• Tweets

• The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. Once question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
    • a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Zooman v PC World - **RESULT!!!**

Guest Zooman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Zooman

what is the law on retuning faulty goods.

I bought a telly from PC World 3 weeks ago and never it worked never. I want for my money back they say I will have do have it fixed.

Guest Zooman

OK I took it back to the store and they refused to give me a refund.

Long story

Brought it on 15th June, reported fault on 16th.

First when I brought it it should have been brand new, they sent a demo.

Remote did not work and had screen burn. Although they admit I had come into the store to complain they did not log it was broke and code and now 20 days later they will not give me my money without waiting for an engine to come to my home.

Guest Zooman

Just spent 30mins on the phone with them what a waste of time. Circles.

Take the tv into the shop, plonk it on the counter and tell them you wont leave the shop until you've spoken to the manager and you want your money back today! report to trading standards as the tv is not fit for the purposes it was bought for!!

Guest Zooman
Take the tv into the shop, plonk it on the counter and tell them you wont leave the shop until you've spoken to the manager and you want your money back today! report to trading standards as the tv is not fit for the purposes it was bought for!!
Done, would not give me my money back TV is still in store (I'm not :oops:) 1,200 cash I paid for it and 800 cash for one that is still working. A**&^%s. They told me on the phone that I had accepted a demo when I took it out of the store. I explained I had it picked up for me and they knew nor better, SO the law says you accepted the telly in that condition (i.e used) and nothing they could do, so I asked to be put on to a manager NO, said I want to go up the ladder told IN WRITEING ONLY.

From Trading Standards website:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says that goods should be as follows:

This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information. In some circumstances, the retailer may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer about the goods.

Satisfactory quality includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from defects (including minor faults)

• Fit for the purpose

that goods of this type are generally sold. They must also be fit for any specific or particular purpose made known to the seller at the time of the agreement.

As described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them.

I think that should be more than sufficient, don't you?

Let us know how you get on.

OK, sorry, obviously too late...

What does your receipt say? If it doesn't state it's an ex-demo, with limited returns rights, you should also use the angle that you were mis-sold goods as new, when in fact, they sold you damaged/ex-display goods.

But from TS again:

When are you not entitled to anything?

• If you were told of any faults before you bought the goods.
  • If the fault was obvious and it would have been reasonable to have noticed it on examination before buying.

So I think that this what it will come down to. With a receipt not indicating this, I should think you will have a good chance to win this... How soon is a different question.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Guest Zooman

Right made a call to the engineer to come out was told that they do not come out for screen burn and that I have to take it to the store just phoned store. Just about to go round to the store again any advice. I will take a print of the above.

any advice

Yeah look for the duty manager - he sits or stands on a podium thing directing other staff where to go and what to do.

March up to him and say "Are you coming down here or have I got to come up there?" :D:D:D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zooman

I'll scan the letter I got last week, telling me to come into store and pick it up. I made sure I found the guy who was being rude and cocky to me for the refund armed with the letter from the legal team. I will also copy the letter I sent them.

One for CAG, cheers all who helped. You kept my head clear.

Guest Zooman

the letter I sent on the 6th July

I have drafted this letter to PC world, bearing in mind that it was a B2B sale.

PC world

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Purchase of Plasma Screen Television

I am claiming a full cash refund on the product Under Breach of Contract.

a)We purchased a new model and where in fact given an ex demo.

b)The TV is faulty as it has screen burn from being used a store demo.

c)The TV is faulty as the inferred receiver on the TV is broken.

None of the above was explained at the time of purchase.

***** the companies General Manager reported the issues in your Barrow Store in person to the business centre the day after purchase. She was then told to go to Barrow Curry and pick a replacement. No replacement was available in the same price ranger or spec. ****** did not return to the store as she thought it was in good hands and the pressures of time. Since then we have been in circles.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I will begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice in the Barrow Small Claims Court. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

As an act of good will to avoid the need for legal action I am willing today to accept a full refund for the TV, Warranty and Bracket (in fact all monies spent) in the form of a credit note that we can redeem at our convince in your store against any goods including goods on discounted sale and/or special offer. This offer is only open today and if it acceptable I will accept a faxed reply today as confirmation.

There will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the deadline.

Yours faithfully,

the reply came on the 20th July, I was in no rush for the money as I was having a nice break last week. But I had already printed out the claim form and was ready to take into the courts on Friday.

Great stuff that man - well done

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Message to all

I work for pc world as a business advisor and everything that has been said PARTLY true, The problem is every store different in how they deal with customers. As a business advisor i deal with alot of customers and find that it is better to deal with the customer directly instead of including a manager because most of the time we dont need to (this is coming from my experience)

The best way to sort out a problem is not to scream and shout, it is to explain what the problem you have been having with product (and have your reciept with you)

Then the customer advisor can see what can be done

Rules of returns

1) If it is faulty is still within 28 days you have the rights to get a full refund

2) If it is over 28 days you contact 08702420444 and they will talk you through. If you are still having problem they will send service call to your house to fix it

3) if a product is not within six weeks, you will recieve a replacement

4) Software is the biggest problem, because we cant return it if it is open

I stress this now , this is NOT a pc world rule, this is because of the likes bill gates being a money grabbing b******.

I hope this will give a insight into pc world returns

Message to all

I work for pc world as a business advisor and everything that has been said PARTLY true, The problem is every store different in how they deal with customers. As a business advisor i deal with alot of customers and find that it is better to deal with the customer directly instead of including a manager because most of the time we dont need to (this is coming from my experience)

The best way to sort out a problem is not to scream and shout, it is to explain what the problem you have been having with product (and have your reciept with you)

Then the customer advisor can see what can be done

Rules of returns

1) If it is faulty is still within 28 days you have the rights to get a full refund

2) If it is over 28 days you contact 08702420444 and they will talk you through. If you are still having problem they will send service call to your house to fix it

3) if a product is not within six weeks, you will recieve a replacement

4) Software is the biggest problem, because we cant return it if it is open

I stress this now , this is NOT a pc world rule, this is because of the likes bill gates being a money grabbing b******.

I hope this will give a insight into pc world returns

And that is why PC World (and the rest of the DSG group) have such a bad name.

Can I ask why, if something goes faulty after 29 days you don't refund, when it is the customers right to get a refund if required? The main thing people complain about DSG about is the fact they try to pretend the sale of goods act doesn't apply to them!

• 3 weeks later...

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Reulation 2002 states in Part 5A that if the goods do not conform to the contract of sale ( match their description) (be of satisfactory quality) (be fit for their purpose) at the time of delivery,within the first 6 months then you the consumer can require the seller to repair, or replace, or to reduce the purchase price, or recind the contract.

Ron