• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

***If you have a mortgage then this is for you***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have been reading the updates on what Mr Brown has tried to agree with the leading banks of UK. He wants them to pass on the rate cuts. All well and good. However we all know thet 10% of the mortgage products are sub prime and that it is more likley to be a sub prime mortgage payer that is evicted. Therefore I feel Mr Brown should be talking with the CML and all mortgage lenders to reduce the rates. Lets be honest...many people who have a prime market mortgage already enjoys a lower interest rate that the sub prime equivalent (if such a link actually exists). So the 10% are already being discriminated against then along comes the idea of actually passing the cut rate along to the customers (who would have thought of doing that!) and again its the sub prime market (SPM) who miss out.

Lets not get confused here. Many of the SPM are backed by the high street lenders. Those lenders are winning two fold. They already have a return from the rate not being passed on, and then have a further, more enlarged return, from their SPM.

I am in the process of writing to my MP asking what he is going to do about this clear case of discrimination. I am asking you all to do the same.

Please let me know of any response you have from your MPs.

Thanks Mrsfoot x

• Haha 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a nightmare. My fixed rate on my sub prime mortgage is due to end next month. I have already had a letter informing me my payments will be increasing by £200. I'm guessing that's just for starters :eek:

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Adamski

Thats great news that you are being passed the cuts......but the main banks sub prime mortgage business is not really the problem. They work with more transparecy...unfortunately its the likes of Kensington, SPML, Swift etc who are hiking the monthly cost up and are not passing on the reductions.

Ok here is the response from my MP

Dear Mrsfoot

Thank you for your letter dated 18th April regarding interest rates. I have attached a copy of the Chancellors intended speech in which he addressed the difficulties we face economically globally. The UK Gvmt has only limited ability to influence the larger global situation.

There are other losers in the sub prime market besides mortgage holders including loss of jobs when companies close down offices / business's.

I would suggest that unless the Gvmt take complete ownership of all mortgage companies tey would not be able to control the interest rates, those people eho are forced to take mortgages at higher rates will be largely those who have less attractive financia; backgrounds to those eho are able to obtail lower rates of interest.

The Chancellor has already taken unprecedented steps to try to assist this market but has to balance not only the housing situation of the community but also the tax payer. It is not an easy path to tread but I reiterate the Chancellors view that banks themselves do have a responsibility to manage the risk of their own lending.

Anyone have any comments??

Yep

Sounds like a load of bollox to me!

The goverment are not interested those of us stuck with the like of SPML.

These companies do as they please and seem to get away with it.

I had letter on 17th April to say my fixed rate (7.9% i think) ends on 31/5/2008 and interest rate will go up to 9.99%. Payments to go up by £100pm they think but will let me know within the next 4 weeks but nothing sent yet.

They also state that payments to be reviewed after any change to the LIBOR rate.

Luckily my mortgage is relatively small 50k but I still feel I am being screwed.

I can't re-mortgage due to credit history and have been screwed by the 10p tax cut and will continue to be so as my p/t job does not pay well.

Sorry for the rant but I am sick of working hard and being pushed towards the bottom of the pile.

So from reading the above (I'm half way through) this means that Capstone are the administrators for SPML my mortgage is only a debt and I haven't a cat in hells chance of renegotiating my mortgage terms!

I'm with the same company Midge. My payments are expected to go up by £200 next month. I rang to ask what offers were available. They said they are not taking on any new customers or offering new deals to current customers.

In reply to Mrs Foots letter - what a useless load of rubbish. But how can we expect people travelling round in Jags and getting 'free' (to them, not the tax payers) holidays to understand the effects of all this on people who are struggling?

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Thankfully we ' hopefully ' remortgage within the next few months. I have made an appointment to see a broker. We are currently with redstone on 8.79% . we were paying 9.73 at one time on an interest only. I am not sure what deals the broker will come up with or who it will be with . When our fixed rate finished that wasn't the end of the interest rate rises !! I will be very wary when changing this time.

Hi TaffR

I spent the afternoon reading throught he other thread and found it very intersting and worrying.

I will write to Capstone tonight and will be very interested in their reply but as hopefull says above he/she has just done so and been given the answer that they are not taking on new customers etc.

Re the issue about Experian if I understand it Capstone are NOT lenders just administrators so they do NOT hold a credit licence therefore they would not have any right whatsoever to do a search. Surely this then is an issue to be taken up by the ICO.

The other thing I was wondering as my origional contract is with SPML and I was only informed that Capstone were acting as administrators then surely that contract must still stand. If I have not been informed that my mortgage has been sold on how can this be fair and legal.

I think when I get paid I will send a SAR to SPML and the broker who arranged the mortgage to see what info they supply.

You have provided a lot of info and it will take time to digest it all but I must say you explain it well. Thanks

Another thought is if the mortgage contract contains the " we may at anytime pass your account to a third party" and this turns out to mean that they package it and securitise it thereby putting you in a position of not being able to modify the agreement in anyway surely this must be able to be challenged under the UTTC rules.

If it can be classed as an unfair term in your contract then surely you must be able to get some recourse on this basis.

Guest TaffR

The agreement is signed before the sale, In your contract before signing it it will say those terms somewhere. Post FSA (Nov 2004) all mortgage contracts are regulated by the FSA. As securitisation (packaging for a portfolio sale etc) the intended 'purchaser' or as they class themselves as 'lender' Grrr! will be mentioned, as under FSA MCOB rules they must tell you.

Normally the T & C of your mortgage do not change after the transfer of the mortgage to the new company.

I once questioned an orginator on this term and they told me it never happens and its just like they could be bought out (similar to the abbey national acquisition etc). Sounded feasible and I even checked with a bank manager who (as I know now) really didnt know but he said that was feasible. It rarely happens in the prime market. Solicitors in general have no idea either so the advice to take legal advice before signing is knowingly not going to prove negative for them and by this time anyway they have used stealthly all your time up so they know your prob desperate to sign and not going anywhere else since they talked to you on the telephone a couple of weeks previously and a few more telephone calls in between to guage your continued interest, to tell you, you have been accepted. I hope that makes sense. Very clever.

By signing the contract with this very obscure clause that lacks (purposfully) any explanation to it, you have provided them the right to do just that. Then you find you're with an SPV. But discounting this, you may find that your contract could not be changed or modified anyway but remember they are created in readiness for this.

It is very clever.

TaffR

Edited by TaffR

Guest TaffR
On the FSA register it says that Capstone are "unable to hold clients money"

So what exactly does this mean?

I really didnt get to the bottom of this one but I am not too concerned as it generally means that they as a company could not hold deposits or customers money in their own right. It may be worth asking the FSA directly and get it in writing too but my feeling was it was not a concern.

These people are very clever and I dont think you will trip them on such things.

TaffR

Guest TaffR
Another thought is if the mortgage contract contains the " we may at anytime pass your account to a third party" and this turns out to mean that they package it and securitise it thereby putting you in a position of not being able to modify the agreement in anyway surely this must be able to be challenged under the UTTC rules.

If it can be classed as an unfair term in your contract then surely you must be able to get some recourse on this basis.

You would think so. I think what is meaningful here is whether you thought, felt or led to believe that at anytime going forward you could ask for a change in the T & C's and for what reason and whether you specifically asked this question. The contract is signed by most on an 'understanding' or 'perception' of the market and hence they always tell you to obtain legal advice before signing. They work on the princinple of less told the better and it is never in laymans terms.

The only one I have come across is where it states in the contract you still have to pay your mortgage whether your ill or out of work and I think this really does border on unfair terms (whether signed or not) as these two issues are the main reasons people are unable to pay their mortgage and it is contray to CML guidlines of treating borrowers fairly and sympatheticaly etc. It is another way of saying...get lost and dont ask for help when in difficulty and you signed that so go away without telling you they dont have the means or mechanisms to help you anyway.

Just my thoughts

TaffR

Edited by TaffR

Guest TaffR

MrsFoot,

Spot On!!

It is actually in the high street banks commercial interest to pass people to the subprime market. Prime market mortgages are seriously competitive and the margins are very low.

More and more people now have CCj's and then there are the self employed (recent maybe through redundancies with cash to spend but lacks employment options) and self employment is a growth area today too. 75% of new business fail in the first year but subprime will lend (attract/lure through teaser rates) these where prime banks have really been more particular nowadays in who they will lend to and who they wont and pass many to the subprime sector where they are picked up via the backdoor by them and get a bigger and better deal (LIBOR ++++%)....clever isnt it when you join the dots!!

The HSBC for example didnt write down £3.2B for not being in this market!

Guest TaffR

Excellent find Midge61:)

More info: http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid=NEWS&articlekey=9081&cat=44-0-0

The top 20 lenders account for 32% of repossessions

125:kensington mortgage company limited (SUBPRIME)

143:swift advances plc (SUBPRIME)

144:db (uk) bank limited (SUBPRIME)

146:ge money home finance limited (SUBPRIME)

156:birmingham city council

159:bank of scotland plc (t/a halifax)

161:blemain finance limited (SUBPRIME)

181:southern pacific mortgage limited (SUBPRIME)

189:ge money secured loans limited (SUBPRIME)

261:bank of scotland plc t/a birmingham midshires (SUBPRIME)

279:ge money mortgages limited (SUBPRIME)

293:gmac rfc limited (SUBPRIME)

293:kensington mortgages company ltd (SUBPRIME)

299:gmac - rfc limited (SUBPRIME)

299:gmac-rfc limited (SUBPRIME)

382:ge money home lending limited (SUBPRIME)

475:abbey national plc

484:lloyds tsb bank plc

523:bank of scotland plc

690: northern rock plc (SUBPRIME)

Edited by TaffR

Guest TaffR

Claims Issued are were a Lender after approx. 3 missed payments seeks a possesson order. Suspended Orders are where the Lender is granted possession but not an Eviction Order, this is where the Defaulter comes to an agreement with the Lender on making the payments and clearing the arrears. This agreement would be Legal Binding and if the Defaulter breaks the agreement the Lender can return to court to get an Eviction Order.

On the FSA register it says that Capstone are "unable to hold clients money"

So what exactly does this mean?

I called FSA and asked about this in relation to GMAC,

they said that they are unable to hold deposits as in the normal way banks hold peoples money.

For Attn of Taffr,

I have to say that I was bit taken aback by your posts on some threads that I have been involved in, but having read and understanding a little bit more about the angles you are coming from I am very impressed. I have a GMAC mortgage (no arrears just) and can fully relate to the concerns being posted here, although I am not direcly affected as GMAC are passing on the rate reductions to me. That said I am self employed and out of a 2 year deal and cannot go back into main stream lenders because of various other financial difficulties.

I can however relate to the fact that GMAC would not hesitate in attempting to reposses my home if I let it get that far. My dealings with them in the last few months are very inflexible post 1 month of arrears. Fortunateley I have been able to keep within 1 month but we see stories all the time on this forum of people that do not.

So keep up the good work and I am sorry for doubting you.

BB

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Guest TaffR

So keep up the good work and I am sorry for doubting you.

BB

Please never, ever apologise to me, I fully appreciate your feelings and doubts. It is a very complex sector but the jigsaws do fall into place, as I experienced too.

The 'rougher' treatment being witnessed today is really due to the portfolio value decreasing (hence the losses) just like any stock market shares I suppose.

They depend on peoples ignorance and lack of understanding to succeed....and I am no different to anyone on here and can relate to most of the frustrations and upset thay they relate.

The way to deal with them is always proactivley and shame them before they take the lead.

Thank you for your kind words.

Taff R