• Tweets

• Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
    • HB - yes I agree it is about their paperwork and advice.  I need to be clear in my head what my complaint is.  And what a result looks like for me? (They should never have placed me with the shark with whom I've had all sorts of issues - but I don't think that's my complaint focus -v-  broker) 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BrightHouse OSC and DLC Terms and Conditions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BrightHouse Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover Terms and Conditions.

I have been able to borrow a recent BrightHouse agreement, so took the opportunity to scan the terms and conditions. This has been quite a long process, because the one thing that Optical Character Recognition software has trouble with is text formatting within contracts! :confused:

So after a lot of correction and re-formatting, here ya go! I have made them available in Adobe PDF format for easy download (opens in new window). If you would prefer a copy in MS Word, PM me and I'll get it to you.

Please note. These files are NOT hosted by CAG.

OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER Terms and Conditions

Interesting read this one. No mention anywhere of returning your product at any time. It is just a simple (non insured) service contract. (Plus it's totally worthless because BrightHouse can simply end it if they feel like it!)

DAMAGE LIABILITY COVER Terms and Conditions

More interesting reading... Now we know why BrightHouse, as a company, doesn't appear to be regulated by the FSA! DLC policies are underwritten by Caversham Insurance (Malta) Ltd (a sister company of Caversham Finance, which owns BrightHouse!)

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Watch out for the policy excess on portable equipment, and if your goods are ever stolen they won't pay out unless there is forced entry! :eek:

...And to complete the set, here are the complete terms and conditions applied to a standard BrightHouse Hire Purchase Agreement

BRIGHTHOUSE HIRE PURCHASE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

OK, now a couple of things spring to mind... Firstly BrightHouse have recently been awarded "corporate membership of the Plain English Society", I'm guessing that these contracts weren't part of the appraisal process!!! :o

And secondly, customers are expected to have fully understood all the terms and conditions in the agreements they sign at the point of sale...

"STATEMENT: All charges, terms and obligations in every agreement we make with our customers are explained in easily understood language in a personal presentation in store before the agreement is signed. We then test customers on their understanding of the agreement..."

What do YOU think?

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• 4 months later...
That applies to EVERYSINGLE insurer possible Lefty. Even your Home Insurance will state that.

Not strictly true. Have you not heard of "all risk" items or policies?

I know of a case where BrightHouse refused a DLC claim because, in the store manager's opinion, the customer should not have left her house empty whilst on holiday...

BrightHouse DLC insurance isn't "real" insurance, and you know it!

With respect

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

I know of a case where BrightHouse refused a DLC claim because, in the store manager's opinion, the customer should not have left her house empty whilst on holiday...

And that has what to do with forced entry?

If the claimant was on holiday at the period in which his/her goods was stolen the Burglar must have either A) Forced their way in (provided s/he locked up of course.) or B) Had the key.

Now if the burglar had the key yes the claim may still be valid, however it is unlikely that a pickpocket can steal a key AND know which house it opens.

Also in the case that the claimant accidentally left his/her house unlocked whilst on holiday and was thus stolen from, well matter of factly its their own darned fault.

Meaning Well;

Artie

And that has what to do with forced entry?

If the claimant was on holiday at the period in which his/her goods was stolen the Burglar must have either A) Forced their way in (provided s/he locked up of course.) or B) Had the key.

Now if the burglar had the key yes the claim may still be valid, however it is unlikely that a pickpocket can steal a key AND know which house it opens.

Also in the case that the claimant accidentally left his/her house unlocked whilst on holiday and was thus stolen from, well matter of factly its their own darned fault.

Meaning Well;

Artie

I will say again, a BrightHouse DLC policy is NOT real insurance, and you know it!

Lefty

;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

can any one help me!...iam looking in to this for a freind who is beside her s i lf.said i wud give this site a go 4 her as i have so much help here my self...so here is the problem she is 9 weeks away from finishing her account with them but is in £100 arrears they are sying that they will be out in next few days to remove all goods that belong to them because she can not repay the arrears and weekly payment as soon as can they do this!!! please help if u can soi can put her mind at rest

Hi

Your probably best starting this in a new thread, see below:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=164

If you click on the above and choose a subject line and copy your query into it, I will comment and it will get you noticed.

PJ

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
should i remove this cover?

They seem to bump the prices up of items.

Defiantly remove both covers ! (you will need a home contents insurance policy to remove dlc) but it would cost you a lot less and be better than brighthouses dlc. The dlc is not a propper insurance cover ...infact it is totally useless and covers nothing!! The osc, you can cancell with 7 days notice. Osc is an overpriced extended service cover which is almost forced upon customers and the salesperson is expected to sell it with every sale . It is extortinatley priced and serves to make up the loss of revenue on "skips" people who don't pay .

• 1 month later...

Hi i have lost mobile phone lastnight when i was out with friends , i dont know if i have lost it myself or it has been taken from my bag . i have been intouch with my network provider that i have lost phone and they have put a block on it , but im wondering what i will say to brighthouse tomorrow morning when i ring them, as i do not have there dlc cover but i have my home insurance , does anyone know whether this is covered and also whether i have to report the loss to my insurance company or whether brighthouse contact them

• 1 month later...

The links to the external documents appear to be either broken or removed !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If your home insurance includes external insurance then your phone is insured,,,,Brighthouse DLC and OSC is a complete waste of time,,,I bought a laptop from there and would have ended up paying £656 in insurances so I refused them both,,All electrical goods (new) are covered by the makers guarntee for the first year anyway..my bill started at 14.94pw and now I have removed their useless dlc and OSC it is only 8.44 pw,,big difference :)

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

my mum wrote to cancel the OSC and DLC on some items and they said she has to come into the store to do it because they have to re-write the contracts and the ONLY day that they can do that is on saturdays. is this true!? Why only saturdays can they do this? we sent the letter over a week ago expecting it to be cancelled from when we last paid but nope they took full payment and said we have to go in next weekend to pay it

my mum wrote to cancel the OSC and DLC on some items and they said she has to come into the store to do it because they have to re-write the contracts and the ONLY day that they can do that is on saturdays. is this true!? Why only saturdays can they do this? we sent the letter over a week ago expecting it to be cancelled from when we last paid but nope they took full payment and said we have to go in next weekend to pay it

Rubbish - they are just flexing their muscles. Why on a Saturday when the store is likely to be it's most busiest ?

Send a letter, if need be, head it Official complaint and let them do their job.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes..we were fed the 'only Saturday' baloney,but complied cos I couldn't be bothered to argue...we gave a weeks written notice and went in the following week,had all the OSC and DLC removed,and paid the new rate straight away..I was definitely not 'feeling the love' in there,,quite the cold shoulder cos now I pay the minimum :) They do actually rehash the contract and you re sign,,make sure the figure is right tho,cos they are very good at folding pages over :)

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

I think it's a ''power' thing,,cos they know you have cottoned onto their insurance rubbish I got all the 'what if something happens'' speil,,,I said 'it's covered by the manufacturers warranty and I can extend that if I want' £656 is what I would have paid in OSC alone if I had kept it,,,only £2 cheaper than the total cost of the thing !!

Lillibelle

• 2 weeks later...

closing the sticky

if you have issues

start your own thread.

this is for REF only.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks