Data Protection Act letter

starla_kid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to claim back charges on behalf of my boyfriend from Barclays. I sent off the Data Protection Act information request letter and received one back saying the following:

" Please be aware that the bank is not under and obligation to present information according to any particular format. Therfore, your request to assemble as schedule of charges is turned aside. You may of course obtain this data from copy statements and these will be supplied to you within the next few weeks, without charge on this occasion. As the Bank is providing the copy statements on a complimentary basis your payment is returned herewith.

As regards you mention of 'manual intervention', the DPA does not oblige the bank to comment about internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute 'personal data' under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For the avoidence of doubt, the fact that we do not gernally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions on the DPA is in no way an admission that there was no such manual intervention"

yours etc.

They returned our £10.00 payment.

My take on this is that they are sidestepping the issue of 'manual intervention' by saying that they don't keep that information. this would mean that they are trying to avoid admitting the fact that no manual intervention has EVER been required.

What do other people think - has anyone received a letter like this?

Thanks

Starlakid

Hi, This is an identical letter to the one that I recieved, do not be put off, it is a standard response that most will get. I have been waiting now for 23 days for my statements, if they are not here in the next few days I will be sending a reminder of their duty under the DPA. Good luck.