• Tweets

• Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
    • Have you asked for advice from your students union people? HB
    • I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

there is ample evidence of the banks acting in bad faith in respect of their explanations to their customers about the reason and purpose of bank charges.

I pray this is so - I pray even more that I will be able to understand it!

the evidence the banks gave to the House of Commons Treasury Committee on how bank charges were calculated was contradictory to what they told the court in the OFT test case. Is this not admissible as evidence?

Thanks YB - my sentiment on the subject still holds.

Let's hope!

Edited by kennyh
left a bit out

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to go off point quickly, something I have been meaning to say.

After finding out OH had incurred bank charges ..a lot...transfered all her stuff to my account and left her account with the overdraft they had created.

Now dealing with everything in my accouunt I have to spend at least half an hour a day checking everything, available balance , chqs going through ect so that my account never has a problem. I also do my accounts but half an hour a week should be enough.

This is a lot of work everyday just to check that the bank cannot steal off us.

Is this what they call a service ? 4 Hrs work a week to check that they cannot find an exuse to steal from us?

Just to go off point quickly, something I have been meaning to say.

After finding out OH had incurred bank charges ..a lot...transfered all her stuff to my account and left her account with the overdraft they had created.

Now dealing with everything in my accouunt I have to spend at least half an hour a day checking everything, available balance , chqs going through ect so that my account never has a problem. I also do my accounts but half an hour a week should be enough.

This is a lot of work everyday just to check that the bank cannot steal off us.

Is this what they call a service ? 4 Hrs work a week to check that they cannot find an exuse to steal from us?

ROFLMAO

Love it! Send them an invoice at Solicitors rate say £160 an hour X 4 = £640 and add FEES FOR CHECKING MY ACCOUNT - TO ELIMINATE YOUR EXCUSE TO STEAL FROM ME!

[sigh]

Not in my mind! cos I dont speak latin... can we please please please make these forums a latin free zone unless translations are given.. I'm too lazy to google :-D and half the time the latin gets translated differently each search anyway.

[rant over]

S.

Oh FFS! No one has spoken Latin as a first language since the 8th century. It is a good source of precise, pithy phrases which could take a paragraph of a modern langauge in which to express the same point. Things always sound more polite and acceptable in Latin, even if the subject of the phrase is rude, unpleasent or even obscene.

It means "Dont let the b*****ds grind you down!"

Its a well known dog Latin phrase - not real Latin, just sounds like it.

Nil - none

illegitimum - sounds like "illegitimate" (ie: b*****d)

carborundum- the stuff grinding discs are made of

Heres another one- from Caesar- Vini, vidi, vici

"I came saw I conquered"

Modern usage-

Vini vidi, velcro

"I came, I saw, I stuck around"

Or Vini, vedi, Visa

I came, I saw, I did a little shopping

Edited by noomill060

On the "ImBalance" topic of the banking contacts, then if you go into unauthorised o/d through an accidental mistake or otherwise, then the Bank "charges" you for your breach or misdemeanour.

However, if the Bank makes a mistake, then it is up to you to point this out to them and to fight for the return of the funds taken. Usually this will entail a weeks wait or longer whilst they "look into it".

They won't acceed to your request for a compensatory of even reciprocal award like £38 they charge you for what appears to be the same mistake but commited by the Bank!!

That's another imbalance methinks?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

£640 seems very reasonable to me. Why not add an additional service fee of £12,000,000? Not like it has to be a fair representation of your actual costs is it :lol: ?

I like you and the business like mind you have . I will give them a discount of 2.5% if they pay on time

:lol:

I like you and the business like mind you have . I will give them a discount of 2.5% if they pay on time

:lol:

PMSL

You are too generous £300,000.00 is a lot of money. Give them a 0.000325% discount (£35 in real money) as that is what they would have charged you. Anyway it’s not about adequacy is it?

On the "ImBalance" topic of the banking contacts, then if you go into unauthorised o/d through an accidental mistake or otherwise, then the Bank "charges" you for your breach or misdemeanour.

However, if the Bank makes a mistake, then it is up to you to point this out to them and to fight for the return of the funds taken. Usually this will entail a weeks wait or longer whilst they "look into it".

They won't acceed to your request for a compensatory of even reciprocal award like £38 they charge you for what appears to be the same mistake but commited by the Bank!!

That's another imbalance methinks?

Good point. It should be asked in court.

Oh FFS! No one has spoken Latin as a first language since the 8th century. It is a good source of precise, pithy phrases which could take a paragraph of a modern langauge in which to express the same point. Things always sound more polite and acceptable in Latin, even if the subject of the phrase is rude, unpleasent or even obscene.

It means "Dont let the b*****ds grind you down!"

Its a well known dog Latin phrase - not real Latin, just sounds like it.

Nil - none

illegitimum - sounds like "illegitimate" (ie: b*****d)

carborundum- the stuff grinding discs are made of

Heres another one- from Caesar- Vini, vidi, vici

"I came saw I conquered"

Modern usage-

Vini vidi, velcro

"I came, I saw, I stuck around"

Or Vini, vedi, Visa

I came, I saw, I did a little shopping

Or

Nem anja vidic- I play for c rap team. LOL:lol:-

Does anyone know that when we finally get the new wording for our claims can we just ammend our original claims or do we go back 6 years from the new date we are claiming from.

My claim was never actually lodged in court as I could not afford to. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I believe that once any new attack is agreed those who have claims stayed will need permission from the courts to amend their POC's. Clearly they will have an advantage and get to secure the time their claim has been delayed, thus preserving a claim that is in excess of six years.

I also believe it was a condition of the FSA claims waiver that limitation is unaffected as the banks could have just dragged it out for ever thus wiping out any claims bit by bit.

For anyone issuing a fresh claim it would stand to reason that normal limitation will apply, so 6 years will be the maximum time back that you can claim from the date you issue a claim. I can't imagine any bank failing to use statute bar arguments if and when the next onslaught of claims is commenced.

The Limitation Act doesn't apply here so long as your claim is from 1995.

The LA is a red herring the Banks will use to try get the claims struck out but just quote sect 32,b & c. ;)

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Also, whilst respectfully doing so, I need to correct you.

Once the new POC's are "out there", the route would be to write to the Defendants asking them to allow you to submit an amended POC.

If they do, which if they are professionals they will do, then that's all that's required to then simply send in the new amended POC to the Court with the Defendants reply letter agreeing to it.

Otherwise, if they don't agree to it, then you will have to spend a little dosh (£35-£75 someone will coreect me please) and submit an N244 with the amended POC attached.

The Court will always in this case agree to it and the cost then will be the Bank's.

I'm sure when the new POC is issued, details of how to submit it will be included to avoid and confusion and brown trouser moments ;)

@Natty (Sorry 'YourBank' Lol)

"With regards to the argument on what service is given. The consideration of whether to pay or not pay or increase an overdraft is what was argued in the courts so that is the service provided."

My Halifax account is a Cardcash account that is not 'underwritten' and as such does not allow you to go overdrawn, so how come if their are insufficient funds they charge me £39.00 (Laterly £35.00) not to pay an item? If I go to a cashpoint and try and draw funds when there are insufficient funds, 'Computer says no!', but no charge. With a direct debit, the charge always results. No logic here (I don't want to give the *ankers ideas though, they will probably want to introduce a 'Service Fee' on the cashpoints shortly for telling you you have insufficient funds!)

Thanks srfrench, good to have it all confirmed and sorted. Personally I can't wait to see what happens and to see what the banks come up with next. I'm surprised they haven't started charging us to leave their premises whenever we're daft enough to go and pay money into our accounts.

They'd argue we accepted the charge by entering the bank in the first place even though we had no choice but to enter the banks in order to use their great accounts! Give it time, it'll come :lol:

Strange how many daft similarities there are between bank charge justification and real world scenarios which would actually be downright illegal :rolleyes:.

:)You don't owe them a penny statute says so. The Supreme court suggested it. Start you're claims now get you're money back or if you haven't payed the charges get there money.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

@Natty (Sorry 'YourBank' Lol)

"With regards to the argument on what service is given. The consideration of whether to pay or not pay or increase an overdraft is what was argued in the courts so that is the service provided."

My Halifax account is a Cardcash account that is not 'underwritten' and as such does not allow you to go overdrawn, so how come if their are insufficient funds they charge me £39.00 (Laterly £35.00) not to pay an item? If I go to a cashpoint and try and draw funds when there are insufficient funds, 'Computer says no!', but no charge. With a direct debit, the charge always results. No logic here (I don't want to give the *ankers ideas though, they will probably want to introduce a 'Service Fee' on the cashpoints shortly for telling you you have insufficient funds!)

That is issue I would have, ie if the cash machine will say no to you and not charge you, why does the consideration from others lead to a charge. The problem is that price is out so the obvious thing is how things were presented to the individual. I still can't get price out of my head and that is a big issue for me.

I think ECJ referral on reg 5(1) and the grey list could be the way forward to clarify definitively how it is to be interpreted if price is a no go. I have no exit route to a refund if I use price as the argument.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Slightly off topic here YB....but I love the way you can't get the price argument out of your head. Solution......try a hypnotist :D

I you want to complain about the way cash machines are advertised maybe you need to complain to the Advertising Standards.

Remember this is the OFT taking the complaint not thw AS.

Edited by barry_2008
obvious mistake

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.