• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think all these appeals and 'phases' are to get the matter decided, legally, for once and for all. The Judges are not 'pro' bank at all, they are 'pro' law.

To come out half cock will be no good to anyone.

15th April the banks have to have their petition to appeal in, then I think 6 weeks for all the paperwork, so its definately going to be end of MAY before any dates can be set. The HoL thus far have dealt with it quickly, they have their breaks tho which will slow the next bit up, and we know the banks won't rush.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please allow me to sum up.....

The banks are charging us causing hardship and distress we fight back and are blocked by a government institution which is "Helping us".

This institution takes so long, the banks stuff up the whole economy so the gov has to use our money to bail most of them out!

As punishment the chief banker who caused most of the problems for his bank gets told off and sent home with a £703000 a year pension.

we are now faced with the situation of the government sueing it's self!

I lost my business due to this mess. Yesterday I was 12p short on a cheque and have just been charged £35.

is that about right? anyone else feel a bit bitter over this?

The soloution. Have our gov get some balls, force the banks it controls to lower their charges. The others will follow along as soon as people start leaving them.

Once this has been done stop the action and use the money saved on both sides to pay back the charges to the people. Simples.

what do you think?

Edited by buck rogers
forgot the full stops in my rant!!

Please allow me to sum up.....

The banks are charging us causing hardship and distress we fight back and are blocked by a government institution which is Helping us(what are you talking about? OFT?). this institution takes so long the banks stuff up the whole economy so the gov has to use our money to bail most of them out! as punishment the chief banker who caused most of the problems for his bank gets told off and sent home with a £7003000 a year pension.

we are now faced with the situation of the government sueing its self!(The OFT is suing banks' and not all of them have government shareholding so are privately owned banks)

and i lost my business due to this mess was 12p short on a cheque yesterday and have just been charged £35.

is that about right anyone else feel a bit bitter over this?(nope)

The soloution. Have our gov get some balls force the banks it controls to lower their charges(which the OFT did with Credit Cards and what happened? People continue to sue banks through the courts. Do you want a solution that is viable long term or a short termed solution that takes you back to the start again?) the others will follow along soon as people start leaving them. once this has been done stop the action and use the money saved on both sides to pay back the charges to the people. Simples.

Fair enough, we'll have £12 set as the limit and I am sure everyone on CAG will not sue their banks. Right?

what do you think?

I think I know where you are coming from but it is unworkable.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Of course it wont work its not the point really. Its just showing how little we all mean down here and if you think any different then im jelous. What are the odds of the dicision going our way honestly. It would cost the banks and in turn now the goverment millions/billions. it would bankrupt the country. The mess is farcical caused bu the people behind closed door and will be handled by people behind closed doors.

Well not posted for a long time fed up of all this now to be honest but still log in from time to time to see what happening i am one of those who was due to be paid in july 07 and then got stayed

so to make sure i am upto date on all the different happenings

1) andrew smith ruled current charges not penalties but are subject to ucctr

2) banks appealed

3) andrew smith then went on to rule that historical terms are generally subject to ucctr and not penalties (Except for a couple of banks)

4)banks appeal on current terms conditons was heard beggining of feb in appeal courts and they lost and basically refused right to appeal to house of lords

5)Banks requested to house of lords for right to appeal their right for an Appeal in the house of lords

6) this was granted and they now have until 15th april 2009 to have submissions into the house of lords for why they have the right to appeal

7)meantime the OFT have to employ more than one person half a day a week :lol::lol: to now actually try and summatize what a fair charge would be for the banks to charge in these matters (and to alieviate the pressure on this poor person are reducing it down to just 3 of the banks infarstructure

Question on point 3 as all my charges will come under historical terms due to the miracuriously coincidental JULY 07 rewrite of TOC's has this point been appealed by the banks if so what is the state of play and what are the next dates to watch out for in this part of the saga

not trying to be smart mouthed or anything else

In 06 when i started my claims i was very read up on here and other places for what was going on now i struggle to just keep abreast of what our next delay date is to be and exactly what the state of play is

Thank you in advance for any responses to my post

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

I will reply to this as a 'layman'. I see it as the slow rolling rules of law that should have vanished 50 yerars ago. We have instant access to so much these days so why not law?

A perfect example is my mother dying last year. We cremated her in late July but I never received probate for almost 4 months. I was the sole living reletive too! It was in fact little but I tell you the funeral directors and solicitors took their share fast!

Things run way too slowly these days. It's only the judiciary lagging behind it would seem! C'mon almost 2 years to come to ... NO final decision!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

I will reply to this as a 'layman'. I see it as the slow rolling rules of law that should have vanished 50 yerars ago. We have instant access to so much these days so why not law?

A perfect example is my mother dying last year. We cremated her in late July but I never received probate for almost 4 months. I was the sole living reletive too! It was in fact little but I tell you the funeral directors and solicitors took their share fast!

Things run way too slowly these days. It's only the judiciary lagging behind it would seem! C'mon almost 2 years to come to ... NO final decision!

Michael

I think the problem is that there are thousands and thousands of cases in the court system. Adequate time has to be given for a case to be heard. For example, the UTCCR 1999 is about European Law so it is on very minute terms of reference. The first parts of the cases involved legal teams from both sides and skeleton arguments as well. Justice Smith for example, had about 20 or 30 binders of information. We are moving faster forward now IMHO.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with this query. Two of my friends are going through a divorce at the current time. They commenced a claim for the recovery of their bank charges on a joint account. I am assuming as their is joint liability then any payouts would be to both of them too. However obviously when the divorce comes through they wont be Mr. and Mrs. anymore so would the bank, if the time comes, pay any refund half and half to each of them equally?

Thanks.

TheyrCriminals

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with this query. Two of my friends are going through a divorce at the current time. They commenced a claim for the recovery of their bank charges on a joint account. I am assuming as their is joint liability then any payouts would be to both of them too. However obviously when the divorce comes through they wont be Mr. and Mrs. anymore so would the bank, if the time comes, pay any refund half and half to each of them equally?

Thanks.

TheyrCriminals

Gotta say that I don't know the answer to this one. I think they would refund to one of the parties but again that is a guess. I would get them to write to the bank and ask and then post here(so we all know if it comes up again).

My worry is that the government think it is in their interest NOT to pay back the charges as this would put a hole in the money they have bailed some of the banks out with.

Also a decent/reasonable profit on future charges ensures that their ''stakehold'' in some of the banks is more sound.

My guess anyway

pre lim letter sent 4/07/06

lba sent 18/07/06

N1 served 2rd Aug.

Paid in full Aug 15th

Checked account today 16th !!

Fair enough, we'll have £12 set as the limit and I am sure everyone on CAG will not sue their banks. Right?

We ARE still using the basic argument that OFT can fix whatever figure they like (as with the CC companies)-Yes ? But we then deploy the argument that OFT word is NOT law and then invite the offending parties to "show and tell" which, of course they don't. This remains the case - yes?

We ARE still using the basic argument that OFT can fix whatever figure they like (as with the CC companies)-Yes ? But we then deploy the argument that OFT word is NOT law and then invite the offending parties to "show and tell" which, of course they don't. This remains the case - yes?

sort of.

£12 is the limit that would cause action against the cc company, that's all. It is not a level that is deemed to be fair.

therefore you can still argue that £12 is too much.

The OFT figure was always going to be a temporary measure. I suspect that they will relook at this on the conclusion of the OFT test case issues. The Law, as you have said, is the Law.

Just seen this on HSBC website. Sorry if it's already been posted.

Latest Update: 3 April 2009

The OFT has announced the next phase of its ongoing enquiry into overdraft fees. To streamline and potentially shorten the enquiry, which was commenced in March 2007, the OFT has decided to look at a representative sample of three UK banks current account terms and conditions, including those of HSBC.

The OFT has made it clear that the selection of the three banks is not to be seen as an indictment of these banks - they are purely representative of the different terms and conditions that exist among the many banks and building societies that offer current accounts and overdrafts in the UK.

HSBC welcomes this initiative and we will continue to cooperate fully and constructively to the ongoing enquiry.

The OFT enquiry investigation is running in parallel with the high court test case. Within this the banks have just been granted leave to appeal to the House of Lords regarding assessing terms and conditions for fairness, and will progress the appeal as quickly as possible.

The OFT enquiry investigation is running in parallel with the high court test case. Within this the banks have just been granted leave to appeal to the House of Lords regarding assessing terms and conditions for fairness, and will progress the appeal as quickly as possible.

I took that seriously until I saw that last bit:D:shock:

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Just seen this on HSBC website. Sorry if it's already been posted.

Latest Update: 3 April 2009

The OFT has announced the next phase of its ongoing enquiry into overdraft fees. To streamline and potentially shorten the enquiry, which was commenced in March 2007, the OFT has decided to look at a representative sample of three UK banks current account terms and conditions, including those of HSBC.

The OFT has made it clear that the selection of the three banks is not to be seen as an indictment of these banks - they are purely representative of the different terms and conditions that exist among the many banks and building societies that offer current accounts and overdrafts in the UK.

HSBC welcomes this initiative and we will continue to cooperate fully and constructively to the ongoing enquiry.

My opinion, should you want it, (those that don't can go "back" and read the next subbed thread without causing offence) is that this should be welcomed.

Imagine the further delay if all the T&C's had to be considered - this way, a "pilot" will be done to test the waters.

The only issue will be where the other Banks don't accept the analysis of the "pilot"/"water testing" and challenge their own, end-to-end.

Of course, though, this is a warning salvo to the Banks that the OFT will not accept any unacceptable delay - I mean, how can these Banks justify not complying with the investigation and still say they want it dealt with as quickly as possible.

In my case, all I want the OFT to do is be ready to release their findings/decisions when this darn Test Case outcome is known.

The only issue will be where the other Banks don't accept the analysis of the "pilot"/"water testing" and challenge their own, end-to-end.

That's OK 'Car' - then one of us can 'invite' them to court for a 'show & tell' session!

The main reason the Banks dont want the OFT to test the fairness is because they know they will lose and even if the 12.00 fee is agreed -it still wont be statute and so could still leave the doors open to carry on with the claim.

Interestingly we have seen default fees come down to as low as £8.00 now.

Even Business charges have seen amazing change;RBS have agreed to freeze all business charges for a year.

The fee for an unpaid cheque or unpaid standing order on a Barclays business account is now £2.00

I remember this costing up to £39.50 with their added little extras.

Their excuse that its now so low ?????

"We have managed to improve our processing and handling systems " Ha Ha what a joke-but interesting that these figures were introduced around the same time as they changed the wording of their Terms and Conditions to include the word "RETAIL".

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

The fee for an unpaid cheque or unpaid standing order on a Barclays business account is now £2.00
Wasn't sure where you got that from Martin.

I presume you have misinterpreted

Cheques returned to you unpaid £2
which actually refers to
Cheques returned to you unpaid – This is where a cheque is paid into your account which is returned unpaid by the drawer’s bank.
Barclays Business Accounts are still charging £30 odd

If there are insufficient funds in your account when we receive

cheques or other items for payment, it is within our discretion

whether the payment is processed. If we do, you will incur a

Paid Referral Fee of £30. This will only be charged when the

unauthorised overdraft is more than £30 and on each occasion

it increases by more than £30. We understand that we all make

the odd mistake and as such we won’t charge the first Paid

Referral Fee in each charging quarter. The interest rate for

unauthorised borrowings, including those within the £30 buffer

zone, is charged at 29.5 per cent a year. Additionally, if an item

is returned unpaid due to there being insufficient funds in your

account, we will charge you an Unpaid Fee of £35 for each

such payment, which is our fee for having considered whether

to process such payment.

http://www.business.barclays.co.uk/BBB/A/Content/Files/P59204_Barclays_tarriffs.pdf

If not and they have reduced their unauth charges to £2 then that would be fantastic news.

Edited by yourbank