• Tweets

• How much of the documentation have you seen from when probate was obtained? And do you have a copy of the original will? I can't remember. My thought about you making the decision on your own to go with another lawyer is that three of you are meant to be beneficiaries of this will trust, aren't you? Normally you would need to act together. HB
    • Octopus allows you to pay by variable Direct Debit, so you pay only for what you use but still benefit from DD pricing. That's what I've done ever we were SOLRed over to them in July 2022.
    • Hi guys, I am about to file my defence via email as cannot log in to the claim anymore.  Can you please advise if I can paste below and if it's good to go for now, or should I add anything else in?  Thanks!  The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  1.  The Defendant is the recorded keeper of vehicle xxxx xxx.  2.  It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant - Parking Eye LTD.  3.  As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance.  The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner.  Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim.   4.  In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant.  5.  The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer.   6.  The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety.  It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.
    • Getting onto the ladder: The first-time buyer conundrumView the full article
    • Ooops - one to many also s..... my draft reply should read as:  Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands, and if P2G wish to avoid the addition of court costs and interest to my claim, you may wish to respond positively before that date.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oppressed and abused minority....who's for joining the Tooting Popular Peoples Front?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly, received a letter from NatWest stating that my complaint with regards to charges is not being upheld etc.

They do say, however, that if my complaint is not in relation to the level of charges but to the fairness or lawfulness of them, to let them know by way of setting out details so that they may consider my complaint further.

xx

That's interesting, any chance of scanning and posting the letter after removing your personal info?

Just re-read the bit I stated and I have made a slight error :( sorry.

It actually says " If your complaint does not relate to the level and, accordingly, the fairness or lawfulness of these charges then please let us know by contacting us setting out the details so we can consider this further."

So sorry about that, that will teach me not to shove my glasses on.

xx

I've just had this letter from A&L

We refer to your complaint relating to bank charges which was previously put on hold under the terms of

the Financial Services Authority's Waiver. The Waiver has now lapsed and we are therefore writing to

you to respond to your complaint. We consider your complaint to have been about the level and

accordingly the fairness or lawfulness of these charges.

As you will be aware from when we last wrote to you, several banks entered into agreed legal

proceedings with the Office of Fair Trading in relation to bank charges on 27th July 2007. Alliance &

Leicester were not one of these banks, however we felt this was an issue where our customers and the

financial services as a whole would welcome legal clarity.

The outcome of these legal proceedings means that the bank charges you have complained about do

not amount to penalties at common law and that the level of them cannot be assessed for fairness under

the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (UTCCRs). We do not believe that there is

any legal basis on which the amount of the charges can be challenged.

We are satisfied that the bank charges you seek to reclaim were properly charged and the outcome of

the legal proceedings confirms our position. We are therefore not upholding your complaint and we will

not be refunding the bank charges you have complained about.

We hope we have resolved the issue you raised with us. However, if your complaint relates to

something other than the level of charges, please contact our Complaints team. You can either write to:

Complaints, Bank Charges, PO Box 6300, Carlton Park, Narborough, LE19 OALorcall us on 0844 561

If you ultimately remain dissatisfied with our final response, you have the right to refer your complaint to

the Financial Ombudsman Service. Before you decide whether or not to take your complaint to the

Ombudsman service, you may find it helpful to consider the information about this subject on the

service's website at FAQs complaints about bank charges.

If we do not hear from you within 8 weeks we will consider your complaint closed.

not quite true there is it A & L

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

YB

We do not believe that there is

any legal basis on which the amount of the charges can be challenged.

How about that bit?

We are satisfied that the bank charges you seek to reclaim were properly charged and the outcome of

the legal proceedings confirms our position

does it really?

As I understand things (and I'm the first to admit there are an increasing number of areas I'm finding difficult) other avenues of attack quite probably exist and are being clarified.

Think its what they'd like us to believe.

Whilst the OFT can no longer be given any consideration the individual can.

Seems perverse that they are seeking set aside, discontinuance etc etc based on the SC's findings when the individuals case has not been heard ;)

Which bit isnt true ?

The outcome of these legal proceedings means that the bank charges you have complained about do not amount to penalties at common law and that the level of them cannot be assessed for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (UTCCRs). We do not believe that there is any legal basis on which the amount of the charges can be challenged.

We are satisfied that the bank charges you seek to reclaim were properly charged and the outcome ofthe legal proceedings confirms our position.

That bit - It was only one section of the UTCCR not the whole of it and the judge himself hinted that another section of the UTCCR may possibly be used.

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Their beliefs and opinions do not have to be true, they are simply opinion.

The factual parts are right, they are correct that the level of the charges cannot be assessed for fairness. The charges can be assessed for fairness, just not in terms of the level of them (ie. not in terms of £35 is too much for bouncing a DD )

So yes it might be misleading in their favour but its not a lie.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi everyone:)

I received a letter including the following wording from Jatin Patel, LTSB Director of Current Accounts this morning (my claim is stayed at court until end of Feb) -

'I promised to keep you up to date about any developments that affected your complaint about unplanned overdraft charges. Your complaint has been on hold while we and some of the other major UK banks have been in legal proceedings with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) about the level, fairness or unlawfulness of these charges.

These legal proceedings came to a conclusion on the 25th November 2009 when the Supreme Court decided that, as long as they are clearly set out, the level of unplanned overdraft charges cannot be assessed for fairness under the consumer fairness legislation known as the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

What this means for your complaint

We understand your complaint is that the charges we made are penalties and/or are unfair because you believe they are too high. The outcome of the legal proceedings means that the bank charges you've complained about are not penalties and the Supreme Court has also decided that the consumer fairness legislation means that the level of the charge is not a reason for finding them to be unfair.

As a result of these rulings we will not be upholding your complaint or be providing a refund of the bank charges that you complained about.

We hope this answers the points you raised with us about your bank charges complaint and you feel there is no need to reply to this letter. If you come back to us and we cannot come to an agreement, I'll give you details of the Financial Ombudsman Service in case you want them to consider your complaint independently.

If there's anything other than the level of the charges that you're concerned about, or if there is anything else we can do to help, please contact us. If I haven't heard from you by the 9th March I will close your file.'

Last time I had a letter from a LTSB related company (C&G - regarding a mortgage charges complaint) which included the wording 'if you come back to us and we cannot come to an agreement', I wrote one more letter and my charges were refunded - this was in December 2009, btw. I can't see it happening in this particular instance, but who knows..........

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Kenny - they havent said cca - they have said the level cant be assessed under UTCCR - which is what we are talking about. they also said in their opinion there is nothing else you can test them under - thats just their opinion. they are hardly going to say, you cant test the level under UTCCR but why not try the CCA, misrep, undue influence etc etc are they ? I was just referring to the comment that A&L were lying.

Landy - I can't see it happening either.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

who has said A & L are lying? If you are refering to me i only said it wasnt quite the truth (ie not the whole truth)

;)

UNFAIR TERMS

5-(1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirements of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of them,

(3) Notwithstanding that a specific term or certain aspects of it in a contract has been individually negotiated,these Regulations shall apply to the rest of a contract if an overall assessment of it indicates that it is a pre-formulated standard contract.

(4) It shall be for any seller or supplier who claims that a term was individually negotiated to show that it was.

(5) Schedule 2 to these Regulations contains an indicative and non-exhaustive list of the terms which may be regarded as unfair.

ASSESSMENT OF UNFAIR TERMS.

6-(1) Without prejudice to Regulation 12, the unfairness of a contractual term shall be assessed, taking into account the nature of the goods or services for which the contract was concluded and by referring, at the time of the conclusion of the contract, to all the circumstances attending the conclusion of the contract and to all the other terms of the contract or of another contract on which it is dependent.

(2) In so far as it is in plain intelligible language, the assessment of fairness of a term shall not relate-

(a) to the definition of the main subject matter of the contract, or

(b) to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange.

It appears that the way is still open not to challenge the unfairness of the LEVEL of the charges BUT for the mere fact that it was NOT INDIVIDUALLY NEGOTIATED And THE BURDEN IS ON THEM TO PROVE THAT IT WAS INDIVIDUALLY NEGOTIATED...a much less tiresome route for us all

Also the last decision on levels of charges not being fair may on individual basis be open to appeal for NOT BEING EXPLAINED IN A PLAIN INTELLIGIBLE MANNER.That avenue would depend on consumers' personal agreements and on individual circumstances.

However most standard pre-formulated agreements are 'generic' in nature so that.to use an example from the request for a 'copy for original agreements' situation ,the courts have said that the banks can reconstitute a copy from 'other agreements that existed at the time' so long it was 'an honest and accurate copy'.

Well then the converse can be applied in our situation within the context of bank charges whereby if one consumer's pre-formulated standard contract was not individually negotiated then by virtue of it's 'generic' nature there must be thousands the same 'out there' that were not individually negotiated.THIS IS THE MASSIVE PROBLEM THE BANKS WOULD HAVE IN PAYOUTS.Its elementary my dear WATSON!!!

Rgds

M2ae

Edited by means2anend

So we try a variety of claims using a variety of alternative Acts/Regs and see which causes the banks most grief.

Somewhere there is surely something that will.

Edited by kennyh
spelling's crap

Also we may not be able to challenge the level (ie the cost of the charge) but you can challenge the charge itself as it causes a significant imbalance (we can charge you for your errors but you cant charge us for our errors)

I think

;)

What about those people whos credit rating is crap. to grant an overdraft would be irresponsible lending therefore what is the service provided is it " shall we be irresponsible or not"?

;)

UNFAIR TERMS

5-(1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirements of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of them,

(3) Notwithstanding that a specific term or certain aspects of it in a contract has been individually negotiated,these Regulations shall apply to the rest of a contract if an overall assessment of it indicates that it is a pre-formulated standard contract.

(4) It shall be for any seller or supplier who claims that a term was individually negotiated to show that it was.

(5) Schedule 2 to these Regulations contains an indicative and non-exhaustive list of the terms which may be regarded as unfair.

ASSESSMENT OF UNFAIR TERMS.

6-(1) Without prejudice to Regulation 12, the unfairness of a contractual term shall be assessed, taking into account the nature of the goods or services for which the contract was concluded and by referring, at the time of the conclusion of the contract, to all the circumstances attending the conclusion of the contract and to all the other terms of the contract or of another contract on which it is dependent.

(2) In so far as it is in plain intelligible language, the assessment of fairness of a term shall not relate-

(a) to the definition of the main subject matter of the contract, or

(b) to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange.

It appears that the way is still open not to challenge the unfairness of the LEVEL of the charges BUT for the mere fact that it was NOT INDIVIDUALLY NEGOTIATED And THE BURDEN IS ON THEM TO PROVE THAT IT WAS INDIVIDUALLY NEGOTIATED...a much less tiresome route for us all

Also the last decision on levels of charges not being fair may on individual basis be open to appeal for NOT BEING EXPLAINED IN A PLAIN INTELLIGIBLE MANNER.That avenue would depend on consumers' personal agreements and on individual circumstances.

However most standard pre-formulated agreements are 'generic' in nature so that.to use an example from the request for a 'copy for original agreements' situation ,the courts have said that the banks can reconstitute a copy from 'other agreements that existed at the time' so long it was 'an honest and accurate copy'.

Well then the converse can be applied in our situation within the context of bank charges whereby if one consumer's pre-formulated standard contract was not individually negotiated then by virtue of it's 'generic' nature there must be thousands the same 'out there' that were not individually negotiated.THIS IS THE MASSIVE PROBLEM THE BANKS WOULD HAVE IN PAYOUTS.Its elementary my dear WATSON!!!

Rgds

M2ae

Section 5(2) of the UTCCR's as stated above is very welcoming news to read and extremely important if the S5 argument is to succeed in court. I think we're on the way to determining that the contractual terms regarding charges was not individually negotiated which is critical to any successful claim based on this argument.

TheyrCriminals

Section 5(2) of the UTCCR's as stated above is very welcoming news to read and extremely important if the S5 argument is to succeed in court. I think we're on the way to determining that the contractual terms regarding charges was not individually negotiated which is critical to any successful claim based on this argument.

TheyrCriminals

Exactly...and if we have not had the opportunity of influencing the substance of a term through individual negotiation we then have not had the opportunity of arriving at a bilateral agreement or individually negotiating at setting the 'price or charge' for the goods or services provided as mentioned in s6(2)...

This is quite a separate issue from assessing whether the term itself is fair.

Most terms and conditions in the current account agreements have a pre-formulated amount of £35 fixed already for late payments, missed payments etc....or whatever the amount is ...even the £12 now classified as reasonable has been pre-set albeit due to pressure from OFT.

Lord Phillips described the price or charge for the goods and services provided by banks as an 'essential core term'.

Yet in reality this essential core term was never individually negotiated,in practice can never be individually negotiated nor can the consumer have the opportunity to influence the substance or 'agree' to a level that the charge should be set at.

It truly is another legal fiction.

The maxim 'CONSENSUS AD IDEM' springs to mind and is used in contract law to mean'A MEETING OF MINDS' so as to a truly arrived agreement.

How can this be accomplished with pre-formulated contracts.

I think that Lord Phillips was indicating that this was the way to go.It is a quite separate issue from assessing a term for its fairness and is more concerned with a bilateral agreement.

After all if the level was not £35 but £100 but individually negotiated by both parties...then who's complaining.

If this is truly the way Martin Lewis and Ray Cox QC et al intend to go......THE BANKS HAD BETTER BEWARE!!!

And Remember The Burden Is On Them To Prove That It Was Individually Negotiated...

How on earth are they going to discharge that burden...it's almost impossible..LOL

Get the gist!!!

Rgds

M2ae

Edited by means2anend

Playing Devil's advocate here, pls feel free to shoot this down, but when you apply for an o/d, c/c, loan etc... the bank does a credit search and depending on how you score, you will be offered a different rate of interest, couldn 't the banks then argue that THAT shows an "individual" negotiation? Ok, so your only negotiation tool is to accept their terms or walk away, but still... We know they'll; try anythign to derail us.

Discuss. :-)

Where's the negotiation? Surely you take it or leave it. They're still unilaterally imposed IMHO.:confused:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This is very constructive reasoning and propbably the most positive thing that's come out of this forum for 2 weeks.

I'm chasing up my pre-stayed case and wil use these arguments for my own case if I get the chance.

I believe that it does have to come back to the 'level' of charges as this is the cause of the outrage.

How that is done depends on getting to how the 'contract' between the bank and customer is NEVER nogotiable BECAUSE the customer cannot make a comparison between the charges imposed by the various banks (cartel/lack of competition).

This will hopefully lead to the bank having to disclose the actual cost of each penalty which they won't do due to the 'competive sensitivity of disclosure'.

To me that's the crux. Getting back to disclosure of the actual cost of penalty so that the customer has the knowledge to negotiate.