• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bank Fodder suggested I post this in Scottish Forum

Hi

Although this is my first post I have been following your instructions and have at long last got my bank statements from the Clydesdale at the end of last week. This is the diary of my actions:

18/04/06 My first letter was sent to my branch

19/04/06 Got a phone call back saying that I wasn't entitled to this information under the DP act and they were returning my £10 PO. I asked for this info to be given to me in letter form.

04/05/06 received a response from Fiona @ Network Support (I felt Fiona was an old friend from reading your posts) with statements from July 2005 & saying the usual - it would cost £5 per statement for the rest.

16/05/06 sent off the 2nd library letter giving them 7 days to produce the rest of the information or I would take them to court.

18/05/06 received letter from Anne Findlay of Network Support with the following:

"The information you requested falls outside the scope of the DP Act as our records prior to July 2005 are only accessible via a combination of electronic and manual means. The latter is not referenced by criteria relating to individuals, but rather branches of the Clydesdale Bank. We therefore consider that this does not constitute a relevant filing system, as defined in Section 1 (1) of the Act and that this information is outside it's scope.

We hope that this satisfactorily clarifies our reasoning in this matter. If you require any further assistance please contact your branch."

30/05/06 My Reply

I am in receipt of your letter dated 18 May 2005 and find the contents totally unacceptable.

I have friends and colleagues who have accounts with the Yorkshire Bank and they have received this information back to 2000 for the fee of £10. As Yorkshire and Clydesdale both belong to the National Australia Bank it appears that the customers of the Clydedale Bank are being descriminated against.

Furthermore as Microfiche does not fall under the Data Protection Act if you do not comply with my request as outlined in my letter of 18 April 2006 within 7 days I will be referring the case to the Information Commissioner and taking legal action for non compliance of the Data Protection Act.

06/06/06 Response from dear old Fiona to the effect that since their letter of 4th May the Bank had amended its systems to provide this info to customers. (Surprise, surprise) and confirming that copies of my bank statements would be following.

28/06/06 Statements arrived.

I have filled in spread sheet and going back 5 years (Scotland) it amounts to just under £4000 (including interest). This is as far as I've got. Will need to study next step.

It's been a struggle to get this far but it will be worth it. Clydesdale must be the worst bank ever to get info from.

I could not have done it without your help. Thanks.

Will keep you postefd.

Mel5

**** MOD - Thread Moved into correct Forum **** JM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mel,

Good luck - keep us posted

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Sent off my request for payment charges with spreadsheet (amounting to £3386.80 on 5th July. Traced the recorded delivery - signed for on the 6th. Just have to wait now till the 20th. Fingers crossed.

mel 5

Have just received statements from TSB Visa. Have a query? Can I include interest charges as well as late charges and admin fees. I have checked the FAQs but I can't see anything about it. But I could be having a senior moment. Can anyone help?

(I'm not sure I am asking in the right place?)

Interest Charges can be claimed, but it's a complicated process.

Vampires has created a spreadsheet to work this out (in the library).

You'd be best to open up a 2nd thread under the Lloyds TSB Section for this other claim though!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Re letter requesting payment of charges dated 6th July have received a letter from Brian Durrand, Customer Relations Officer in response. 2 pages of blah de blah how they have done nothing wrong etc.

Getting LBA letter for posting on Friday 21st (their 14 days will be up onf 20th)

Has anyone got this far with the Clydesdale?

mel5

It's all pretty standard stuff so far - don't worry too much about it.

Just stick to your timetable, and follow the steps on here & you'll be fine.

HI Mel,

You are so right about the clydesdale,i just recieved a letter today from them informing me that they have just recieved an instruction from my branch to collect 6 years of bank statements and have 40 days from recieving payment to do this,i sent my dpa request to them 26th june..:mad: :mad:

Good luck with your claim,will start my own thread for my claim shortly

Cheers

Stewart

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Sent off my LBA 21st July which was delivered on the 24th. I'm now studying small claims procedure to be ready for 7th August. Could someone confirm whether the £750 is inclding the 8% interest or is the interest over and above the £750.

Thanks

By the way has anyone had any dealings with Black Horse? Sent off DPA letter to Cardiff on 5th May - no response. Sent reminder letter on 14th July - no response. Thought I might have more luck with their local office in Falkirk. Sent off copies of letters sent to Cardiff and asked for a response within 7 days or I would proceed with getting an injuction to force their compliance. Was this OK?

Will also complete ICO form . Any other suggestions?

Mel5

The £750 is the claim (charges etc) Interest can be added later if you get judgement (I think)

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

The £750 is the claim (charges etc) Interest can be added later if you get judgement (I think)

Dave

Correct - Claim for up to £750 of charges, then (assuming you win of course) the additional 8% interest can be added afterwards, along with the Court Fee.

Thanks davefirewalker and JMio.

Have downloaded forms to study. Look fairly straightforward but if I get stuck you'll be hearing from me.

Mel5

• 2 weeks later...

Have delivered Small Claims form to Sheriff Court today for the first £750 (£732.48 to be exact). Another hurdle crossed. The next 5 times are going to be a dawdle - by the time I'm finished I'll be on first name terms with the Court staff.

Just have to wait for the next step now.

Anybody else got this length???

Mel5

I sent in a small claim form with a cheque for the wrong amount (genuine mistake) so they returned everything. Then I realised that the schedule I had sent did not include the 8% interest. When I send it back should I include the whole spreadsheet showing the 8% ?

Mel5

Mel5 - Yes I took Clydesdale Bank to Court & last week they agreed to full amount + interest + expenses. They did have a solicitor in Court for the Preliminary Hearing and subsequently offered a defence but after one offer which I rejected, they did pay up one week prior to Full Hearing.

Just hang in there you will win!

See my thread for more information- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/6536-clydesdale-bank.html

Royal Bank of Scotland - Settled - Full Amount

GE Money - Settled - Full Amount

Tesco Personal Finance - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Pre June 2005 Charges - Settled - Full Amount

19.08.06:

Received notification of a court date

10th October 2006.

Return date 3rd October 2006.

Small Claim No: SA238/06

This is for the first £750 + interest etc.

Can feel the butterflies already.

Mel5

Could a moderator please post this in the correct litigation thread

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phoned the Sheriff court today to see if Clydesdale had offered a defence as I am in Court on Tuesday (10th). Guess what - they had. According to the clerk I spoke to this was the first time a bank had defended. All the other cases that he knew of had gone through without being defended. Talk about luck. He reckons that they are probably going to make mine a test case. Double lucky!!!

However when I got home there was a letter from the Clydesdale offering without admitting liability £732.48 in "full and final settlement". Funnily enough the amount is exactly what my first small claim amounted to (excluding interest). But as I am claiming £3410.91 in total (exc interest) I will not be accepting.

Does this mean that they are in fact not intending to turn up on Tuesday? The thing is it doesn't give me time to send off a "refusal of offer" letter. What do I do now?

Do I inform the Court of their offer before or on Tuesday?

Someone help please?

mel5

Inform the court as soon as you can and ask how you should proceed. I am not familiar with the Scottish legal system so do not know the implications of this for you. I suggest that you fax a refusal letter to YB and the court so that they know that this is not acceptable as full and final settlement.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The same thing happened to me (although they offered interest & court costs in their offer) and I phoned the Sheriff Clerk at the court and told them what had happened and asked what I should do. They told me that the Clydesdale had already advised them and that they would appear at the Hearing and complete the process that the claim had been resolved - no further action was required on my part.

Caro is absolutely right - get in touch with the Sheriff Clerk & explain your position.

Is there a fax or email address on the CB letter where you could send your refusal or I suppose you just give them a phone and tell them - they will give you back your interest & court costs.

Best of luck!

• Haha 1

Royal Bank of Scotland - Settled - Full Amount

GE Money - Settled - Full Amount

Tesco Personal Finance - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Settled - Full Amount + Interest + Court Costs

Clydesdale Bank - Pre June 2005 Charges - Settled - Full Amount

However when I got home there was a letter from the Clydesdale offering without admitting liability £732.48 in "full and final settlement". Funnily enough the amount is exactly what my first small claim amounted to (excluding interest). But as I am claiming £3410.91 in total (exc interest) I will not be accepting.

mel5

Surely you are not claiming the £3k plus in this claim. I thought the limit in Scotland was £750. How much is this actual claim. If this claim is under the £750 then it would only be full and final settlement of the amount in this particular claim, but I don't believe that it would stop you claiming for other charges. Do not accept any conditions the bank try to impose.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Mel if they pay what they have offered without the interest and costs then they will in my opinion continue the process of court claims that you started untill your paid in full, this would be because they could hold on to your money without paying int or costs, whereas if you insist on interest and costs this could only benefit them to pay in full before action, hope this helps.