• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"3. The Banks’ appeal to the Court of Appeal has now failed and we have now refused permission to appeal to the House of Lords. The Banks are of course entitled to apply to the House of Lords for permission to appeal."

The high court judges wrote the above. There was not a No chance, or a Don't bother whatsoever.

The banks exercised their right to appeal.

the appeal has failed, they were denied a further appeal.

all this is saying is that the banks could ask the HoL to ask for the right to ignore the courts and ask for the right to appeal, for the HoL to overturn the courts denial of further appeal. Not actually appeal, which I assume would come along if the HoL allowed them to do so.

Until the HoL give them the right to appeal, they have NO right to appeal.

If it was anyone else but the banks it would end here and the OFT could get on with its job... its a farce, it disgusts me.:x

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree.

the appeal has failed, they were denied a further appeal.

all this is saying is that the banks could ask the HoL to ask for the right to ignore the courts and ask for the right to appeal, for the HoL to overturn the courts denial of further appeal. Not actually appeal, which I assume would come along if the HoL allowed them to do so.

Until the HoL give them the right to appeal, they have NO right to appeal.

If it was anyone else but the banks it would end here and the OFT could get on with its job... its a farce, it disgusts me.:x

On a point of order you are right. They haven't appealed but exercised their right to ask permission for the right to appeal to the HoL which is their right under UK Law.

Bit in bold, did you read that booklet? Without asking the HoL I would not be able to fully answer the question as to the number of cases that were refused leave to appeal yet petitioned the court to appeal.

For reference it is pages 4 and 5

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/HofLBpJudicial.pdf

I think we differ in our view.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I think the implicit message is there. The banks of course choose not to hear it, not because they have a chance of succeeding unless the old boys network comes out to play, but because they will resist this to the bitter end regardless of their earlier promises.

That's the bit that worries me though. Someone has already mentioned Fred Goodwin and how he's been allowed to get away with what he's been doing. All it takes now is a couple of old drinking buddies who's Daddies used to share a dorm at Footlights and the whole thing's screwed.

I'm fairly confident this sum it all up perfectly...

YouTube - University Challenge - The Young Ones

"Yes you're almost there, can you give me anymore?"

"Certainly, will £50 do?"

"Absolutely spot on..."

Prelim letter received by Barclays: 26/03/07

**************no reply***************

LBA received by Barclays: 10/04/07

N1 filed at court: 25/04/07

N1 received by Barclays: 04/05/07

Offer of £1,885.00: 04/05/07 (turned down)

Offer rejection received by B'clays: 08/05/07

Barclays Acknowledge Claim: 11/05/07

Barclays Defence Filed: 18/05/07

Directions Hearing Date Set: 06/08/07

Case Stayed Until Feb '08

That's the bit that worries me though. Someone has already mentioned Fred Goodwin and how he's been allowed to get away with what he's been doing. What did he get away with?

All it takes now is a couple of old drinking buddies who's Daddies used to share a dorm at Footlights (there are no dorms at footlights as it is a drama club at Cambridge University) and the whole thing's screwed.

I'm fairly confident this sum it all up perfectly...

YouTube - University Challenge - The Young Ones

"Yes you're almost there, can you give me anymore?"

"Certainly, will £50 do?"

"Absolutely spot on..."

What total and utter rubbish. Paranoia at its worst.

Albeit I love The Young Ones and that episode was an absolute classic.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hmmm, don't know what happened there! See below.

What total and utter rubbish. Paranoia at its worst.

Albeit I love The Young Ones and that episode was an absolute classic.

Well that's one way to look at it. Alternatively you could say that your view is "total and utter rubbish" and is in fact naivety at its worst.

But then I guess it comes down to something along the lines of "you say potato..."

Do you really not think that people look after their own in times of hardship and do you really believe the banks are learning from their mistakes? If they have, could you explain how the fact that I have lived in three houses in the last three and a half years meant that Barclays found a credit check too difficult to do when I was speaking about a short term loan for around £3k and yet they told me it would be no problem to sort me £20k if I wanted it?!

Forgive me if I'm being cynical but the banks have hardly covered themselves in glory have they?

PS Sorry, I meant to add that I'm not blaming all of this on you yourbank, far from it, it's good to have differing opinions. I just re-read it and it seemed imply that to me so sorry if it looked like that to you too.

Edited by koalaattack

Well that's one way to look at it. Alternatively you could say that your view is "total and utter rubbish" and is in fact naivety at its worst.

But then I guess it comes down to something along the lines of "you say potato..."

Do you really not think that people look after their own in times of hardship and do you really believe the banks are learning from their mistakes? If they have, could you explain how the fact that I have lived in three houses in the last three and a half years meant that Barclays found a credit check too difficult to do when I was speaking about a short term loan for around £3k and yet they told me it would be no problem to sort me £20k if I wanted it?!

Forgive me if I'm being cynical but the banks have hardly covered themselves in glory have they?

The least thing you can do if you are referring to Footlights is to get your facts right.

Are we talking about the OFT test case or are we talking about your paranoia?

FWIW, Barclays were upselling you 20k loan cos it would mean more to them over their target than a 3k loan(it would be cheaper for you as well but I guess I shouldn't suggest that they indicated something of benefit to you cos that would clearly be wrong).

Paranoia?

Peeps are bound to feel that way.

They have no faith in the banking system, all they see is the corruption, the mismanagement of our savngs and tax money on so many levels.

Trust the system? Trust the banks? Remember when the gingerbread man trusted the fox...

how long do the banks have to appeal decision to house of lords what are we waiting for it should be open season... the oft should have had their house in order expecting this result??????????? fred goodwin vandalism I believe is only the start of worse to come...

mp expenses

banks charging

£4 direct debit admin fees

gross mis selling of insurances, endowments , shares

0845 and 0870 numbers....

increase in council tax, fuel tax almost every other tax

what next?????this country has been brought to its knees by greed

this government or any other government does not know how to stop the train rolling on

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

The least thing you can do if you are referring to Footlights is to get your facts right. I was making a flippant remark about the whole idea of an old boys club based largely around the whole Young Ones joke in the link I posted. It wasn't necessarily factually correct but you're right, it should be. Must try harder.

Are we talking about the OFT test case or are we talking about your paranoia? I was talking about the case whilst no doubt having my views tainted by my paranoia. I probably am paranoid but given the way that I have been treated by Barclays in the past my paranioa comes from previous experience. My thread is about in the Barclays forum if you can be bothered (I can't blame you if you can't!) - there's an interesting exchange that happened in my local branch where I was being pressured into taking a Barclaycard out by an account manager (or whoever, I didn't have her full title so sorry about the facts).

I don't think I'm alone either, especially given that my bad experiences have been extremely minimal compaired to some on here and no doubt others who have never heard of CAG. That doesn't excuse them though.

FWIW, Barclays were upselling you 20k loan cos it would mean more to them over their target than a 3k loan(it would be cheaper for you as well but I guess I shouldn't suggest that they indicated something of benefit to you cos that would clearly be wrong). Yes, I was fully aware of why they did it, what I was asking was whether you believed that they had actually learnt their lessons? I don't believe they have as agreeing to give someone a loan for £20k when they are after £3k seems a little strange to me.

I'm also not entirely sure how being £20k in debt rather than £3k is beneficial to me other than I may pay less in interest percentage-wise. Surely that's negated by the fact I would owe nearly seven times what I was actually after though?

I'm guessing from your user name you have a more indepth knowledge with all of this than me. My experience of banks is that of a customer pure and simple so I accept that I have to bow to your greater experience on this if I am right. And as I said in my post, I welcome this as I can learn more and start to build a full picture of things, so thanks for taking the time to answer me directly.

The main point I was making was that I have no doubt that sometimes people in power make decisions that will benefit their own regardless of whether it is the correct, moral decision. Whether that power is as a football referee, a parent, a policeman, Senior Managment etc doesn't alter the fact that sometimes it happens. I don't think that can be argued with really. My point about Fred Goodwin was that whilst legally he may be right to cliam his incredible pension due to his contract, morally I think he is on dodgy ground. But that's my opinion only. I doubt I am alone in this however.

I don't want to hijack this thread though as that isn't fair on other users so may be it's best we agree to disagree?

By the way, I love the in quote answers idea so I hope you don't mind me knicking it!

Cheers.

Paranoia?

Peeps are bound to feel that way.

They have no faith in the banking system, all they see is the corruption, the mismanagement of our savngs and tax money on so many levels.

Could not have said it better

How can the banks etc expect people to trust them when it is highlighted everyday that the only thing they care about is the shortterm profits to be made by carrying out as many dodgy deals as they can, and if the little man in the street gets burned so what.

I'm all right Jack with my gold plated pension, paid for by you mugs, the Tax payer.

Talking of potential paranoia, I change my mind about the good ol' legal system all the time. Can't help Mr part time Plumber in the SCC, but I remember things like Customs and Excise 'having a word' in duty free reclaims etc....

Watching Peep Show last night watching a juror clubbing with the defendant didn't help lmao. :D

It's all diminishing now since we are getting some form of justice (I do not understand how they are not penalties....how could I since they are) but until it's over I'm always going to worry about the gov. or some other sh*tes managing to stop justice. Who really doesn't worry about that possibility? It shouldn't be possible, but I can't help but think it is! :(

Crush, I agree 100%

Hi Guys,

Anyone seen this?

It looks as though the House of Lords have already decided that the banks can have another appeal, that was very quick!!!! So the litigation continues, appeal hearing probably expected in late summer/early autumn.

BBC NEWS | Business | Banks will appeal on charges case

TheyrCriminals

Edited by TheyrCriminals

I think it would be interesting to see how many people in the House of Lords actually have connections with financial institutions. Where can one find that information from I wonder?

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

If you have read my thread you will be in little doubt that I am more than a little cynical regarding our chances of getting justice in the UK when taking on an institution like the British banking system. However "the jury is out" on this latest twist. From my understanding the banks had 8 weeks to put their arguements to the Law Lords, on past record they would have waited 7 weeks 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes before submitting, they would be hoping that the process would then take sufficient time that no decsion would have been made before the Lords summer recess. We would then not have a decision untill October at the earliest, yet more time wasted. What the Law Lords have done is blow the whistle on the banks time wasting antics. They have stipulated that the petition of appeal be lodged by 15 April. How long it will take for the hearing to be listed remains to be seen but I hope that it will be listed quickly to be heard before the Lords summer break. I believe that we have to get this hurdle out the way so that, if/when the banks lose their appeal they will take the it to the European Law courts enabling us to get a final decission sometime in 2010. Then again we will see the closing of ranks and not see a plugged nickle.

I think it would be interesting to see how many people in the House of Lords actually have connections with financial institutions. Where can one find that information from I wonder?

Michael

That is verging on libelous. We are not talking about your political Lords but Legally trained Law Lords with years of experience. Name 1 LAW LORD who has links to financial institutions outside of the fact that they have a bank account?

Ah ha, we clash again yourbank! Have a look at this definition I found...

"In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. It is often, but not always,[1] a requirement that this claim be false, and, or alternatively, that the publication is made to someone other than the person defamed."

Going by that, I don't really see how asking how many or which people have connections with banks is libelous?

If the statement read as something that clearly outlined that the poster was 100% certain that the only reason that this had happened was because X, Y and Z were looking after their own interests then that would be libelous (or certainly verging on it) but the poster is just asking a question so I don't see how it is even close to being libelous?

I'm sure you can let me know though ;)

What the Law Lords have done is blow the whistle on the banks time wasting antics. They have stipulated that the petition of appeal be lodged by 15 April. How long it will take for the hearing to be listed remains to be seen but I hope that it will be listed quickly to be heard before the Lords summer break. I believe that we have to get this hurdle out the way so that, if/when the banks lose their appeal they will take the it to the European Law courts enabling us to get a final decission sometime in 2010.

I really want this to be correct but I am afraid I still haven't seen anything to calm my cynicism. Yet!

I withdraw the comment koala as my early morning coffee was not sinking in ;)

However, the Law Lords could have taken 8 weeks to make a decision for/against the petition but in fact took 1 week which I think is commendable of them.

The next process is that they have 14 days to submit paperwork. It will be interesting to read the banks' submission.

I withdraw the comment koala as my early morning coffee was not sinking in ;)

However, the Law Lords could have taken 8 weeks to make a decision for/against the petition but in fact took 1 week which I think is commendable of them.

The next process is that they have 14 days to submit paperwork. It will be interesting to read the banks' submission.

No worries yourbank - you don't know how proud I am at the moment, I've never been right on the internet before!

You're right about the bank's submission though - will it be public and will we get to read it or do we just have to reply on what gets reported in the press?

Cheers!

Perhaps the banks DONT have the money to hand back to people they have taken in 'overdue/late charges' over the years and the accrued interest on these charges. That is probably why they have appealed, although the 'decent' thing all round would be to offer each customer over the period a £300 or £500 lump sum as part payment for their errors... would save a fortune on legal fees all round. These delighted customers would then go out and spend spend spend before the banks can think of a way of taking it back and thereby kickstart the economy again...

But of course it is FAR too simple for them to comprehend how taking money from somebody's account the day before payday as they will be 'overdrawn' when they take the direct debits out at midnight on the day before rather than 24 hour later which they used to do!

I am now thoroughly confused about what appeal, whose appealing to whom for what.

Let me get this straight, for me and I am sure I am not the only one:

Bank loses in Appeal Courts.

Appeals court deny them the right to appeal their decision.

Bank go straight to HOL to appeal against the Appeal court's decision.

HOL grants them the right to appeal.

Soooo... the submission is for the HOL to reconsider the Appeal Courts verdict, right?

Now, correct me if I am wrong (I often am), but isn't it the case that for an appeal to be heard it has to be on a point of law and not simply because you disagree with the decision? That being the case, doesn't it mean that the HOL must have already heard a decisive argument for them to allow the appeal to go ahead? Or are the banks being allowed to submit their argument to be granted an appeal? (Yes I know, I confuse myself too)

What I am trying to say is: is the submission coming up a plea to be allowed to proceed with the appeal in the HOL, at the end of which the HOL would say: "yes, you make a valid point, we'll hear it" or "no, you have no new grounds, stop wasting everyone's time" or is it the actual appeal against the appeals court?

Does anyone understand what I am asking here? :-|

Bookworm - yes, I completely understand what you're saying but I have no idea what the answer is, sorry!

If it is that they have new evidence etc then it'll very interesting to see what that is. As far as I am aware, the only new evidence that could be really significant would be the banks detailing how they calculate these charges in the first place but is that really going to happen?