Mums NatWest debt sold to DCA but they are all charges. Now court action threatened

chellby21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any advice gratefully received, NatWest sold my pensioner mothers' debt to a DCA. It was originally for £1000 back in 2002, now the balance is £400 but the charges alone on the account amounted to £600 - so the debt they are chasing are their own charges.

The DCA is now threatening court proceedings starting Monday. Is there anything we can do? She is a pensioner and can't afford to pay and it does not seem fair. I'm pretty sure she has defaults in her name as a result now. Is there any way we can hold they payments while contesting the charges? Or through an informal arrangement?

Thanks for any response

Concerned daughter

chellby21

was this for a current account with the bank ? and how was the balance being paid off ?

Regards

vselym

"Every day, and in every way, i'm getting better and better" - Chief Inspector Dreyfus

Hey, thanks for the reply. It was a standard current account overdraft, and it was being repaid under an arrangement with the bank up to a couple of months ago. I believe there were long periods in the intervening years where no payments were made.

You will need to send a SAR to the bank for all the statements and start about reclaiming the excessive charges and don't forget to add 8% compounded interest too... you can find a good calculator here...

Bank Charges: Reclaim them, they’re unlawful, includes free template letters ...

It may even turn out that your mum is owed more than she owes them !!!

Write a letter to the DCA, that the account is in dispute and that the bank owes you more than you owe them !!!

chellby21

you sound quite precise with the figures, is that because you have all the bank statements ???? if so that will speed the process up, otherwise follow 42man's sound advice

Regards

vselym

"Every day, and in every way, i'm getting better and better" - Chief Inspector Dreyfus

Thanks both of you. It’s a calculation my mum made, so will get the official statements from the bank. The charges started in August 2002 so we are just in time to demand 6 years back. Phew. Let's hope the case for charges goes in the consumers favour.

And thanks re advice to DCA, I was advised to make an informal arrangement but it seems better to get all activity frozen while in dispute?

Thanks again, I feel better prepared to help my mum properly now.

chellby21

where the dca is concerned, dont EVER speak to them on the phone ! They may well turn up the threatomatic machine, but if youre at all worried, post up your query here and help wont be far away !

best of luck

Regards

vselym