• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something must be happening ......... I got a statement of Account for an old Abbey account that had over £1000.00 in bank charges going back about five years or so. There was a credit to the account in May 2009 bring the account to - £93.00 very strange .

I believe that with all the changes to the 'usual' structure of bank charges ie. HBOS £1 per day on overdraft etc, that the banks are worried that the ruling is going to be in our favour & have devised a plan whereby "ok they have to refund millions but no worries chaps, we'll get it all back by doing this"

I can see no other reason for the banks to be changing the way they have operated for years if they think they're going to win at the HoL.

I had same Jake.

Had default for bank charges standing at £490 for last 3 years. Suddenly it has changed to £80. What are they doing?

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

Have abbey started automatically paying back charges then? Seems people are getting strange statments from them.

23/02/07 Request for payment sent (hand delivered to my local branch)

08/03/07 Standard Letter from Barlclays saying they are looking in to my complaint received

13/03/07 Letter before action sent (hand delivered to my local branch)

27/03/07 Partial offer of £1255 received

29/03/07 MCOL submitted

One thing is for sure if the judgement handed down is in the publics favour it will be extremely hard to get though to the banks on the phone.

They will be inundated with calls lol still at least the poor soles will be earning there bonus that day.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Ooooooo... I get excited each time this thread appears in my subs, only to be disappointed when I get here, eventually :mad:

You and me both... also this pesky page 135 problem, it always says theres another page but when I click on it, its the top of the previous page :-(

S.

Ooooooo... I get excited each time this thread appears in my subs, only to be disappointed when I get here, eventually :mad:

me too:(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You and me both... also this pesky page 135 problem, it always says theres another page but when I click on it, its the top of the previous page :-(

S.

Nooooooo!!!!! More disappointment...

Page 135 is like Room 101 - you don't want to be there.

Actually, it's because there are unapproved posts. When posts are unapproved, they lose their post numbers and the others are rearranged around it. What you're seeing is the next page, containing those posts, as they are still visible to site team, only.

That explanation was so boring, sorry...

me too:(

:lol:

Does anyone know how the court case with OFT is going? My hubby has to date paid over £1000 in bank charges (over the last 6 yrs).

He used a template from this forum and requested that they pay back all of it this was 8 months ago. They wrote back within the 14 days and said that he would have to wait until the court case.

Because he was and is working i don't think the hardship thing applies to him,or does it?:?

The date just seems to go on and on, I too have cases stuck at court. I have recently applied to Halifax for 1k of charges to be refunded under hardship rules, despite showing on an income and ex form that I am 100 short every month when essential bills have been paid out, ie gas elec, priority debt rent food petrol they have said i am not experiencing hardship... lol come over to my side of the woods then and see if you can cope.... dont know what to do now as this is a bog off letter, should i go to financial ombudsman or just file at court and get stuck in the big wheel of cases?

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

The date just seems to go on and on, I too have cases stuck at court. I have recently applied to Halifax for 1k of charges to be refunded under hardship rules, despite showing on an income and ex form that I am 100 short every month when essential bills have been paid out, ie gas elec, priority debt rent food petrol they have said i am not experiencing hardship... lol come over to my side of the woods then and see if you can cope.... dont know what to do now as this is a bog off letter, should i go to financial ombudsman or just file at court and get stuck in the big wheel of cases?

There is nothing to force any financial institution to pay anything if they do not want to. Whilst there are guidelines, they are simply that and it's voluntary. It's a shame that many have decided to take the view of the (regular) 'upper hand'. My view is that they consider financial hardship as something that reflects to them, as a commercial enterprise, that the customer has served their useful purpose and is no longer required. With the 'stay' in place there's nothing one can do.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Remind me again - the HOL decision is only whether OFT should be able to carry out their evaluation of the situation - isn't it?

Yeah!

And when they said that their decision would be announced in the 'autumn'

I think they meant 'the autumn of our lives' - at least it seems that bloody long.

Edited by hsbcfiddled
text

They will never agree straight off, I would complain to the FOS with all the details you have provided.

If you go the court route you will a) Have to find the money to file the claim unless you can get remission or are on benefits b) have to wait until the conclusion although you should get the stat s69 interest on top of what you are claiming.

S.

As a thought I can just imagine HMRC sitting on the fence like vultures thinking, 'can we class these repayments as income and even better unearned income?' Me and my cynical viewpoint. LOL

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

As a thought I can just imagine HMRC sitting on the fence like vultures thinking, 'can we class these repayments as income and even better unearned income?' Me and my cynical viewpoint. LOL

Michael

It is income, but it's income that was taken from me over the last 8 years, so it's my money I'm reclaiming, not "new" income ;)

It is income, but it's income that was taken from me over the last 8 years, so it's my money I'm reclaiming, not "new" income ;)

LOL I was being cynical. ;)

Now let me think, I buy a bar of chocolate. The chocolate bar is made up of elements from cocoa to the packaging. Each element involved other elements and taxation. When I buy my chocolate bar the shop will pay tax and VAT will be paid. So during every stage of the chocolate bar's indivual 'build' the tax man had a nibble of it.

Michael

Now let me think, I buy a bar of chocolate. The chocolate bar is made up of elements from cocoa to the packaging. Each element involved other elements and taxation. When I buy my chocolate bar the shop will pay tax and VAT will be paid. So during every stage of the chocolate bar's indivual 'build' the tax man had a nibble of it.

Michael

Welcome to the UK!!! Every step you can think of money is taxed. You earn it, and before you see it, TAX. It goes into you bank, if it earns any interest TAX you take it out and buy a car pay vat (the t standing for TAX) and road TAX you fill the car with petrol BIG TAX you take up drinking MORE TAX and smoking EVEN MORE TAX then you die INHERITANCE TAX!!!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Michael

Er, yes, ok... :confused:

The difference, there, being you have a choice of which chocolate to buy. Actually, Tesco do a very nice little bar of Value chocolate for 27p, or something. Then you have your £2 bar of chocolate from Cadbury's, or whatever. Just try paying a Bank 27p for them "considering" a tacit overdraft and see what the response is. :mad: At least you can choose where to buy your chocolate, how much you eat, how much you pay for it, etc, etc... Can't be doing that with the Banks, as they have a monopoly on the competition in their market, IMHO.

:mad:

Good evening everyone, At the risk of repeating myself ;) does anyone have any idea when the case will be considered at the supreme court? I have been looking at their website, OFT,FSA,BBA and BBC news all to no avail.What is the general consensus of how things will go? I'm afraid I have lost all heart...........Someone give me some hope, or at least some information.Thankyou.