• Tweets

• Hi Andy Yes, its a question of what the court will enforce. the section 98 and 76 terminations are none default terminations. It is unlikely a court would give the creditor a judgement if they did not offer some kind of arrangement in the first instance. They did permit the overdraft.   You are right in saying it is not as cut and dried as in say a running account agreement where there was an agreed repayment schedule on the terminated agreement.    
    • One little thought that may help alleviate that pressure. Remember that, after you've filed your Tax Return, you have 12 months (to 31 Jan 2022) to re-open/amend it, claim any more expenses overlooked - or fix any other errors - and re-submit the corrected Return online. So long as your re-submission does NOT trigger additional tax/N.I. bills then the re-submission itself won't cause any fines or penalties. Get the Return filed as accurately as you can, and pay whatever tax/N.I. is due, by the end of this month THEN, if necessary, reopen the Return to amend/re-submit asap after that. Good luck with it all.
    • This could well be a Letter Before Action.  Please redact your personal details and then upload it.
    • Thank you for your very quick response.    I am asking for (almost) a full refund, in that I am asking for monies paid to him ( I paid over this due to directly paying for certain materials eg steel beams, planning applications, engineering calcs and drawings etc)  however, I anticipate that I won't get the full refund and am realistic about this.  I just did not want to ask for the amount to rectify and then him bring it down so that I am having to pay a lot of that too. Ideally he will cover the cost of rectification, plus consequential losses plus some to cover inconvenience.   I have had 3 independent quotes for the rectification of the works, coming in at £22-26, 000 including VAT.   The main issue is the roof in the loft, the windows and patio door replacement and the ensuite shower room needing taken out and replaced due to lack of water tight-ness and drainage issues.   I anticipate that the whole roof will need replacing and possibly some of the wooden structure of the dormer due to water ingress. all the decorating will need redoing which isn't included in the costs and I will also likely need temporary accommodation.      I have not got the kind of money to fix this, all the money I had was spent on this works. I am not covered by my insurance as they say this is a consumer issue, they also aren't permitting me to use my legal cover, which I am pursuing with the financial  Ombudsman service.     I don't believe a loan to be an option for me as I will be seeking one for IVF.   From speaking to him whilst he was doing the job, he does have money- kids in private school, nice house, flats they rent out, decent cars etc but whether the assets are in his name I do not know, how would I find this out?   Do you know what the type of inspection would be or who I would approach to do such an inspection?    
    • Hi DK, i put in my defence that I wish to show a video entering the car park and pictures to show the T & C.  They are there but it would be dangerous to stop the car and read these as they are at the entrance to the car park you cannot safely walk down to them to read    There are no signs where the driver parked. And no T & C at the pay stations.  I believe no contract can be enforced because you cant read the T & C .  
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

don't borrow from them

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5311 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I bought a TVand DVD player about 4 years ago on credit from powerhouse.

The credit company was First National I duly paid my £27 per month for most of the time but changed my bank account and they tried to take it from the first one and when it bounced the kindly charged me £20 per letter.:evil:

They now say i owe them £295 in charges

My question is should I pay them then claim them back or not pay them and explain that i feel they are excessive etc....:?

Hi Caroline, I'm not an expert, but from personal experience, it's always better to keep the money in your pocket than to try and reclaim it from someone.

From reading through the various threads on this forum, and from the various actions that I am taking as a result, I would personally send them the standard DPA letter. Once you have the list of charges that they have applied, you can then challenge them to deduct these from your account following the standard processes.

Best of luck....