• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

If ever there were those who said this would happen as a conspiracy...my hats off to them.

Unbelievable....so who can actually assess their fairness then......

The Banks didn't even offer a legal argument bar a plea in mitigation. And what the hell did the SCoJ mention about they being surprised it wasn't bought as a penalty charge.

My total faith in British Justice has now evaporated.....I'm sure they have done a deal.

Also when they say that the fees are for a service.....and core terms then who can asses and as for historical charges when they were classed as penalties. After all wasn't it someone else on this forum who rightly said that that refusing to honour a DD is a service, likening it to going to a regular nightclub and wanting to pay foe entry only to be told sorry you're wearing jeans you can't come in and oh! that'll be £10 please.

I am beyond reason in this judgement, it stinks, and I'm sure there is a major flaw in it!!! (I hope)

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Heaven forbid what Ms Knight will say about this.

Oh here it is:

Supreme Court Statement

25/11/2009

The Supreme Court has today confirmed that the Banks' unarranged overdraft charges are an important part of current account services which the Banks provide to their customers and that the amount of those charges is not assessable for fairness.

The Banks acknowledge the unanimous decision of the Supreme Court to allow their appeal in respect of these charges. We recognise this issue has been of real concern to a large number of our customers and we are pleased that this decision now brings clarity for all parties.

The Banks will work with the regulators to ensure that the outstanding customer complaints are brought to a swift conclusion. We will also continue to work together with the OFT in connection with its on-going Market study.

Please refer to the BBA's and individual Banks' websites for further information.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

forums don't work you need solicitors don't jump on the band wagon the next time

Oh look, a told you so post from Barry

Why am I not surprised

Not everyone can afford a solicitor Barry

If you cant be more helpful then why dont you just dissapear - you are not wanted here

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

it's not, it's something about European warrants? :-?

Yeah, the Supreme Court judgments page (http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/news/judgments.html) is linking to the wrong file.

I've attached the press summary, since that's correct...not that I agree with the result - what a load of [insert appropriate expletive here] :(

Cheers

Michael

uksc_2009_0070_ps.pdf

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

It does occur to me that the banks may well have shot themselves in the foot in that the government , like they did in the appalling asbestos ruling, indicate previously that if the OFT lost they would bring in legislation that would force the banks to comply ..... & remember there's a GE on the horizon so get lobbying your MP NOW

You have to wonder what the point of having an OFT is after this.

Politicians have emptied our wallets to pay vast sums to the banks to pay for their profligacy and now the banks have been given carte blanche to charge whatever the hell they like. It's quite pathetic really.

I suppose the one remaining avenue is for someone with deep pockets to revisit the issue of whether the charges are penalties or not. It's extraordinary that the OFT didn't pursue this issue to appeal and makes me wonder whether the whole test case was really a set up to screw the consumer.

Others with more legal knowledge will comment but I suppose this means that the stays on claims will now be lifted. Does that leave those claiming with any legal avenues to pursue in court. Today's decision doesn't really hinder them- it's the original ruling on penalties that does.

Whatever happens this must not mean that CAG comes to an end. We know that we have right on our side and this site helps an awful lot of people. Even if the bank charges issue dies (and I hope it doesn't), there's an awful lot of work to do to bring debt collection agencies, debt buyers and credit reference agencies to heal.

lloyds TSB I'am begging you try and take me to court now.

pmsl try and get past the NHS if you can

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

Good morning all,

This is NOT over yet........whilst it may appear so, remember that the Judgement leaves the way open for the OFT to consider other avenues.

I expect a statement from them shortly. Those who have negative views on this site are, in my opinion, 'not wanted on voyage'.

The only way forwards is to have a concerted action with support from the OFT.

To all my fellow caggers : DON'T GIVE UP YET!

Best wishes to everyone

Dougal

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Everyone has to show these Judges and the Banks the weight of people power DEMAND that you have your wages salary paid in cash.........this will hurt the Banks more that any judgement ruling, then they cannot touch your money before you have a chance to draw any of it.

THIS MUST BE DONE NOW ..........I believe the Bill of Rights Act 1689 can be used.

sparkie

from the bba website

The Banks acknowledge the unanimous decision of the Supreme Court to allow their appeal in respect of these charges. We recognise this issue has been of real concern to a large number of our customers and we are pleased that this decision now brings clarity for all parties.

The Banks will work with the regulators to ensure that the outstanding customer complaints are brought to a swift conclusion. We will also continue to work together with the OFT in connection with its on-going Market study.

well from that short article on al beeb two things stand out, one that I as the customer agreed to pay over draft charges (in reality I had no say in the matter as the conditions were forced in me) and second that the OFT was refused permission to appeal to the European Court?

The first is galling, but the second is absolutely flabergasting!

Mailman

Not normally one to go to an extreme, but why not do this. If everybody converts as many Direct Debits back to paper bills as you can, and each month, after your salary has been paid, withdraw all the money out of your account bar any DD or SO that can't go back to paper bills. That way we deprive the banks of a source of money to provide loans, as I can't see then using the discredited money markets that caused the credit crunch in the first place.

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

ive getin bugga all

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

This appeal involved a relatively narrow issue. The Supreme Court had to decide not whether the banks’ charges for unauthorised overdrafts were fair but whether the OFT could launch an investigation into whether they were fair.

So, the people who say if it is fair or not are still small claims judges? Back to square 1!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

The banks will rely on this judgement and use it until we all go bankrupt.

suffering.

Settled Claims:

Abbey: £4025 Claimed 27/02/06 - Paid in full 19/06/06

NatWest: £4529 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 1/08/06

Halifax: £1150 lba 18/05/06 - Paid in full 07/06/06

Natwest CC: £420 Initial letter 25/07/06 - Paid in full 08/06

Woolwich: £1100 Paid in full 28/2/07 + Default removed

NatWest Pt 2: £1700 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 7/2/07 + Defaults removed

Current Claims:

Abbey Pt 2: £2300 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Alliance & Leicester: £1421 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Refunds pending:

Capital Bank: Swift Advances: Halifax