Help - Parking Charge from PPC in Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again, anyone have detailed knowledge on how Post Office works? It has occcurred to me, what would position be if i saw local postmaster & said not to deliver letters with certain markings on them. I rather think I know the answer but on the other hand, what if able to meet Postie every morning and refuse delivery of such envelopes? Would it be a case of "Return to sender"?

Two problems.

1) the postmaster or postie would be acting unlawfully by not delivering without reasonable casue;

2) the Interpretation Act presumes service after 2 or 5 days for normal post (depending on class of post used). If recorded or registered post is used, it is deemed served by the law regardless of whether or not it has been signed for.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Pat. Is there any point of expanding your statement that postie would be acting illegally if these letters not delivered. What I actually meant was meeting postie, flicking through mail (we get little mail except junk)and giving postie these letters back. He actually would have delivered mail, but delivery refused!!! On back of envelope says " If undelivered return to sender" then address. Can't seal letterbox as this would prevent all mail from delivery.

Thanks for that Pat. Is there any point of expanding your statement that postie would be acting illegally if these letters not delivered. What I actually meant was meeting postie, flicking through mail (we get little mail except junk)and giving postie these letters back. He actually would have delivered mail, but delivery refused!!! On back of envelope says " If undelivered return to sender" then address. Can't seal letterbox as this would prevent all mail from delivery.

My understanding of the law surrounding the Universal Postal System is that the Royal Mail is required to deliver to the address - not the addressee. If you handed mail back to the postman (woman), he/she is still obliged to deliver it to the address.

A delivery postman is probably unauthorised to accept mail - even wrongly sorted post is supposed to be placed back into a postbox.

Old Mill Dundee.

My first video of this site was, shall we say, somewhat amateurish, and so i decided to revisit today and film a rehash. On entering the complex the first thing i noticed was that the yellow & black "Visitor Parking" sign was missing! After a look round it was apparent that the sign had been taken down. Again, still searching for customer parking, i exited the site and re-entered it from Brown Street, where upon i found 4 bays marked "customer parking" in a separate part of the complex. This part is connected to the main part by a short alleyway, which can't be driven through because of bollards obstructing the road. No use for disabled

What was of even greater interest was the "Permit holders only" sign had also been removed from it's previous position which was the locus of my original parking. Are they learning at long last??

PS. Forgot to post my cheque to debt collectors today. 12th is D day!! Hope some of you lot will bring lots of "goodies" when you visit me in the clappie.

PS. Forgot to post my cheque to debt collectors today. 12th is D day!! Hope some of you lot will bring lots of "goodies" when you visit me in the clappie.

How about some Burns poetry to while away the hours.

I think his Ode to a Field Mouse is particularly relevant to the PPCs.

If I can paraphrase ..."The best laid plans of mice and PPCs frequently get totally F***k** up....................":D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have been instructed by Central Ticketing Ltd to collect £143. (didn't say what for). If entire amount is not paid by Friday 6th June, this could lead to court action and the amount will increase to £277.

I assume the extra £134 would be court costs. They seem to have conveniently forgotten that in small claims in Scotland costs/expenses are not awarded for claims under £200.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Scaniaman - I'll be seeing you in the big house because I got the same letter a fortnight ago re the £143. My car was also parked in the Old Mill Complex. I wasn't driving and have told CCS as such in a letter to them and also that the ticket is being disputed with Central Ticketing.

They have sent text messages to my home phone asking me to contact them by telephone - that'll be right. On Friday I got another letter which basically consisted of a bank draft asking for the money - nae chance.

My car was parked on a Saturday morning by my son in a space which belonged to his company but unfortunately he had no permit with him that day.

OK. This being the case, if it were me, I would be reporting to the police PDQ. When I spoke with my lawyer about this, the advice given was to get theEvening Tele to do a story on this [problem]. Don't know how you feel about that??

PS. Think police are duty bound to investigate how CCS got your phone number. You may have to go above a desk officer to achieve this. It is however just possible, (unless your X directory) that they took the trouble to look you up in phone book!!!! DVLA gave them name & address!!

I'm assuming they did look me up in the phone book but I am not speaking to them on the phone in case they record their calls. And anyway they would have to be phoning me and not any of this electronic text voice caper. Like I'm gonna waste my money dialling them so they can ask me for the dosh!!!! I'll probably fire off another letter to them saying the same as the last and wait for anything further happening.

You must do what you feel is right for you. I thought long and hard about this, and together with info gained from this site, decided to go along the road of completely ignoring CCS. In any case all letters were not REC DEL. Admittedly, it's against the beasts nature not to fight back, but i will wait and see if they try and bring official court action before i do anything. See RORY 32's post. Any help??

PS. stupidly wrote CT, and said i was driving. Explained my story, and eventually told them the matter was now closed and not to contact me again. Letter worded to include anyone working on their behalf. Quite a while passed before CCS contacted me.

laguna, very interesting article indeed. Didn't quite catch date of meeting and gather no set date for further meetings?? Since you reside in C/nauld. is there any prospect of you contacting paper to find out what outcome was?? I have a wee ploy of my own but can't post until verification received.

but i will wait and see if they try and bring official court action before i do anything. See RORY 32's post. Any help??

Have you considered reporting them to the OFT under The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/146460-consumer-protection-unfair-trading.html?ltr=T

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have considered this route, amongest others, but am involved with OFT on another matter, and find them slow to react to put it mildly. On this other matter, they told me that they don't act if one individual complains, but build up a file, and when sufficient complaints received, they send file to investigation team!!!!!!! I suggest you email them. The first and largest paragraph of their reply is devoted to informing you what they DON'T do.

And us mugs pay their fantastic remuneration packages. As Penny Smith says "Nice Work if You Can Get it"

Well they don't deal with individual complaints but the point is if you don't complain they think everything is okay and don't build up a file on these companies. When they do finally act they have teeth.

I got an answer from my MSP and this is what it said.

Thank you for your e-mail. This matter was discussed to an extent, but nothing concrete was established as there were no representatives from the management of the car parking facilities in and around the town centre to answer questions people had about this matter.

However, I am very happy to take this matter forward on your behalf if you would like. Is there a specific circumstance in regards to a fine at Cumbernauld town centre that I can help you with, or is it just the general principle involved? Please let me know if you would like me to take forward this issue on your behalf and I will be very happy to do so.

I heard back from him again and this is what he said,

I am going to lodge a Parliamentary question to see if I can tie this issue down a bit more. I want to see where private entities get this authority, if they have any at all, to levy fines.

I am going to ask him if and when the next meeting is and if i can i will go to it.