• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FSA position on account closures and default charges

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A&L is not the only bank to close accounts as a retaliation for challenging their charges. It's not new.

Banks will do this using the discretion which they retain under the banking contract to close your account at any time.

Where an account has been conducted badly to a point where it can said that that it causes the bank so many problems that the purpose of the contract has been significantly disrupted or even destroyed by the cusotmer's behaviour then it might reasonably be said that the closure of the account is a reasonable step.

Where the closure of the account is triggered as a repsonse to a challenge to the banks charges and those charges are unlawful then it would be reasonable to argue that the bank's use of its discretion is abusive.

Of course where there has been a pattern of account "misconduct" as well as a challenge to the bank's charges, it will be difficult to disentangle the two. The bank quite naturally will want to say that the account closure is not retaliatory but is justified by the other behaviour of the customer.

If your account is closed by the bank and there is either no overdraft or you are able to repay any outstandings within a very short time then there should be no impact on your credit record.

However, where there is an amount owing and the sum cannot be repaid within a certain agreed timescale then the bank will very likely enter a default and this will have consequences for at least a 6 year period.

What can you do about retaliatory account closure?

If you feel that you are able to demonstrate convincingly that the account closure was triggered in response to your challenge to the bank's unlawful charges then you could consider asking the court for an injunction to prevent the closure.

You can do this either on its own or at the same time as making a County Court claim for the return of your money.

You should probably only try this if:-

• your acccount has generally been well conducted.

• Your account has previously been poorly conducted but has shown a clear pattern of improvement within the last 3-6 months up to the present day

• You can show that it is the application of unlawful charges which has given the impression that your account has not been correctly conducted.

You should probably only apply for an injunction if the account has not yet been closed.

Whatever you decide to do, you should write a letter of complaint to the OFT. Complain that the bank's application of its discretion as a retaliatory measure in repsonse to charges which the OFT itself has said are unfair under UTCCR is itself unfair under those regulations.

Retaliatory closure of bank accounts mock the OFT and its report.

There is no particular reason why an application for an injunction in these circumstances should not be a matter for the Small Claims Track. However, at the end of the day it will be a matter for the judge who is managing the case.

The issues are broadly the same as those for the recovery of your money. For this reason, the bank will be faced with the same risk of losing and/or of having to reveal the true information about its charging regime.

However, at the end of the day, it is your case and your call - as it is with your claim to recover your money.

Do not decide to apply for an injunction without fully understanding the significance of what you are doing. You could end up in court and of course, you could lose your case.

This is exactly the same consideration as a claim to recover your money

• Confused 1

We are in that the process of producing a new FAQ to inform people about injunctions and interim injunctions in relation to the problem of retaliatory account closure.

We hope also to prepare some templates for those who wish to prevent the closure of their accounts.

We are quite sure that the obtaining of an injunction in these circumstances especially in the case of Alliance and Leicester customers and also Nationwide will be fairly straightforward.

The recent announcements by these banks that they will respond to claims by closing accounts is extremely helpful to us.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest that anyone protesting against account closure should enclose a copy of this to their bank with any other material.

I suggest that it is sent on a separate attached page and that the bank's attention is specifically drawn to it.

Briefing Note BN 023/06

4 July 2006

FSA position on account closures and default charges

Generally, under FSA rules on dispute resolution and complaints, we would not expect any regulated firm to discriminate against a customer who makes a complaint.

However the relationship between a bank and its account holders, including the circumstances and manner in which accounts are closed, is governed by the Banking Code.

We have therefore raised this issue with the Banking Code Standards Board, and informed those firms involved that we have done so. As a result of those conversations, we understand that the Banking Code Standards Board intends to state its position on this issue presently. We encourage the industry to use this opportunity to demonstrate the value of the Code in ensuring fair and reasonable outcomes to such disputes.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I trawled through the FSA website and picked up this link related to this post.

Could be relevant......... take your pick, have a read and sorry in advance if it's not. :wink:

FSA sets deadline for firms falling behind with 'treating customers fairly'

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Ooo ooo, just come across another juicy one. Read/click the link for the FSA website and especially read the last section. Then read the previous post (by me) and then this one in full.

If your confidence doesn't soar I'll be surprised! :D :o

Towards fair outcomes for consumers

Would need BankFodders opinion on this one, when back from Hols obviously! 8¬)

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Hi All,

Hope I havent mucked up the thread, as I'm new to this...I put in a Injunction Application against the closure of my account on 27/07/2006, will keepyou guys posted on developments..

Any advise would be welcome

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any news on your application?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

If you have applied for an injunction in respect of an account which has already been closed then I would rate your chances of success as nil.

Injunctions must almost always be sought in order to pre-empt an action.

However, I would like very much to know more about how you made the application, which form, what wording etc and how much.

A scan of the application would be very helpful

Ooo ooo, just come across another juicy one. Read/click the link for the FSA website and especially read the last section. Then read the previous post (by me) and then this one in full.

If your confidence doesn't soar I'll be surprised! :D :o

Towards fair outcomes for consumers

Would need BankFodders opinion on this one, when back from Hols obviously! 8¬)

I have scanned through some of it. It is obviously good stuff but it is open enough for the banks still to say that they are treating customers fairly and reasonably and that their charges are transparent - in other words no change.

Of course the FSA says that they may take action against firms which do not implement correctly but this of course will be preceeded by years of complicated negotiations - all in secret, of course leading to the equivalent of the OFT report - excellent in principle, but sufficiently ambiguous as to lead to no serious change and no apparent will by the publishing body to bare its fangs.

I am very much afraid that the campaign of a thousand cuts has to go on.

I'm not about to go through the whole thing closely, I'm afraid.

Can you quote me the particular part which you think is of interest.

• You can show that it is the application of unlawful charges which has given the impression that your account has not been correctly conducted.

If the amount claimed amounts to more than the overdraft limit, could it be argued that the account would have operated quite normally and within the agreement if those unfair charges not been applied?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

perhaps this 27th july 2006 banking code bulletin could have some use from our end user perspective?.

http://www.bankingcode.org.uk/bulletins/Bulletin%2021%2027%20Jul%2006%20PDF%20FINAL.pdf

notice how they refer to "some website based groups" LOL.

i also mentioned it on the Default hell!! thread

were dayglo made copy of it incase it got removed and makes it easyer to follow etc, perhaps someone can hand type it at some point so we can cut and past (page2 and 3)sections if its deemed useful ?.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/20118-default-hell-11.html#post202392

Yeah! another chocolate teapot "self regulator" run by the banks for the banks.

Why didn't THEY investigate their members & advise THEM their penalty charges are illegal.

Loved the bit about "cos the OFT are calling them "penalty" charges so will we"

What else are they going to call them "fair & reasonable" I suppose

I received my account closure letter yesterday from the A&L stating that the account is being closed on 26-Sep because I disagree with "certain" of the T&Cs.

Whilst I would almost be glad to see the back of them, there is a principle at stake here and I intend to defend this as far as practically possible.

In the abscence of an FAQ, I am intending to file an N1 at the County Court tomorrow with the following wording as to the particulars of claim; (with big props to Paul Wilton's wording in the Stays thread)

Further to an application to the court for judgment on unlawful charges levied from an account held with the defendants organisation (claim AFnnnnn dated dd-mm-yy), settlement has been reached and full repayment of charges received without acceptance of liability.

On the 21-Aug-2006, the defendant notified in writing that as the unlawful elements of their terms and conditions were unacceptable, they were closing the account with effect from 26-Sep-2006 and accordingly were withdrawing the credit facility on the account from the same date.

The defendants decision to close the account is clearly a punitive punishment in direct response to the complaint and subsequent application to the court and appears to contradict the banking code of practice, the Financial Services Authority judgments and the common law.

I respectfully request that the court issues the following injunctions:

• That the defendant is prevented from closing my account.

• That the defendant is prevented from withdrawing the existing credit facility.

• That the defendant is prevented from applying further penalty charges to the account.

• That the defendant is prevented from making any entry on its own systems or from communicating any similar information to any third party about any matter insofar as it relates to either the penalty charges or account closure.

• That the defendant remove any derogatory entry on its own records insofar as it relates to either penalty charges or account closure.

• That should my claim proceed to a hearing that a decision should be made at the hearing as to whether these injunctions should be made permanent.

• That if the matter should not proceed to a hearing because the defendant decides to settle outside court, that these injunctions should become permanent.

Thank you for taking the time to consider the above requests and I look forward to hearing from the Court in due course.

I understand that this falls under the "claim is for something other than money", so the court fees are £150. Anybody got any experience of this?

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

might have trouble with the third one?

To be honest, I'm less and less sure about nearly all of them. In fact, the more I look at them, the more I'm thinking K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) and dropping the whole lot apart from #1.

?

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

I received my account closure letter yesterday from the A&L stating that the account is being closed on 26-Sep because I disagree with "certain" of the T&Cs.

Whilst I would almost be glad to see the back of them, there is a principle at stake here and I intend to defend this as far as practically possible.

In the abscence of an FAQ, I am intending to file an N1 at the County Court tomorrow with the following wording as to the particulars of claim; (with big props to Paul Wilton's wording in the Stays thread)

Further to an application to the court for judgment on unlawful charges levied from an account held with the defendants organisation (claim AFnnnnn dated dd-mm-yy), settlement has been reached and full repayment of charges received without acceptance of liability.

On the 21-Aug-2006, the defendant notified in writing that as the unlawful elements of their terms and conditions were unacceptable, they were closing the account with effect from 26-Sep-2006 and accordingly were withdrawing the credit facility on the account from the same date.

The defendants decision to close the account is clearly a punitive punishment in direct response to the complaint and subsequent application to the court and appears to contradict the banking code of practice, the Financial Services Authority judgments and the common law.

I respectfully request that the court issues the following injunctions:

• That the defendant is prevented from closing my account.

• That the defendant is prevented from withdrawing the existing credit facility.

• That the defendant is prevented from applying further penalty charges to the account.

• That the defendant is prevented from making any entry on its own systems or from communicating any similar information to any third party about any matter insofar as it relates to either the penalty charges or account closure.

• That the defendant remove any derogatory entry on its own records insofar as it relates to either penalty charges or account closure.

• That should my claim proceed to a hearing that a decision should be made at the hearing as to whether these injunctions should be made permanent.

• That if the matter should not proceed to a hearing because the defendant decides to settle outside court, that these injunctions should become permanent.

Thank you for taking the time to consider the above requests and I look forward to hearing from the Court in due course.

I understand that this falls under the "claim is for something other than money", so the court fees are £150. Anybody got any experience of this?

You need to show that the closing of your account WILL cause you problems & even hardship. Not being able to pay bills. DD will be missed Payment odf salary etc: causing further problems. Also when the bank pass the information on that you are disputing their charges you will find it impossible to open another siutable bank account. Furthermore you believe the bank are obviously closing your account in order that they can terminate any agreement before resinding your borrowing on demand which they are aware you can't meet in full.

You also believe that the banks unlawful conduct will affect your Human Rights in that you will be unable to have a fair trial (At this point don't start quoting the HRA verbitum)

might have trouble with the third one? (preventing charges)

It's not the charge itself thats unlawful, it's the level of them.

The charges themselves are unlawful. It is unlawful to include a penalty clause in a contract and the UFCTA 1977 says that a person acting as a comsumer cannot be made to indemnify another.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

The charges themselves are unlawful. It is unlawful to include a penalty clause in a contract and the UFCTA 1977 says that a person acting as a comsumer cannot be made to indemnify another.

P.

If you cost them extra, for instance they have to write a letter, there is a very small cost would be quite acceptable if it was not blown up out of all proportion. It might be 30p including postage? We don't know for sure.

To cover costs is entirely lawfull, blowing them out of all proportion to make large profits to the detriment of those least able to afford them..... that's unlawfull.

"A fair default charge should not exceed a reasonable estimate of certain limited administrative costs which the credit card issuer reasonably expects to incur as a result of default"

of course this is the oft ruling on cards, but the same principle applies to any account...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/1-frequently-asked-questions.html

To cover costs is entirely lawfull, blowing them out of all proportion to make large profits to the detriment of those least able to afford them..... that's unlawfull.

"A fair default charge should not exceed a reasonable estimate of certain limited administrative costs which the credit card issuer reasonably expects to incur as a result of default"

of course this is the oft ruling on cards, but the same principle applies to any account...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/1-frequently-asked-questions.html

The charge dosen't become lawful simply because they are coverng their costs. That quote from the OFT related to the charge being "fair". Fair and lawful are not necessarily the same.

Sure, a charge that only covered genuine costs may not be seen as a penalty by a Court but that is not guaranteed. Also, the UFCTA 1977 says that a clause in a contract that requires a person dealing as a consumer to indemnify another against negligence is void. Such a clause may be enforcable but is subject to a test of reasonableness but it's the clause that the test is applied to, not the actual charge it' self and it's for the person seeking to rely on the clause who has to show that it's reasonable. At present, I don't think that the banks can do that because if they could they already would have done.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

i think a point worth making is that the banks are relying on the T&C to enforce the imposition of penalty chagres.

As i read them, most T&Cs dont claim to provide you with a service when you go overdrawn. As far as i can make out they impose a standard charge for dealing with these issues.

If they wish to recover their costs then it has to be within the T&C up front i believe.

In other words if the T&C says we will charge for the administration of your account on the basis of a cost per letter or an annual admin fee, this is entirely different to the reasoning banks and cc companies are applying to their charges now.

In other words regardless of what the acutal costs are they are imposed in the form of a penlaty and not as a genuine service charges. it is the way they are applied that is unlawful and even if the cost was applied as fractions of a penny that wouldnt change ie that its unlawful to try to make a consumer indemnify someone else by way of a contract T&C with a company.

If its applied on the basis of a service charge and not as a penalty, then the charge has to reflect a reasonable charge on the basis of, urm, minds gone blank and cant remember which bit of legislation it is now, but im sure you get the drift.

At least thats how i see it.

Be happy to be shot down in flames if i have misunderstood the situation.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

If your account is closed by the bank and there is either no overdraft or you are able to repay any outstandings within a very short time then there should be no impact on your credit record.

However, where there is an amount owing and the sum cannot be repaid within a certain agreed timescale then the bank will very likely enter a default and this will have consequences for at least a 6 year period.

I think that I could pay all overdraft/outstandings on my account, but not my loan. Would I be right in thinking that the loan would not be subject to this repayment? As my loan repayments/repayment period has already been agreed? If so, I am thinking of closing my account before I claim, and just leave the loan.