BankFodder BankFodder

El Deino

Fear & Loathing of DCAs

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4269 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi and thanks for your welcome Lula. Just to let you know, I am very new to the whole concept of forums and discussions, but I can plainly tell that you all have helped out a lot of people.

After a fair while looking through previous threads, I really can’t find one that exactly fits my circumstances, so I will go through them now.

I’ve just started to be chased by debt collectors (Moorcroft). I have no idea how they found out how to get hold of me, but it started at the weekend. I’ve only spoken to them once. Fortunately I was on the train to work so I could barely hear them. They asked me for my date of birth but I told them to call back later, and they said to call the number back which came up on the phone, so I did. And all I got was an answer machine talking complete nonsense.

Barclays bank has passed along the debt I owe for my overdraft as a student. One I have tried to pay back – I went in to the bank and attempted to begin repaying, but they said I no longer owed them and to ring a number. Which I subsequently did, only to discover that it passed to another company. So I called this new company and they had no idea of who I was or what I was talking about. As the 9 or 10 calls I made attempting to chase them up completely used all of my phone credit, I sort of gave up and then eventually forgot all about it. Until this weekend.

Now from the bits of research I’ve been doing, I am incredibly dubious about dealing with debt collectors as they appear to be devoid of any humanity at all and are quite content to utterly destroy people’s lives. However, I do wish to pay back my debt, after all it is my debt. I just really do not know how to go about it. One thing that I am sure of however, is that I am not dealing with these reprobates over the phone.

I would be very grateful for any and all advice you guys could offer.

I also do not want to end up like my mother who got herself into a hundred grand of debt through mail order and catalogues, and the only way she got out of it was to sell the right to buy council flat she paid for over 25 years and so ended up with nothing (albeit all her own fault). I really am at a total loss and if I’m honest, completely terrified by all this and the possible repercussions.

One of the main issues of this whole mess is that the original debt was from a few years ago while I was still a student. I was forced to leave uni for medical reasons, then I was forced to leave my home and was of no fixed address for about 18 months. As such, I have not received any of the reams of letters I’m positive they have been sending.

Anyway, thank you for taking time to read this and any help you could give, I would be most grateful for.

Hi Welcome to CAG.

First of all, NEVER speak to a DCA, they will lie to you, threaten you with all sorts of nonsense. What you must remember is that the DCA monkeys work on a commission basis. The more money they get from 'clients' the more they earn, and they will stoop to the lowest levels to try and get you to part with your money.

So now just wait until you have something from them in writing.

If they keep phoning you, send them this letter.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/131250-dca-creditor-harassment-telephone.html

If you do answer a call from them, don't give out your details ie DOB etc, just repeat, 'ONLY IN WRITING' and then hang up.

Moorcroft are well known in these parts and if you search for them you will find many threads and how they can ge defeated!

Good luck, get reading and start feeling stronger. By all means loathe the DCAs but never fear them!!

Spotnot

Spotnot v MBNA and their nasty solicitors (on behalf of my friend)

If I have helped in any way, click my scales.

Remember, we were all newbies once!!

When you win, donate!!!

OK, you need to write to Moorcroft, (as they would seem to be the ones chasing you most recently) - DO NOT SPEAK TO ANY DEBT COLLECTION AGENCIES ON THE TELEPHONE, you need to get EVERYTHING IN WRITING and get them to explain the debt in full to you, what it is for, any excessive charges, (so you know where you stand) - (you can also claim back the excessive charges too + 8% compounded interest which you should do through Barclays (you would need to send a SAR (Subject Access Request to the Data Compliance Officer at Barclays - unless you still have all your statements) the SAR request will cost you £10 (that is the maximum they can charge you). Once you have received the information back from Moorcrofts then write back and make an offer to repay them back at an amount that you can afford. - But be warned it may not stop them making excessive phone calls in which case write on your letter that you are only prepared to communicate in writing and that if they continue to contact you on your telephone number/s then you will regard that as harrassment and treat it as such. You are not obliged to fill out an earnings/outgoings statement. The address for Moorcroft is:

Moorcroft House

2 Spring Gardens

Stockport

Cheshire

SK1 4AJ

The address for Barclays is. (I think this is still current)

Peter Townsend - Manager, Barclays Data Protection

The address it came from is:-

Barclays

Data Protection

Radbroke Hall

Knutsford

Cheshire

WA16 9EU

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Thank you so much for the swiftness of your responses guys!

Right so the first thing to do is to send off the S.A.R. to Barclays... in the process of doing so right now. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by all the information that is available, and have a question or two, if you would be so kind...

When I write to Moorcroft asking them to explain the situation, would it be in my best interests to request a CCA ? Or am I getting my wires crossed ? I think I need to do more research about this twisted company so I have as much information at my disposal before I write to them.

So... much... information...

Thanks again 42man & Spotnot

SAR sent off to barclays, letter sent off to Moorcroft... guess the rest is up to fate now...

Please do not worry about Moorcrap, they are bottom feeders and really are not worth a bucket of cold urine

they will more than likely go away now you have sent them the CCA.

They are easliy dispatched

Lloyds TSB (SARS) request sent 9th June 2006

£2191 Moneyclaim Issued 11/08/2006, Acknowleded 17th August Defence 14 Sep, AQ returned 5/10/2006.SETTLED IN FULL £2,670 26/11/2006/ Lloyds Credit Card SETTLED IN FULL £267

MBNA SETTLED IN FULL 15/09/2006 £829

Citicard (SARS) request sent 22nd June 2006 Moneyclaim issued 19th Sep, Defence and AQ received 5/10/2006, AQ returned 5/10/2006, part refund received 10/10/2006

GE MONEY SETTLLED IN FULL £400

Barclaycard Me and Mrs SARS sent 19/10/2006 settled £350

Welcome Finance PPI 2 accounts one settled £1018 waiting on other

GE Money PPI 1 account settled 8/5/2008 £560 2nd account SETTLED IN FULL £3,599.78p 15thAugust 2008

Lloyds TSB PPI CC complaint sent 10/04/2008

Black Horse PPI with FOS 20/05/2008

HFC PPI complaint sent 22/05/2008

I wil echo adamski's post they put up very little resistance

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

God I really hope you're right... I'm sure you are though !!

Seriously, thanks so much guys for all your support :)

Hi Guys... quick update for you... Today Barclays has finally responded to my SAR. They were "unable to locate the account from the details provided", which don't exactly fill you with much hope really. Still not heard a whisper from the parasites at Moorcroft...

Looks like your predictions were correct Adamski and PGH.

I will now get this further info sent back to Barclays.

If they were unable to "locate" the account details and have said has much in a letter keep it save, and if moorcrap come back at you just say the acount is in dispute due to the OC being unable to provide you with the relevant account details you have requested, and that has they say is that.

• Haha 1

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)