Befnal v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was following this story in the media for some while now, but not having incurred any charges for some time I never actually got around to doing anything myself. That was, however, until last month, when I exceeded my overdraft by £7 for less than 24 hours and was charged £30. What made it worse is the fact that all my banking is paper-free and done on line, so the notification was merely in the guise of an email, hardly worthy of a £30 charge!

I sent a preliminary request for repayment to my branch and also a request for charge details over the past 6 years under the Data Protection Act, not forgetting my statutory £10 cheque, (which came out of my account the next day!). Just 3 days after sending my initial letter I received an offer of £60 from the bank in 'full and final settlement' of my complaint. I politely declined this offer, citing the fact that my account had probably had more than 2 charges levied against it in 6 years.

Yesterday I received details of my account, in total 31 different letters, cue 1 very unhappy postie! I suppose that's what happens when you let systems take the place of commomn sense.

Anyway, after going through the paperwork I found my charges for this period amounted to £785, most of it from a 2 year period during which I was twice made redundant. I am just about to post my 'Letter Before Action' along with the schedule of payments and will let you know how I get on.

I had already decided to change banks regardless of the outcome, but this is no easy task anymore. I have been turned down by Lloyds and NatWest, whereas Alliance & Leicester have offered me a Visa Electron card, but not really what I was after. Having held a Barclaycard in good order for some time I am now about to embark on applying with them for a current account, but any advice on how best to tackle this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers

Halifax

- Subject Access Request 19th June

- Statements Recieved (17 envelopes!)

- Preliminary Approach for £785 25th June

- Offer of £60!

- Declined offer and LBA sent 6th July

No response from Halifax

- Money Claim case filed 18th August

- Papers Served 23rd August

- Acknowledged 28th August

- Paid in Full ! 30th August

it can be awkward opening a new account, lloyds also said i could only have their very basic account - not even with a visa electron, literally just a cash withdrawal card and nothing else!

but i got one with alliance & leicester with no problem, hardly asked any questions at all. obviously i dont know about ur past finances but i guess if u have had anything that would flag up during a credit test then most banks may be reluctant to take you on with an account with credit cards etc.

good luck with your claim though, fingers crossed!! :D