Council tax - can i claim costs from them ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have now got warning letters for my coucil tax, which i have paid, and have the reciepts for.

My question is, if i just let them take me to court, can i apply for costs (loss of earnings, travel, subsistance etc ) .

The alternative is to waste my time on the phone to them as usual to maybe get it resolved. this could take a fair few phone calls and a lot of my time. My argument is why should i bother, ive paid the money , got the reciepts il see them in court.

Any advice is welcome, cheers

If and when they take you to court, one assumes you will produce the receipts as part of your defence, so why not save yourself the bother of dealing with a court claim and just write to them enclosing copies.

The only costs you would be awarded would at most be loss of earnings (max £50) and travel costs to and from the court

My reasoning behind it is i have spent time and effort explainng this to them before, and when i next call they will have no record of the previous conversation.

I will try again, and give them the information again and see where it goes.

i have got this years bill and am tempted to go to the local office and pay it in mixed coppers, that way someone will remember me paying it, but i guess there will be some law that says they dont have to accept that much change.

My reasoning behind it is i have spent time and effort explainng this to them before, and when i next call they will have no record of the previous conversation.

Exactly, which is why I said to write, not phone, then there is a record, which would be something else in your favour if they persist in issuing a claim

• 4 weeks later...

I know they can claim costs from you even if they are wrong!

I was in your situation and it went to court and a Libility Order was granted even though I had paid my bill.

The point was that when the council summonsed me they disputed the amount, incorrectly, but it was that point in time that I was liable for and because they had not finalised it it was still my problem!

Hence, a £60 bill for nothing!

Be careful-it's like a law from Nazi Germany.