Multiple Agreements CCA 1974

ncf355
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

see this as bit of a "sub thread" to the HUGE CCA thread

So, your thoughts on the following:

Should a credit card be classed for the sake of the CCA 1974 as a "mutiple agreement" and therefore require seperate documentation for the purchase, balance transfer and cash withdrawal elements?

That is to say, each and every part should have a seperate signature document each with its own prescribed terms?

The point of this is that if the lot is grouped together, it doesnt take into account the different requirements between the types of documents

This is detailed within S18(2):

"Where a part of an agreement falls within subsection (1), that part shall be treated for the pruposes of this act as if it were a seperate agreement"

S18(1):

"This section applies to an agreement (a "multiple agreement") if its terms are such as:

(a) to place it within one category of an agreement mentioned in this act, and another part of it within a different category of agreement so mentioned, or within a category not so mentioned, or

(b) to place it, or part of it, within two or more categories of agreement so mentioned"

Now, my thinking is :

Credit card purchases:

(14) Credit token agreements

Cash withdrawals:

(12) Debtor-Creditor-Supplier agreement

Balance Transfer:

Thus, agreement falls into:

"(a) to place it within one category of an agreement mentioned in this act, and another part of it within a different category of agreement so mentioned, or within a category not so mentioned, or"

This (to my interpretation) appears to be backed up by Goode in his "Consumer credit law and practice" loose leeaf publication -

"Unitary agreement

On the other hand, an agreement providing a single facility covering both restricted use debtor creditor supplier credit and unrestricted debtor creditor supplier credit - e.g a credit card which can be used to pay for goods and services or to draw cash where the interest and repayment provision do not differentiate between one use and another - would seem to epitomise the unitary agreement"

If we take that and the bold text into the argument that most credit cards have higher interest for cash than purchases and further, different rates for balance transfers it would seem to back the argument?

Thoughts please?

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Cant resist *BUMP* on this one, I think this worthy of at least some debate?

(helooooooooooo is anybody there?)

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Thanks Brassed

MOD's - what he said ^

Please!

Thanks

(and sincere apologies to brassed for the gender mistake!!)

:o

Cheers PT

Interested to hear your input on this one m8

Nuts - just seen your sig

Sorry to hear you arent well PT, all the very best for a speedy recovery

cheers matey,

yeah ive been zapped by a nasty illness and its lead to me having to slow down a little on the CAG especailly since i still have a law course on the go which i need to pass but thats life i guess

Think you have more than earnt the break m8

• 1 year later...
Hi folks,

see this as bit of a "sub thread" to the HUGE CCA thread

So, your thoughts on the following:

Should a credit card be classed for the sake of the CCA 1974 as a "mutiple agreement" and therefore require seperate documentation for the purchase, balance transfer and cash withdrawal elements?

That is to say, each and every part should have a seperate signature document each with its own prescribed terms?

The point of this is that if the lot is grouped together, it doesnt take into account the different requirements between the types of documents

This is detailed within S18(2):

"Where a part of an agreement falls within subsection (1), that part shall be treated for the pruposes of this act as if it were a seperate agreement"

S18(1):

"This section applies to an agreement (a "multiple agreement") if its terms are such as:

(a) to place it within one category of an agreement mentioned in this act, and another part of it within a different category of agreement so mentioned, or within a category not so mentioned, or

(b) to place it, or part of it, within two or more categories of agreement so mentioned"

Now, my thinking is :

Credit card purchases:

(14) Credit token agreements

Cash withdrawals:

Balance Transfer:

Thus, agreement falls into:

"(a) to place it within one category of an agreement mentioned in this act, and another part of it within a different category of agreement so mentioned, or within a category not so mentioned, or"

This (to my interpretation) appears to be backed up by Goode in his "Consumer credit law and practice" loose leeaf publication -

"Unitary agreement

On the other hand, an agreement providing a single facility covering both restricted use debtor creditor supplier credit and unrestricted debtor creditor supplier credit - e.g a credit card which can be used to pay for goods and services or to draw cash where the interest and repayment provision do not differentiate between one use and another - would seem to epitomise the unitary agreement"

If we take that and the bold text into the argument that most credit cards have higher interest for cash than purchases and further, different rates for balance transfers it would seem to back the argument?

Thoughts please?

Problem we all face with S 18 is that the Judges are in disarray, eg, in Meadows court of appeal stated. "We were shown passages from Goode on Consumer Credit and an article by Mr Francis Bennion on the application of section 18 from which it is apparent that the matter is far from clear and open to some controversy. It is unnecessary for the purposes of dealing with this appeal to enter into that debate, which would only arise if Mr Palmer were right on the question of the insurance premium being part of the credit rather than the total charge for credit. In those circumstances we say nothing more about section 18".

Well, that's alright then !

John Story

first defendant Natwest V Story & Pallister - leading test on S 18.

see www.ruinedbynatwest.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I am quite interested in the multiple agreements...... I have a secured loan with GE Money and have noted on my copy of the agreement the PPI and the loan is added together ie;

Amount of Credit to be released to customer £24,500.00

Amount of Credit for Protected Payment Plan £3,941.25

Total amount of Credit £28441.25

Duration of Agreement 180 months

The interest rate, monthly repayment amount etc is all on as well but am I right in believing the PPI should have been done seperately?

Your advice would be most grateful

Thanx Krackerjaxx

Hi Krackerjax !

I'm not an expert in the minutiae of the secondary legislation - ie the detailed form of the agreement. It's best to have this checked out by the CAB or similar - because, it's important to remember that the CCA was (and supposedly, still is) intended to be a 'catch-all' to protect the weaker party against the trader who obscures the "truth in lending" as it was termed (ie motive doesn't feature - it's the "red light" syndrome -"if the light's red, you're nicked !" ). IE - Were you misled or misinformed as to the true cost of the agreement (all of its components), etc, in any way ?

Any doubts at all - Go see the CAB or trading standards dept.

Best Wishes

John Story

See

www.ruinedbynatwest.com for what can happen with dodgy traders !!!

Edited by ruinedbynatwest
typos