• Tweets

• How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HOT NEWS JUST IN FROM LLOYDS

Summary of Supreme Court Judgment

On 25 November 2009 the Supreme Court said that the level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. This means the banks have won their appeal and the test case has concluded.

This is a final judgment from the Supreme Court as they have decided it is not necessary and/or not in the public interest to make any reference to the European Court of Justice.

Q: What does this mean?

The Supreme Court decided that an unarranged overdraft charge is a key part of a current account.

This means that where the charges are explained in clear language, under consumer fairness legislation, the level of an unarranged overdraft charge can’t be challenged to see if it’s fair or not.

Q: What happens next?

While the Supreme Court judgment was a win for the banks, we acknowledge the concerns some of our customers have with these charges. We will work with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) to ensure the outstanding customer complaints are brought to a swift conclusion. We will also continue to work with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to agree a positive way forward.

Q: What does this mean for customers who have complaints about unarranged overdrafts on hold?

During the test case, we agreed with the FSA and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) that customer complaints relating to unarranged overdraft charges would remain on hold.

As the judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that these complaints should no longer remain on hold.

This means that for those customers who currently have an outstanding complaint about unarranged overdrafts, we’ll be writing to them shortly to let them know what today’s judgment means for them.

We be asking the County and Sheriff Courts to apply the Supreme Court judgment to dismiss any claims they currently have on hold.

Q: What will happen to new customer complaints about unarranged overdraft charges?

As this judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that the waiver on bank charges complaint handling should be lifted. This means we will handle complaints through our standard process. We will continue to treat customers sympathetically who are vulnerable and in financial hardship.

Q: Can I complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) about my unarranged overdraft charges?

Yes. Where a customer’s complaint is not accepted by a bank, the customer has the right to take their complaint to the FOS.

Q: How can customers avoid unarranged overdraft charges?

We continue to provide our customers with the products and services to help them avoid unarranged overdraft charges. Find out more in Managing your overdrafts.

Where can I find more information?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Low income consumers are often unable to oppose disproportionate charges on their bank accounts. Regulators should step in to protect them from being punished by their banks. Are they?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

ill now starting small claims proceedings for a further two claims that i had in the banks system but not the courts..

i agree with a lot of the posts here... pre test case business as usual , i like many others here won cases before and we will again... watch the court system come to agrinding halt now :eek:.

up an at em!!:D

Just had another thought. When this action started the government had not bailed the banks out. Not that the state is the majority shareholder pressure might have been applied find in favour of the banks

I am often as cynical about these things as everyone else, however I think in this case any allegations of unfairness in the court process really are unfounded. Supreme court judges are pretty much untouchable by the government and it would be extremely difficult for pressure of this sort to have been applied.

On top of that, I've read the judgement. It's soundly and comprehensively argued in my opinion and is entirely unambiguous as to why all the judges, in their unanimous decision, upheld the appeal.

Finally there's no point in this line of attack. The decision has been made so we simply have to find a way forward via other means.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

And there it is: The less well-off must subsidise the better-off by paying charges so that the illusion of free banking remains.

Your business fails, your spouse abandons you, you lose your job, you get conned, you fall on hard time for whatever reasons? Tough titty. :mad:

[/left]

Bookworm

This sums it all up.

There are several pages of posts now which will take me hours to read but I thinnk this is the real reason for the decision. The court opened its introduction by stating "the court did not have the task of deciding whethre or not the system of charging current account customers was fair" (Lord Walker paragraph 3). How could it then go onto Lord Philipps comments. It is totally illogical and stinks of higher intervention. The reality is that when the test case started, the banks had set aside £1 billiion in six months with estimates that the full cost of refunding charges could be £10 - 15 billion. Over the last 18 months whilst this case has rumbled on, the banks has lost billions that the taxpayer has had to fund. I think the politicians have decided that the banks couldn't afford to pay. It would be the straw that broke the bank's back.

Going forward, I am going to do three things

1. Read the full judgment over the weekend - I'm too gutted to do so right now.

2. Continue using the 'no overdraft' account I have with Halifax and then move to a European bank which don't rip customers off as soon as I can. No more UK banks for me.

3. Carry on defending the court cases on the basis of the CCA provisons. Since the banks have messd up their documentation on my credit cards, they probably have messed up the paperwork for my current account overdrafts. Two banks have added the cheque account deficits to the credit card claims. Whilst they may now be able to claim the charges, they still have to produce the paperwork. Three years ago I wouldn't have had a clue what to ask for. Due to this delay, I have had the time and the advice from CAG to now know what to ask for and boy, am I going to make them prove their claim to the full extent of the law - the laughing stock that it now is!!

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

We be asking the County and Sheriff Courts to apply the Supreme Court judgment to dismiss any claims they currently have on hold.

They might ask BUT is it a given?

Similarly, if we go to court in future and request DoD at AQ time and we note which judges accept them, should we not seek to channel all applications through those courts?

On 25 November 2009 the Supreme Court said that the level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. This means the banks have won their appeal and the test case has concluded.

This is a final judgment from the Supreme Court as they have decided it is not necessary and/or not in the public interest to make any reference to the European Court of Justice.

The Supreme Court decided that an unarranged overdraft charge is a key part of a current account.

This means that where the charges are explained in clear language, under consumer fairness legislation, the level of an unarranged overdraft charge can’t be challenged to see if it’s fair or not.

While the Supreme Court judgment was a win for the banks, we acknowledge the concerns some of our customers have with these charges. We will work with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) to ensure the outstanding customer complaints are brought to a swift conclusion. We will also continue to work with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to agree a positive way forward.

Q: What does this mean for customers who have complaints about unarranged overdrafts on hold?

During the test case, we agreed with the FSA and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) that customer complaints relating to unarranged overdraft charges would remain on hold.

As the judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that these complaints should no longer remain on hold.

This means that for those customers who currently have an outstanding complaint about unarranged overdrafts, we’ll be writing to them shortly to let them know what today’s judgment means for them.

Q: What will happen to new customer complaints about unarranged overdraft charges?

As this judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that the waiver on bank charges complaint handling should be lifted. This means we will handle complaints through our standard process. We will continue to treat customers sympathetically who are vulnerable and in financial hardship.

Q: Can I complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) about my unarranged overdraft charges?

Yes. Where a customer’s complaint is not accepted by a bank, the customer has the right to take their complaint to the FOS.

We continue to provide our customers with the products and services to help them avoid unarranged overdraft charges. Find out more in Managing your overdrafts.

Where can I find more information?

Try Disneyworld!!!!!!

They might ask BUT is it a given?

Similarly, if we go to court in future and request DoD at AQ time and we note which judges accept them, should we not seek to channel all applications through those courts?

I don't think a defendant is ever in a position to ask the courts to dismiss every case against them on mass. Claims can only be dismissed if the judge is satisfied that the claim is totally without merit, and he can only do that by looking at each claim individually.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Well the ruling has ignited my interest in the subject of bank charges again, I am just one person of many thousands. I can be a royal pain in the a*se when I think there is injustice and this goes for whether I have outstanding claims or not.

bring it on :D

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

Can they do this and do we have no say in the matter?

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

I don't think a defendant is ever in a position to ask the courts to dismiss every case against them on mass. Claims can only be dismissed if the judge is satisfied that the claim is totally without merit, and he can only do that by looking at each claim individually.

Ok, if we accept the Supreme Court judges can't be bought or otherwise unduly influenced (and I admit I haven't read though the full judgment yet), what happens if defendants to the banks claims or claimants seeking refunding of charges all decide to object to the wholesale action that lloyds say they will ask for. Wouldn't that block up the court system as well?

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Here's a suggestion.

The government provides a basic bank account that doesn't rip people off and has cascading tarifs based on your tax code. The branches would be, wait for it, your local Post Office Counter (if it's still there).

I absolutely flabbergasted over the ruling today. I've already written to 10 downing street and will see what happens next. I'm worried that the banks will now try and hoodwink everyone into thinking the case to reclaim is over when only unfair overdraft charges have been resolved.

The first couple of County Court cases need to be fully supported otherwise the banks' PR engines will further capitalise on the situation with headlines such as "Another case thrown out" etc.

We need a couple of positive PR stories, like the ones that got CAG to be such a success it has and will continue to be. I'm pledging to go all the way now, like a true terrier, once I've seen injustice I won't ever let it go, there's too much at stake here.

I am often as cynical about these things as everyone else, however I think in this case any allegations of unfairness in the court process really are unfounded. Supreme court judges are pretty much untouchable by the government and it would be extremely difficult for pressure of this sort to have been applied.

On top of that, I've read the judgement. It's soundly and comprehensively argued in my opinion and is entirely unambiguous as to why all the judges, in their unanimous decision, upheld the appeal.

Finally there's no point in this line of attack. The decision has been made so we simply have to find a way forward via other means.

Well I bet it was not unanimous but we'll never know. If you have a 'delve' you might spot why there is 'us and them' and how different worlds we seem to live in. It's not a case of who can get at who but to do with background, upbringing, education, connections and oh, money! I think the other thing is rather the time it took and the let down to many who feel both cheated and at the bottom of the ladder we are more of a hindrance rather that humans with a say and level of dignity.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?

thats the banks putting there spin on it .. but dont worrie it can be hit from anouther part

From the Halifax Website:

Overdraft bank charges court case update

Customer Q&A waiver lifted

We continue to provide our customers with the products and services to help them avoid unarranged overdraft charges. For more information on these products and services, please click here.

RE: The Lloyds Statement

Para 2.

i) The Supreme Court decided that an unarranged O/D charge is A KEY FINANCIAL PART of a current account.

I don't see that under key financial requirements in my application/agreement!

ii) This means that where the CHARGES ARE EXPLAINED IN CLEAR LANGUAGE, under consumer finance legislation, the level of an unarranged O/D charge can't be challenged to see if its fair or not.

I believe they are not and never have been explained IN CLEAR LANGUAGE.

V