• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The papers email us almost weekly for cases like the one you have mentioned - each week we put people in touch with them.

They only publish articles about it when there is no news and very rarely give it a decent position in the paper - the Guardian were the exception to this rule.

We used to be able to do just as you suggested, and indeed did so, but now as far as they are concerned the bank charges issue is old news. It may not seem like that to us on here, but the papers barely give it lip service these days.

Josh - the HSBC have tied you into a contract saying that you cannot move bank accounts? That sounds like a breach of the UTCCRs to me.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alan from Derby had a whole list of hardship cases that we collected that had asked to be dealt with outside the court system - what happened to them?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

It does not cost much money to call the say for example mail and say " we have a hardship case that has had their case refused despite the terms of the waiver - they have given us permission to give you the details"

have you ever asked the FSA how many hardship cases the banks have identified and have had help since the waiver?

My mum had 2 small claims (sent off in the same envelope) that went down the hardship route with Halifax. They accepted the one for £15 and turned down the one for £100! Is that cynically trying to boost your figures or what?! I was stunned. :lol::lol::lol:

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Well why dont we produce letters - emails to send to every news desk in the country.

Spread the word on other forums.

An article in a National Newspaper outlining consumer groups intentions might be a start.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

I no dave but my english is crap and i only shout at these people when I get on the phone.

I asked them to shut my account down and they said not with an overdraft of a grand and a bit.

I'l start a different thread on this.

Yes I think they do think it is old news Dave. But if enough of us email them they wont.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

The Guilty:

Abbey National plc

Barclays Bank plc

Clydesdale Bank plc

HBOS plc

HSBC Bank plc

Lloyds TSB Bank plc

Nationwide Building Society.

Royal Bank of Scotland

Should you have an account with any of these, it would be strongly recommended that you visit your local branch tomorrow and request closure of your account. direct debits etc can be transferred to another bank that is not on the list, and most new banks will be more than happy to smooth this process for you.

I'll be visiting my HSBC branch tomorrow. I'll probably be looking at moving to Co-Op.

I would suggest you vote with your feet and do the same.

Alan from Derby had a whole list of hardship cases that we collected that had asked to be dealt with outside the court system - what happened to them?

Those are held in a database ready for when the press ask for them - they are regularly given to the press (with express permission of the case), yet as I say, as far as most of the press is concerned it's old news.

Most of the press requests we get now are from localised news - Radio Cornwall, The Weekly S****horpe Gazette etc...

It's only when something big happens that the 'big' press want info from us.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

The Guilty:

Abbey National plc

Barclays Bank plc

Clydesdale Bank plc

HBOS plc

HSBC Bank plc

Lloyds TSB Bank plc

Nationwide Building Society.

Royal Bank of Scotland

Should you have an account with any of these, it would be strongly recommended that you visit your local branch tomorrow and request closure of your account. direct debits etc can be transferred to another bank that is not on the list, and most new banks will be more than happy to smooth this process for you.

I'll be visiting my HSBC branch tomorrow. I'll probably be looking at moving to Co-Op.

I would suggest you vote with your feet and do the same.

I think this is an excellent idea. I can see very little wrong with it, however if others can, please let me know.

I'm about to start a facebook group calling for just this - it's very viral and should reach a very large audience in a very short space of time.

------------

------------

Is everyone in agreement that the Co-op is the best of a bad bunch?

------------

------------

It's only when something big happens that the 'big' press want info from us.

With the current economic climate and the very real threat of hard times ahead - these will once again become 'big' stories - patience everyone, this story has not run its course yet as far as the press are concerned. It will be back as a main news story as more and more suffer (regrettably) and we will enjoy once again the media coverage of 2006/2007. But keep plugging away even at a local level.

Edited by nicsussex
spilling

I would not say the best but they are ok I guess.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

The Co-Op seem a fair bunch. I haven't heard too many complaints regarding them, and they've been fair to my parents for a long number of years.

If you have you wages paid into any of the offending banks, cease it immediately and have your wages paid elsewhere. If everybody does this, next time payday comes, the banks will notice a large drop in revenue.

If they challenge you on overdrafts, hold your ground and put the account into dispute. You only need to claim for 1 pound of unfair charges (which'll cost you 25 quid with MCOL) and they can't request any of the overdraft back until the outcome of the case is determined.

Therefore your overdraft will be frozen, whilst you skip of to another bank with your wages.

Maybe we should publish a dummies guide to p***ing of the big 8???

If your going Co-op I would suggest a Cashminder account. I would open one of these for my clients without hesitation.

Indeed we will keep plugging at every level. There's been quite a lot of movement so far and there's no sign of the campaign letting up any time soon.

------------

------------

The Co-Op seem a fair bunch. I haven't heard too many complaints regarding them, and they've been fair to my parents for a long number of years.

If you have you wages paid into any of the offending banks, cease it immediately and have your wages paid elsewhere. If everybody does this, next time payday comes, the banks will notice a large drop in revenue.

If they challenge you on overdrafts, hold your ground and put the account into dispute. You only need to claim for 1 pound of unfair charges (which'll cost you 25 quid with MCOL) and they can't request any of the overdraft back until the outcome of the case is determined.

Therefore your overdraft will be frozen, whilst you skip of to another bank with your wages.

Maybe we should publish a dummies guide to p***ing of the big 8???

I like it. Are you volunteering?

It may not be for here, but we can certainly publish elsewhere.

------------

------------

Give me until Monday and I'll get it sorted.

had said I wasn't going to write no more poems like this

I had said I wasn't going to write no more words down about people kicking us when we're down, about racist dogs that attack us and drive us down, drag us down and beat us down but the dogs are in the street...

Excellent.

------------

------------

Dave whilst I applaud your efforts re boycotts & face-book I would mention that I doubt you'll be speaking to many of the like minded. Such a blog will almost certainly attract crass comment from those other members of FB presently unaffected by penalty charges.

Therefor may I make the following suggestion.

It is my experience that the best way to bring our disquiet with the situation to the attention of the establishment would be to organise a mass lobby of our MP's at Westminster.

I think this would achieve two things. Firstly it would place our cause again into the media spotlight and second it would allow us to express directly to our MP's (therefore the establishment) the feeling of discontent we feel for the way we are being treated.

It's my belief that when in the past such groups have organised themselves in this way they appear to have achieved more success than with any other form of organised protest

Edited by JonCris

Cashminder account @ the co-op

The Co-operative Bank | Cashminder

I agree, perhaps off topic though. The time has come for the gloves to come off with regards to petrol, but that's another story.
and dont forget us low earners nearly on the breadline through this government just hope they lose tomorrow.did you know you can air your views on no10 website.

That is true. I agree. But after starting this site nearly 3 years ago, I have learned one thing at least: that is, that for the most part MP's do not care.

My MP for instance has considerable shares in LTSB. Many other MP's also have shares in one of the big 4 (very easy to find out as they are in the register of interests).

Now many will say that it should not cloud their judgement. It shouldn't - that much is correct. But we are talking about people who have been lining their pockets with our money for years - this pittance is nothing to them, and they will not harm their self interests as has been seen many a time on the news - and that's only when they are caught out.

I do feel that there are a few MPs that got into that game for the right reason - and some still feel that way. Some.

There are 274 bank charge related groups on Facebook - with an average of 1100 members each. I admit that there will be a lot of cross-overs. But if there were not (and there is no way I can work that out without access to the facebook database), that would mean over 300,000 people who *may* be interested in changing bank accounts from the main offenders.

Of that we can reasonably expect maybe 2-10%. It's enough to send a message.

In the past, when I used to have have a bank account and I changed to another, I was asked why. They probably have a database of the reason why people change bank.

------------

------------

Cashminder account @ the co-op

The Co-operative Bank | Cashminder

When I first heard about this account, I was told there was no credit check, so should be no problem anyone going for it. (unsure if that position has moved!)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

When I first heard about this account, I was told there was no credit check, so should be no problem anyone going for it. (unsure if that position has moved!)
we have credit union in dorset i might switch to them.

That is still the same locutus.

That is why I recomend them to people with CCJ's and who are over £220,000 in debt.

If you have a problem opening an account with these people your doing something wrong.

• Haha 1