• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Should we not encourage a boycott (or a run) on the 8 banks that have appealed?

Would this not be sending the message home even harder that consumers are completely ****ed off with them?

It may even make them think twice if only the banks that are appealling have money withdrawn from them at a time when most are asking for shareholder money.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i can't wait for the sale of my house. once the money is in the bank. im going down there to setup savings accounts the lot. once they are ready to set it all up. im pulling all my money and moving it to premium bonds. £30k the rest im spending on a business. the banks will lose £45k in one day from me. all because they didn';t want to help me when i needed it.

so yes a run on the banks will be a good call. i say get it setup, how many of us on here. even if half of us done it. that would be enough to send shock waves.

im fedup of being conned by people in power that we intrust our money to.

the OFT need to sort there backyard out.

I don't think so, dave. Although the concept is good, a run on a clearing bank could devistate the economy. I DO think that once the declaration is handed down in July, if the financial ombudsman service continues to refuse to deal with complaints a judicial review is in order.

n.b. that might be hypocritical, because I barely use banks myself... haven't had a bank account for five years, or had any credit except a credit card with a limit of £700 for four years, only thing I use banks for is getting my money and then taking it out the next day.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Personally, I think the ecomony is devastated already.

A run on the 8 banks damaging the already damaged economy can only be a good thing.

It should force even a limp-wristed government like this one to wake up and regulate an industry of cowboys properly rather than letting them run renegade on the whole of society.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

...A run on the 8 banks damaging the already damaged economy can only be a good thing...
Some peeps pensions which they have scrimped + scraped ALL their working lives to acrue, would be devasted...:Cry:

If such action were to be advocated, perhaps it should be limited to one at a time, until the other Banks saw sense...;)

The threat to force the de-mutualisation of the Nationwide B.S. would be MY choice to start with...:)

...They have NO external shareholders to provide dividends for + so have NO excuse for their behaviour re: unlawful Penalty Charges...:mad:

A run on the 8 banks damaging the already damaged economy can only be a good thing.

It should force even a limp-wristed government like this one to wake up and regulate an industry of cowboys properly rather than letting them run renegade on the whole of society.

This site has done a lot of good work bringing the charges debate into the public domain - however the above comment is very inflamitory and in my view short-sited. If the banks do not fund say for example building of houses /shoppng centres/offices - there would be thousands out of work - from builders to architects etc etc

Then there would be even more pain in the economy than there is already.

the whole point of the argument about charges was regarding legalities and that is how the fight should continue.

Please look at the bigger picture

there are other campaigns I am sure the site can work on while the final decisions are being made

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Yes it does matter who's given credit

Budgie has put a great deal of time & effort into this & it's only right they be given credit. Anyone passing off someones else's endeavours, even inadvertently, as their own is open to criticism & charges of plagiarism

thanks for that as well - would have tipped your scales - but apparently I am not allowed to .

Hope the comment by MTM will not stop the posts!

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

You're entitled to your opinion, but despite the gloomy nature of the press, as a country we are currently almost as affluent as we've been at any point in our history... although it's precarious, and we are suffering compared to a few years ago...

I'm talking about the things that happen in countries were the s**t really hits the fan... like 1929, where people can't afford to feed themselves... like it is in zimbabwe, which shows you how quickly a prosperous nation can decline into abject poverty.

Bottom line is, what I think CAG has always stood for is making sure the consumer gets a fair deal... and we owe that to you... but we don't need to destroy the banks to do that. All we want is fair treatment. That means the banks should be allowed to make a reasonable profit, without forcing the poorest people in society into poverty.

• Haha 1

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

to MTM

Sounded like you said it does not matter who the posts came from about the case conference - but it does.

People have taken the time to attend and report and despite the way the other forum is critisised on here have given permission for them to be posted.

also if you dont agree with some of the comments /reporting you will know who to blame;)

bolshie

• Haha 1

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

instead of a run on the banks - how about concentrating on all the hardship cases that the banks should have "filtered through" rather than dealing with in court anyway?They are abusing the terms of the waiver and personally I think the FOS should be helping out more with this.

They are the ones most in need

there have been some successes in this area even recently -

The judge seemed to want to get pending cases dealt with ASAP - but his hands may be tied by the appeal - we have yet to see? dont forget another day tomorrow and more news in July

keep moving on other cases in the mean-time

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I'm talking about the things that happen in countries were the s**t really hits the fan... like 1929, where people can't afford to feed themselves...

It's almost like that now.

High bills, soaring food prices and extortionate petrol is definately hitting people in the pocket.

Then we get US consumers complaining about 'gas' being $4.00 a gallon (£2) and burgers being smaller than the size of a house!

...Sounded like you said it does not matter who the posts came from about the case conference - but it does.

Au contraire ma petite banniere rouge...;)

I was concerned NOT about the source (...a single small reference would have sufficed methinks), but about the time taken for the info to appear.

No doubt, the info appears in full on LB anyway...:rolleyes:

FWIW...I have no personal axe to grind with LB at all, there are many capable + knowledgeable peeps who regulary Post there, as well as on other websites.

...I am just wanting justice/help for ALL the 'little peeps'.

As CAG is a major first port of call for NEWBIES, it would make sense to help them learn to navigate this torrid sea that we are forced to sail.

Then once they have gained their 'sea legs'...what they do is up to them.

...:)

fine

lets draw a line under that one .

and see what happens tomorrow.

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

extortionate petrol is definately hitting people in the pocket

that could be controlled at the drop of a hat it is speculators who are buying vast quantities uknown faces it is a possibility opec and goverments might halt the speculation but they know india and china have a large hand in all this as well and everyone is afraid to rock their boats ? this is my opinion and it counts for nothing but who cares lol

patrickq1

MTM, I agree, de-mutulisation would be a very good threat. How do you go about doing that?

Also, I'm only talking about boycotting the 8 banks that bought about the appeal.

There are hundreds of other banks that would welcome our business (well, yours, there is no way on earth I am ever having a bank account again), and THEY can be the ones to invest for a change.

I can't see having a boycott of the 8 main offenders having an effect on the economy.

------------

------------

This might be useful for the newbies.

Unfair Terms in Contracts With Consumers Quick Facts - BERR

It tells you want an unfair term is.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

extortionate petrol is definately hitting people in the pocket

that could be controlled at the drop of a hat it is speculators who are buying vast quantities uknown faces it is a possibility opec and goverments might halt the speculation but they know india and china have a large hand in all this as well and everyone is afraid to rock their boats ? this is my opinion and it counts for nothing but who cares lol

patrickq1

I agree, perhaps off topic though. The time has come for the gloves to come off with regards to petrol, but that's another story.

------------

------------

I agree:p

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

MTM, I agree, de-mutulisation would be a very good threat. How do you go about doing that?

Also, I'm only talking about boycotting the 8 banks that bought about the appeal.

There are hundreds of other banks that would welcome our business (well, yours, there is no way on earth I am ever having a bank account again), and THEY can be the ones to invest for a change.

I can't see having a boycott of the 8 main offenders having an effect on the economy.

I agree!

I am off !

thought the fight would continue - but in ways that might be effective - not this

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

The fight continues on many fronts

Well, I suppose we could all sit about and talk about it - do nothing and leave it up to the OFT, FSA or whoever, whilst simultaneously having our hands tied behinds our back with regards to taking action through the courts - it might only take about 3-4 years that way after all.

That's not a problem though - people at the bottom of society's pile being stuffed some more for a few more years won't hurt.

Do you remember how hard it was having 40-60% of your wages taken off you each month in charges?

I do. I didn't like it much. I don't suppose anyone does.

But now, with a stay in place on any recourse to get it stopped, and let's face it, they're not really playing fair anymore, we're to sit back and let them lend irresponsibly, take money that doesn't belong to them and do 'credit checks' on people when no credit is applied for.

Personally, and this is not the opinion of CAG, just my opinion: The gloves have come off - at a time when the banking industry's image is at rock bottom they go and pull a stunt like this, knowing full well that an appeal will take years, and knowing full well who is paying the charges, just so collectively they can fleece those who can least afford it another 4-6 billion.

No, if the powers that be won't do the job they are supposed to and protect us from this sort of behaviour, then we have to do something about it.

Talk is cheap.

------------

------------

Board Members are elected by Members of the Building Society.

Anyone who has an account with the Nationwide is entitled to cast their vote for whoever is standing for election.

(...apparently it's called Democracy??...:rolleyes:)

However...

To deter 'Carpetbaggers' + prevent what has happened with other 'get-rich-quick' building society de-mutualisations, ALL NEW account holders, as a condition of acceptance, have to sign away any right that they personally may have to any proceeds from a de-mutualisation, the monies instead going to a Charity that Nationwide has set up.

This has previously negated ANY candidates, to MY knowledge, standing for a position on the Board on a de-mutualisation ticket.

The following Thread gives a more accurate viewpoint of Nationwide's current attitude to those Members who may have temporarily fell on hard times...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgages-secured-loans/145565-nationwide-tightens-its-lending.html

...:(

"Talk is cheap."

that depends on whats being said and who says it.

Freedom of speech is something we should cherish a lot of countries dont have it .

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE