• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks all.

I will be contacting both Clydesdale and the Court first thing tomorrow rejecting the offer. I want my interest and costs. If they offer to pay these as well then I'll accept on the understanding that I will be pursuing the rest of the charges (c £3410) through as many small claims as it takes.

I've got plenty of time. After all this has been going on since April what's another couple of months.

Will keep you posted

Mel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about the best laid schemes!! Phoned the Court on Monday to ask what to do about my offer only to find out it was a local holiday.

Intended to fax/phone the Clydesdale to reject settlement offer but on examining their letter could find no contact details except address. Tried to phone but every Clydesdale bank has the same phone number. A call centre surprise, surprise!! Managed to find my branch number only to be diverted through to - yes youv'e guessed the call centre. They were as usual a big help. After explaining that it was legal services at St Vincent Place that I wanted to contact they couldn't help. So much for letting them have a reply by Monday.

Off to Court this morning and spoke to Duncan (my new best friend at Court) explained that I had received an offer but I was not accepting. He said to let the sheriff know.

Sheriff arrived in court at 10.10 a.m. and I was back out on the street by 10.20. I was first up. He didn't seem that interested in the fact that I had been offered a settlement. Clydesdale's solicitor - yes they had one there - was asked to eloborate on the written defence that had been submitted. I could here snatches of what the sheriff said "breached contract" "agreed to accept charges when the account was opened " etc. Poor solicitor said he was unable at this time to add anything else. So the nice Sheriff has given me another date to attend - 1st December. No doubt the bank will use the time wisely to think up more delaying tactics.

Anybody got any ideas how I should proceed?

All suggestions welcome.

Mel

I suggest you just let the court do its stuff, unless of course a full offer is received.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

If the Clydesdale settle before the proof hearing on 1st December will it be for

a) my first claim of £750 plus interest and exp or

b) for the full amount of approx. £3K. plus interest plus exp

If it is a) do I then go ahead with the whole process again for the next £750 (or £1500 summary cause which I am thinking of doing)?

Anybody know?

Mel

a) and yes. ;)

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Is there a Small Claims "court bundle" available anywhere for a proof hearing (1st Dec)? I understand I have got to have this to the court 14 days before.

Do I get a copy of the Bank's evidence first (nothing so far) so that I can respond?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mel5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mel5

I was just wondering how you got on with your Hearing - any update?

SR7133

Royal Bank of Scotland - Settled - Full Amount

GE Money - Settled - Full Amount

Tesco Personal Finance - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Pre June 2005 Charges - Settled - Full Amount

Thanks SR

Thought I would let everybody get over the London expedition first.

Received a cheque for the full amount by recorded delivery on Thursday 30th. Wasn’t sure whether I needed to go to court on Friday 1st or not but decided to go. Just as well as Clydesdale was represented and informed the sheriff that I had in fact received a cheque in settlement as an ex gratia payment and in no way did the bank admit liability.

Sheriff asked me to confirm this and I said yes but that I wanted a continuance until the cheque cleared. He was a bit surprised by this request but granted another hearing for the 19th December.

The cheque has now cleared and I have advised the court accordingly. So it’s on with the next one. Hope it doesn’t take as long as the first (14th April to 4th December).

Mel5

There will be turkey on the table after all!!!!!!

going through a very similar claim as yourself, my second court date is 22/12 but have been offered settlement of full first claim amount (though 2 weeks and still no cheque, being processed allegedly).

Anyway what I would like to ask you are you going through the full process again for a second claim with the same account or can you just skip some steps:|

Thanks George

To clarify

It was my first claim of £750 to be settled (unfortunately) so the next one is for the same account with Clydesdale.

Poppy

I confirmed it with Robert that if your LBA was for the full amount of your claim (say £3K) you can skip steps 1-3 and go straight to lodging another small claim for £750.

Hope this clarifies - it's a bit early in the morning for me.

Mel5

Congratulations Mel. Shame you have to go through it again, but at least it's going the right way and you know what to expect now.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Congratulations Mel.

Yorkshire Bank Plc £3553.77 Prelim letter sent 14/9/06 LBA sent 22/9/06, MCOL Sent 10/10/06 MCOL Notice of Issue Rcvd 12/10/06, MCOL Acknowledged 17/10/06, £929.00 Offer Rcvd, 03/11/06 - Rejected, 09/11/06 YB Defended, 10/11/06 Transferred to Local Court, AQ Returned;) 30/11/06 Copy of Banks AQ Received, 1 month extra asked for by Clydesdale, 09/01/07 £2140.00 Offer Rcvd, 09/01/07 - Rejected, 11/11/07 Allocation To Small Claims Track, Court Date Set - 05/03/07, 15/01/07 £2590.00 Offer Rcvd, 15/11/07 - Rejected, 07/02/07 £3773.77 Offer Rcvd (FULL), 12/02/07 - Accepted, 21/02/07 - Chq Received for FULL AMOUNT. :)

Well done Mel - I was watching your thread with interest and that is a great result. Nice for Christmas time!

Royal Bank of Scotland - Settled - Full Amount

GE Money - Settled - Full Amount

Tesco Personal Finance - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Pre June 2005 Charges - Settled - Full Amount

Hi Mel two quick questions for you.

1/ Did your settlement include costs.

2/ Are you now saying you will go straight to filing claim no 2 at court, this is position im at, 1st claim took 6 months, so hopefully the rest will be a lot quicker now eh.

Reason im asking was because i was thinking what their reply would be now to a prelim or an LBA for the remainder when you point out they settled the first claim?----------- probably same speel right enough,lol.

Hi George

1. Yes it included the £39 for raising the action plus 8% interest daily for the period that the small claim was served until the date of payment.

2. If when you sent in your request for payment and LBA it was for the full amount of your claim (not just £750 limit of small claim) then you skip these steps and go straight for your 2nd claim of £750.

Mine has already gone and am waiting for a court date. But as the courts are getting flooded with claims I don't expect it to be very soon.

I don't know if now that they have paid one (but not admitting liability of course) the second one might not go the full distance like the first. But this could be just wishful thinking.

At least it won't be so scary. We'll know what to expect.

Mel

I am due to go to court tomorrow morning, 12th December, for preliminary hearing as Clydesdale have said they intend to appear and have made me no offers. Claim is for £951.98 plus £483.86 interest (Scottish Summary Cause Summons, i.e. maximum of £1500.00). This is my first of four or five claims.

Will let you know what happens.

Harry Turnbull

• 1 month later...

Hello All

Haven’t been on-line for a while as I was waiting for 27th Jan hearing on small claim No 2 vs Clydesdale Bank.

Thought it would be same as last time as they had offered a settlement but as it didn’t include interest or expenses I turned it down. So a 2 minute appearance with a date set for proof hearing was on the cards.

But that wasn’t the case. I knew that they had registered a defence but again expected it to be same as last time that the charges the bank was making were fair blah de blah. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard what the solicitor had to say. There was nothing about charges at all. Her defence was that my claim should be thrown out as it was “incompetent” for the following reasons:

1. because I had known at the outset that the amount I would be claiming was approx £3k I should have claimed the whole lot in one go.

2. I was therefore abusing the small claim system and as one claim had already been made for £750 and settled this 2nd claim should be dismissed on the grounds of incompetency. She produced 3 different cases to support her argument. None of which were against bank charges.

The sheriff said he would have to read them and asked me to wait in court.

I was there for 2 hours while he dealt with umpteen other cases during which he attempted to read the evidence not very successfully in snatches between cases. He then suggested a recess of half an hour.

When he returned he told the solicitor that the cases she had submitted were different from mine in that the claims made in each case were for one incident at one specific time and as such he agreed that the small claims system should not have been used. But he added that although this second claim of mine was almost identical to the first in that I was claiming the same sort of amounts viz for returned dds etc these had been incurred not as one charge but as a succession of charges and as such he thought that the small claims system could be used.

However he was going to continue the case for a month to allow each side to investigate the matter further and that as I had not been aware of the defence I could consult a lawyer if I so wished.

Please let me know if the Clydesdale or any other bank has used this argument against anyone else and if so what was the outcome?

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a private message stating that Clydesdale used the same argument in an Edinburgh court and that the Sheriff agreed to throwing out the case as "incompetent".

If this happens to me when I return to court on 27th March does that mean that it is all over and that I can't put in another claim. Is the Clydesdale going to get away with only paying out £750 of a claim of over £3k?

What argument can I use against the sheriff if he proposes that my 2nd claim should be thrown out?

Help, please

Mel

We're considering this, and think that the Sheriff may have been wrong.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update:

Was at court on Tuesday 27th for 2nd prelim hearing. Did not go well. It was a different sheriff and she was unwilling to make a decision so late in the debate and said that it should have been heard again by the original sheriff.

She asked if I was unable to argue against the point of law that CB's solicitor had put forward. I had to say that I wasn't as I had not received a copy of the defence.

To cut a long story short she has continued the case until the 13th March when the original sheriff will be available. But she did impress on me that I had better come prepared with arguments and recommended that I get a copy of Stair's Encyclopaedia (I can hardly spell the word far less be able to understand the legal jargon in it) from the library and make an appointment with a solicitor.

I managed to get a copy of CB's defence - all 13 pages of it. I am unable to put it on line but here are the cases quoted:

Stevenson v Pontifex and Wood (1887) 15 R125 (pages 125-127 of Cases decided inthe Court of Session etc) & para 77 of Vol 13 Judicial and Other Remedies)

Aberdeen Development Co v Mackie Ramsay and Taylor (pages 177-182 of Reports-1977, Scots Law Times)

The Duke of Abercorn v Merry & Cunningame Limited (pages 319-321 of Reports-1909, Scots Law Times.

I would be very grateful if anyone out there can give me advice.

Thanks

Mel5

I think that rather like the defence Bigmac got today Mel (George). At least you have a bit of time to read it. He was handed it in court and that was it. Not good for you to read, but important.

Clydesdale are certainly stepping things up.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/19737-george-mcm-clydesdale-bank-7.html