lose my job.

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

You should start a new thread for this - perhaps a moderator can oblige.

In the meantime it appears they have told you a few porkies. Nothing unusual at all. This appears to be typical HFO bullying tactics.

If they haven't supplied a true copy of your credit agreement they are now approaching the point where they are in default which means you are in the driving seat. Hence their increasingly desperate letters trying to make you commit to something before you realise you don't have to. At this point you're entitled to feel a little smug.

The cannot refuse to correspond in writing only. There are various letters on formally requesting them to cease calling you (look in the templates library). Essentially it is harassment because a telephone call allows them to shout at you, insult you, talk you down and generally intimidate you.

Making payments is not an admission of liability.

What to do now?

1. Never talk to them on the phone. If you inadvertantly answer the phone and find them on the other end then simply hang up. Don't worry about appearing rude or discourteous - they don't.

2. Just wait for your credit agreement to arrive. If it doesn't and you want to make an issue of it you can complain to various bodies such as your nearest Trading Standards office (TS), the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) or the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

3. Relax - there are plenty of people here to help you.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

HI there.

Thanks for that. This is just a continuation of my previous thread.

They have had the post 30 day letter and they are in default. They have not written to me at all and I will get in touch with the TS, OFT, FOS and Law Society about them again over the weekend I will draft a letter to them.

Hi, Faye.

Don't let them get to you, without a CCA there is very little they can do.

It does not matter a jot if you've been paying them or not, the 'alleged' debt is unenforceable.

Regards.

Scott.

• 3 months later...

Help me.

I have been emailed today by Equifax and I have paid for a new credit report only to find out that HFO have reapplied the default on my credit file after this was removed. they have also registered a search against me on 21 August which is when I was advised that the debt would be written off. What shall I do