• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Think about it - if lots of penalty charge paying people up and move from bank A to another bank then bank A will have to introduce fee paying for its remaining customers (or that is what they will have us believe). These customers will see that other banks do not charge those fees and will move also.

Bank A then decide "we have to do something about this" and introduce fairer charges and we all move back and the other banks will follow

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a lot of people who could have changed banks wold have done so already?

Why would you stay with a bank charging extortionate charges if there was an alternative?

the 8 are still representative of most of the other banks.

and all those not hit by charges will not move, in other words they wil keep the customers they want and find a sneaky way of charging them instead:(

With all due respect, I think you may have missed the point of the idea of moving.

The 8 banks (7 and 1 BS) LOST the case that was to determine if the OFT had juristiction over their charges. Rather than take that on the chin and do the decent thing, they have decided to appeal - this process will now drag on for another 1, 2, 3, 4, ? years - all that time banks will be allowed to make the poorest of society poorer by way of charging them what we believe to be unlawful charges.

The second thing that happens during the appeal is that they will also be given an extention to the 'waiver', meaning that they don't even have to deal with bank charge 'complaints'.

The third thing that happens is that the ordinary person no longer has the right to use the judiciary to attempt to put things right, as most county courts will 'stay' any bank charge case while waiting for the outcome of the appeal.

I am suggesting that we punish those greedy 8, who know exactly what they are doing and exactly who it hurts the most, by moving any account that we have with them to a bank that DIDN'T appeal or indeed wasn't involved in the first place.

The Co-op appear to charge less than the others, and yes, whilst I agree that for the most part all banks are as greedy and unscrupulous as the next, the Co-op will at least punish you less than the others.

It will send the message that the other's charges are too high, and in turn, if enough of us move there, the others may be forced (by market forces) to lower their charges too.

It's still not good enough, but at least it's sending the message that we will not put up with their utter contempt for their customers.

I can just imagine the conversations after the OFT case:

Warwick: "Bugger, we lost that one"

Tarquin: "Oh well, no problem, we'll just appeal"

Warwick: "Brilliant, then we can string it out for a few more years and pull in an extra 7-10 Billion quid."

Tarquin: "Exactly. See you in the club later?"

Warwick: "Bugger the club, I'll meet you on my new yacht."

Edited by dave

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Did we ever expect the Banks not to appeal? Did we expect the OFT to not appeal if it hadn't gone their way? This was always on the cards, so I'm not sure why we are so surprised.

We could be jumping the gun about the waiver/stay continuing - it can't be in the interests of the masses for that situation to be drawn out unnecessarily. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens.

LJ "whateverhisfaceis" has said he will issue some guidance on how the courts should deal with stayed cases. It's unlikely that the stay will be removed, but his advice will probably fall on deaf ears anyway. In the words of the Judge that stayed my case "this decision is taken higher than [insert LJ "whateverhisfaceis" name here] and me, so the case will be stayed regardless". That's something we've tried to attack already - stay removal process, complaints to MP's, the OFT - but yet the stay remains.

Personally, I can't see the point in moving banks. The Co-op has a limited number of branches, so can afford to not charge so much in unfair charges.

Anyway, even if they make 7-10 billion during the appeal, that will still be recoverable once it's all finalised. Their intention, it seems then, is to "click" the interest on these billions over these years - it's just a shame that the bloody courts won't injunct the charges while the case is still underway.

Incidentally, where is the Government on all this? I wonder how many of us will vote for the party that promises to intervene in this whole process - how soon will they start jumping on that particular bandwagon, I wonder?

Edited by car2403

I have not missed the point - I just dont think

1) it will have that much of an impact- there is advice on lots of sites already about which are the most cost efective banks to use

2) We dont know 100% what will happen about the waiver until the next CC in July

3) you wanted the legality of the charges tested and that is what is happening this site and others should be proud of that . I know this is only the start of a long process but that is how the legal system works and the banks are enttled to appeal that is their right.If it was an individual in that position you would be championing for their cause.

4) The argument is a long and complex one - if it was not it would have been settled in a court case long before now.

5) Even if the waiver stays in place hardship cases are supposed to be deat with by the banks or the FOS - Therefore as they are not being dealt with why not start by trying to get the terms of the waiver tightened up.

6) the ruling on the historic terms has not yet been decided and the Judge seemed very critcal of both the OFT for not having completed their report on fairness and also he seemed concerned with the customers who are waiting for a outcome.

So to summarise I am not missing the point I just dont think it wll be effective I think there are other areas that should be concentrated on

1) Clarifying the whole point of how the banks can take peoples benefits in charges - in travel girls case the judge was very crtiical of this but said it should be tested in another separate case

2) aim to tighten up the terms of the waiver if it is extended

3) Get bad pubicity for the banks who do not help those in genuine financial difficulties

4) help those in genuine distress when the banks B/S are about to evict them when they are only 2-3 months in arrears - and publisise those cases.

5) I agree keep lobbying MPs - they are really worried about our votes right now

6) i view of the comments so far by the judge - double and triple check the POC and get people to chage them if necesary and yes keep lodging the claims or complaints maybe through the FOS not the courts.

IMO

and one genuine question Dave - you say CAG may not back you but dont you think people look upon you as CAG - you are an administrator? So what you suggest will be taken as a lead by others on the site?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Why those who wish to hit the banks where it hurts by moving their account not opening a current account with their Credit Union. I can understand if the local one's don't offer them yet but many do.

Is it a snob thing or what?? is the thinking that CU's are only for the completely dispossessed??

They aren't & Crikey you even get a photo ID

up to now I suspect it is just because of the DD availability

If they do offer that or a custmer does not want this facility then yes I think the CU should be promoted and explained on this site . to help avoid loan sharks if nothing else.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I was of the understanding that any claims would be subject to interest at the statutory rate of 8%.

If all claims are made and stayed, that sounds like a good investment to me, although it doesn't help those in immediate difficulty. It still represents the banks putting off the inevitable (false economy).

With respect to moving banks on mass, how about an email campaign naming the big 8, with a message to "Forward this to at least 10 people or any body parts not used in the next 24 hours will drop off"

The whole point of me raising this is because many DO now offer current accounts, loans, cash cards, AND the facility to pay bills via DD

how about a new Thread - questions and answers

CREDIT UNIONS - are they for me?

sounds good to me :)

I saw a piece on a news programme the other night about them - so it would be good to raise the profile even more.

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Okay, if the banks drag things on, even whilst knowing that there is a good likelihood that once this business is all sorted they will just simply have to pay back all the charges taken......

...... then on the face of it, to a lot of claimants this may not seem to make much sense?

But actually, as far as the banks are concerned, when they do have to give back what they took, they will still have profited from the benefit of the money (investing it, lending it out etc) in the intervening period.

My suggestion is that everyone now revise their claims to include interest at commercial compounded rates as a matter of course.

After all the in-depth discussion on CAG and elsewhere about this subject, I do now personally think that there is a way to do this, and that there is enough basis in law. (I shall not post it here, firstly because if someone is serious about doing it, then they must search it out and understand it, and secondly, because I don't want to take this thread off topic).

All I shall say is that I know of several business claimants who did indeed get pre-trial settlements paying out interest at such rates (and received some very sizeable sums, with the interest portion often being several times the size of the actual charges received back).

This confirms my belief that not only are such rates chargeable, but that also the banks themselves believe that this could very well eventually turn out to be the case.

By claiming using the argument that the money was conceded whilst acting under a mistaken presumption such money was due to the bank, we can also claim that this created an unjust enrichment on behalf of the banks (and it most certainly has) !

So If more and more claims are seen to be calling for a total restitution of all the benefit gained from the money, then the Banks may see less benefit in dragging things on ?

Just an idea ?

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

I was of the understanding that any claims would be subject to interest at the statutory rate of 8%.

If all claims are made and stayed, that sounds like a good investment to me, although it doesn't help those in immediate difficulty. It still represents the banks putting off the inevitable (false economy).

With respect to moving banks on mass, how about an email campaign naming the big 8, with a message to "Forward this to at least 10 people or any body parts not used in the next 24 hours will drop off"

I think - and I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect the S69 8% technically can only be awarded by the court and is discretionary not automatic. So in theory if the banks refunded outside the court system then they would not be obliged to pay this amount.

On the other hand they of course are earning interest on the charges they manage to extract between now and the final hearing decision:(

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I think - and I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect the S69 8% technically can only be awarded by the court and is discretionary not automatic. So in theory if the banks refunded outside the court system then they would not be obliged to pay this amount.
While this is in theory correct, once you have issued your court claim, you 8% becomes a part of your claim, and you are therefore totally entitled not to withdraw your claim unless both the charges and the 8% get paid back (and fees of course).

Regarding the waiver

In the waiver, each firm agreed 'it will not make materially adverse changes in the level of its unauthorised overdraft charges (or in ways that it applies such charges to its customers' accounts) which could amount to customer abuse'

Many banks have changed their terms and conditions and terms such as fees are now being used instead of charges since the waiver was put in place isnt this a breach of the waiver?

Also another condition of that waiver was that they would keep customers informed of the test case, has anyone had any update from banks concerning this?

I wrote to the FSA and asked the following

How can I register my concerns that the FSA waiver has been breached by my bank as they have changed my terms and conditions amongst other things which have affected me. For the waiver to remain in place conditions were clear and concise for those firms that for the waiver to remain in place they have to abide by these conditions. This is a breach of those conditions in my opinion and should be investigated.

Their answer

A. In the course of our review the FSA found that a number of firms had changed their terms and conditions in relation to unauthorised overdraft charges. In the waiver, each firm agreed 'it will not make materially adverse changes in the level of its unauthorised overdraft charges (or in ways that t applies such charges to its customers' accounts) which could amount to customer abuse'. The FSA will be closely monitoring how any changes made by a firm will affect customers in practice and whether this amounts to a breach of the waiver. In view of this, we welcome information from consumers which would highlight wider concerns of a firm's use of the FSA waiver. If you would like to provide us with further detailed information, I can assure you that concerns will be carefully considered in light of our regulatory responsibilities.

• Haha 1

Well Bigmac your response to the FSA will be more than obvious I assume.

They have abused the customer as not only have they altered their terms they have actually increased their charges overall & not by an inconsiderable amount I might add

Yes a further call was made and I got the impression that it would help if there were a few complaints made regarding this.

What we need is a breakdown of each banks changes if any to their terms and conditions then for people who have been affected by this to either make a complaint or become part of a consumer complaint.

Yes a further call was made and I got the impression that it would help if there were a few complaints made regarding this.

What we need is a breakdown of each banks changes if any to their terms and conditions then for people who have been affected by this to either make a complaint or become part of a consumer complaint.

Bigmac, tread very carefully with the FSA, they're a wolf in sheeps clothing. If anything, the FSA should be reported where they fail to act as the regulator they have always claimed they were, or they ever fail the consumer.

They are, after all, funded by the banks (£277m this year)! Me suspects the Old School Club here.

ah back in 2006 - no posts since

yes good idea to bring it to peoples attention again;)

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Very interesting post BigMac

A&L have changed their terms on charges a lot - still can not work out if they are better or worse!

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Guys,

I have searched but I can not find the grounds on which the banks have been granted leave to appeal. As we all know a party can not appeal a court judgement because they simply don't like it, they have to have grounds for an appeal. Does anyone know what grounds the banks submitted an appeal for? Procedural irregularity? New evidence? Judge error?

TheyrCriminals

I did try to post on this one Bookworm, a message box came up to say I wasnt allowed to:confused:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I did try to post on this one Bookworm, a message box came up to say I wasnt allowed to:confused:

i got the same reply.

just found my local credit union in portsmouth, they have a current account. so as soon as my house is sold. abbey get a sniff of the money and then watch it walk right out the door. im so going to enjoy that day.

abbey have only ever given me one charge and they paid it back, when i rang them, they told me its because they do Bacs transfers between 12midnight and 7am and at the weekend to.

so whilst we cant pay money in till 9:30am we have gained a charge for being 2 and a half hours late on getting money in to pay a bill that is due on the same day. surely this has got to be unfair. take the payment at the end of the banking day on the day it is due, not the same day. and before banking hours.

this is how a lot of my charges came about. being self-employed and not having funds till the day a bill is due. this is one of the practices of the banks that really needs to be looked at. if we want to go and pay a bill say at the council offices, we have the best part of the whole day to do it depending what time they close. why don't we get this with banks. they want us in an unfair advantage before the banking day starts.