• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

GHD's caught fire while using, what can I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a pair of GHD straightening irons that I bought in July 2003.

While I was using them a couple of weeks ago they caught fire. A flame shot out from the cable where it joins the irons, scaring the s**t out of me, so I dropped them onto the carpet!

I sent them back to Jemella, the people who manufacture the GHD's with a covering letter explaining what had happened.

I received a reply this morning stating that they were well out of the warranty period and that the break in the cord where it caught fire was due to "excessive flexing of the lead wire over a period of time". Also that "the plates were loose which is due to wear".

They offered to repair them at a cost of £43.00.

I used my irons over three years, on average, a couple of times a week and I NEVER wound the flex around them when storing them.

Does anyone know whether I have any recourse, can I demand a FOC repair or replacement irons or will I have to buy a new pair.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Angie (now with frizzy hair!)

Sorry to say this but I think that you have worn them out and the manufacturer is under no obligation to repair them beyond the stated garantee period, which is usually one year.

You will need to buy some new ones I fear.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Thanks for your message. I would understand if one day I tried to use my irons and they wouldn't work, I wouldn't expect GHD to do anything about it. But the fact that they caught fire is worrying. Had I been using them on the back of my hair, it could well have caught alight. Surely they would have had to answer for it if my head turned into a giant fireball?

i dont know about this one.... you see if you only use them a few times a week for a period of 15 mins max each time to straighten your hair then over a week it is 1 hour of use a week, so over a year its what 52 hours a week so over 3 years its 150 hours use ??? so i would say that 150 hours use is not a lot.... i am a hairdresser and have had my ghds for 4 years and use them many times a day 5 days a week.... so if you write to them and say that they have not been used to their full potential bla bla bla,and surely they should last longer than 150 hours (approx) and that you only use them for personnel use as you are not in the hairdressing trade, and that BECAUSE THEY ARE SOOOOO GOOOOD YOU ONLY NEED TO USE THEM ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK...... kiss up, then ask them to pleeeaseee reconsider their decision, offer to pay for the postage and packaging. maybe this would help....!!

good luck lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

My GHD's have done the same, I've had them 14mths and one day a massive spark shot out from where the cable goes into the irons. Since then they haven't worked - they turn on and start to heat up and then they die. I never thought about writing to them..I might just do that.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Seem to remember a big post about this a while ago... think it was bw.... will have a look

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Thanks for that Lisa, I'll try the kissy up tack and ask them to reconsider.

Dolly, the address to post your straighteners to is :

Jemella Ltd

Unit 12

Ryefield Way

Silsden Nr Keighley

West Yorkshire

BD20 0EF

the telephone number is 0845 3301133

If you send by special delivery it's about £5.00, recorded will be cheaper though.

• Confused 1

Well, I'll take a guess what the kissy-up will get you, which is a great big fat wad of nothing, but hey, I hope my cynical self gets proven wrong (by law of average, it MUST happen some time!!!:p )

If kissy up gets you nowhere, let me know and I will happily post here the letter I had to send to Jemella to get things sorted. Meanwhile, do read my thread as linked by pmhread, and especially the court claim report.

Thanks for the link, very interesting, especially with regards to the court action against them. In their letter to me they stated that they had very stringent safety tests....

Anyways I just saw this when I googled faulty ghd's....

"Just to let you know what happened when I phoned GHD about their faulty hair straighteners. I simply said that according to the Sale of Goods Act I was entitled to compensation for faulty goods for up to 6 years after the item was bought, regardless of the 1 year warranty. The women on the phone said she'd speak to the supervisor, so she disappeared for a minute. When she came back to the phone she said that GHD would repair the hair straighteners for free and send them back to me by recorded delivery in the next few days. I received the repaired hair straighters 7 days later."

So a change of heart, I will state that my level of usage would in no way count as excessive and I will also mention the sale of goods act.

I think I'll insist on a new pair rather than a repair, owing to the fact they'd caught fire once and could do so again.

GHD

PO BOX 397

Keighley,

BD20 0WX,

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was extremely disappointed in your answer regarding the ceramic styling irons I returned.

I do not accept that an appliance that is approximately 16 months old should fail under “wear and tear”. I do not accept that what seemed to be an electrical internal problem inside a non opening casing could possibly come under “wear and tear”. I do not accept that because it is over 12 months old, it exonerates you from your obligations as regards satisfactory quality. I certainly do not accept that one should have to pay £23 for repairs when one has paid £110 or so for an item less than 18 months after purchase.

I refer you to The Sales of Goods Act 1979 and its explicit terms:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says that goods should be as follows:

·Of satisfactory quality.

This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information. In some circumstances, the retailer may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer about the goods.

Satisfactory quality includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from defects (including minor faults). (…)

Also:

“A guarantee is extra to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.”

I must say that when I posted about this problem on the Consumer Action Group, the response about your company was very complimentary and I am therefore even more surprised about your current response.

I must ask you to reconsider your response, failing which, I must ask you to return the faulty item to me so that I may pursue the matter further, up to and including the issue of Summons in the County Courts if necessary.

Yours sincerely,

Obviously, you'll need to tweak it, and I would add the additional info found since, but you get the picture.

No way!!! You want the new pair for free as a replacement of the faulty ones :)

The woman I spoke to (Barbara Chapman) was insistent that they had been overused due to the plates being loose. She also said that the fact they caught fire was one of the hazards of all hand held electrical items, eg hoovers, irons etc. I mentioned the court case and she said that it had nothing to do with the cord catching fire and was an other safety issue and that the items in question were all made in 2002 and had since been recalled. When I mentioned the article referred to a woman whose starighteners had caught fire and that she informed Trading Standards I was told the article was inaccurate and not to believe the papers!

I think we should be careful here. It is all well and good to champion consumer rights but let us not exceed our rights and expect to get something for nothing. You admit that you bought this product in 2003, it is now 2006 and you admit using the product. On what grounds are you claiming that the supplier is still liable?

My company supplies many large retailers and we are constantly being asked to replace products that we have supplied that have clearly been damaged by customers or have worn out through normal use over time.

I have read another post on this site where a Landlord is asking a tenant (the tenant posted) to pay for a sofa and mattress that have been in the property for four years because it is the Landlord's opinion that they are worn out and the tenant should pay. Yet the advice to the tenant is to hold out due to the fact that after four years you would expect wear and tear and the Landlord should not expect payment. I agree with this as I am sure most of you would.

Yet now this thread appears to advocate that we should expect to get anything replaced anytime we like. You should take their offer of a new pair for the price of the repair; they have no obligation under any law to do even this.

You can try for more by all means but do not be surprised if they dig their heels in, I would.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Of course no-one can make the decision for you at the end of the day... If you feel you haven't had £100 odd of usage out of these things then you have a right to complain.

After 3 years of light usage, I would not expect to be nearly set on fire by a pair of hair straigheners..... and not just because I'm a bloke LOL

Personally as these are supposedly built to be used professionally then 3 years of light use should mean they should last longer, also read the other thread where the importers of these have been fined a lot of money by TS for selling electrically inferior products so yes I think they should repalce them

She also said that the fact they caught fire was one of the hazards of all hand held electrical items, eg hoovers, irons etc

Really? I am sure Trading Standards AND Health & Safety would be DELIGHTED to hear that novel intepretation! There isn't a chance you recorded this, by any chance?

I mentioned the court case and she said that it had nothing to do with the cord

catching fire and was an other safety issue and that the items in question were all made in 2002 and had since been recalled.

She is, hang on, what's the word?... Oh, yes, LYING.

The prosecution brought by Gloucestershire County Council Trading Standards Service followed a complaint made by a Gloucester resident in January 2003 who had been alarmed to see flames and sparks coming from the product after the power cord failed.

When I mentioned the article referred to a woman whose starighteners had caught fire and that she informed Trading Standards I was told the article was inaccurate and not to believe the papers

And of course, she would have no interest in being economical with the truth, would she?

You have choices here: 1 - You can pay less than 1/2 price for brand new irons.

2 - You can call their bluff and hold out and see who blinks first. It could end up with you taking them to small claims, where you could and would rely on previous case to prove your point.

3 - You could call TS 1st and see what they have to say? With Jemella's history, they may well be able to advise you one way or another?

Oh no, just seen your message BW after paying up for a new pair.

I'm about to order these also, SCP TOURMALINE CERAMIC HAIR STRAIGHTENER which are on special offer at £34.95, down from £79.99 this month only. They have a 14 day return policy on them.

If they are no good I'll return them within the 14day period and keep the new GHD.

If they are good, then I have a brand new pair of GHD which will go on ebay for £65 or to a deserving friend / family member for £43.

hey if you wanna sell the ghds please email me.

but to be honest once you have used the ghds you will find it hard to go back to another pair.

lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I realise that this thread ended a while back....I have just had the same problem. Today, sparks shot out of my straighteners from the area around the ceramic plates. Following this a flame ignited through the cord at the end nearest to the ceramic plates. After a couple of seconds, the flame died away. I have the straighteners since December 2003 but to be honest they have only been used on average twice a week, not "heavy" usage by any standard.

I emailed GHD today and after reading the information here, am eagerly anticipating their reply.....did anyone have any success?

Yes - they did.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/3366-ghd-straighteners-result.html?highlight=Hair

Perhaps start your own thread, rather than dredge up old ones and hopefully the CAG can help you out.

:) Good Luck

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

deleted cos im an idiot

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world