Coucil Tax Exemption

luke123456
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey

I know that in households where there is a disabled person, the whole house is exempt from paying council tax.

This isn't true. There is the disability reduction scheme which could reduce the amount payable if a person + the property meets certain criteria. There are also special rules for people who have a severe mental impairment. Give the disability benefits enquiry line a ring on 0800 88 22 00, they should be able to offer further assistance.

OK thanks for that.

How comes a few people have told me this is true as they are in these circumstances?

What should I ask them... I am not disabled just enquiring aout something.

Is there such a scheme for attendance allowance?

cheers

A property that is occupied only by a person(s) who meets the criteria for a Class U exemption (severely mentally impaired) would be exempt from Council Tax unless it was classed as an HMO.

In the case where a person meets the Class U criteria but lives with another person then only a 25% discount would be applied. If the other occupant(s) were disregarded for some reason (e.g apprentices) then a 50% discount would generally apply.

When a house has been adapted for the use of a disabled person (dedicated treatment room, widened doors for wheelchairs etc.) then a disabled band relief may apply which reduces the council tax charge by band band - if the property is already in band A then the charge is reduced to 5/9th of that of a Band D property as opposed to the normal band A charge (6/9th of that of a Band D)