• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Conservative MP opens new BrightHouse Store!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh my... There is no hope! What on earth is the point of mere "citizens" such as us questioning BrightHouse, and highlighting their exploitative trading methods, when our elected Members of Parliament legitimise and endorse them... :mad:

MP opens new Lynn electrical store

LYNN has welcomed a new shop in the shape of BrightHouse, the store which lets customers pay for electrical goods in weekly instalments.

Reading-based BrightHouse opened its first Norfolk branch in Broad Street on Saturday, with the help of North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham.

The firm, which sponsors the Trisha Show on Channel Five, says its pay-weekly deals mean people on low incomes can buy things they would not otherwise be able to afford.

Customers can also pay outright in cash, or set up monthly direct debits, and credit is arranged according to individual circumstances.

"Whether you've never applied for credit before or have struggled to be accepted in the past, then we can help," said a company spokesman.

"We provide our customers with choice and access to products, operating without the normal requirements of large deposits and credit ratings which can make everyday domestic products inaccessible to a significant section of UK society."

Full story HERE

Needless to say this email was zapped off to Henry Bellingham MP pretty quickly!

Dear Sir

I was somewhat shocked to see you open a new BrightHouse store in Lynn, Norfolk recently. I find it incredible that you wish to be associated with, and appear to endorse, such a company.

Contributors and users of the Consumer Action Group Forums have recently been researching BrightHouse at great length. This has included several researchers joining BrightHouse as customers, and, experiencing first hand, an inherent culture of social-discrimination, arrogance, lies, obstruction, rudeness, and even aggression towards customers. The forum is also actively collecting first hand "horror stories" of customers' experiences with the company.

Much of this research has been compiled into a Consumer Advice/Debt Advice Fact Sheet (enclosed as a PDF file for your attention) and makes very interesting reading. By unravelling a complex system of financial exploitation (aimed at some of the least well-off in society) this Fact Sheet is also essential for anyone who is - or anyone planning on becoming - a customer of BrightHouse.

(Short extract from Fact Sheet)

Please find time to study the full fact sheet, and keep it on file for when your constituency starts receiving complaints about BrightHouse. I'm sure you will find it useful.

Incidentally, BrightHouse were given every opportunity to respond to our research - and were asked to comment on our findings. We also asked if they would like to contribute and/or suggest any ammendments to the final draft. However, the company chose to ignore all our requests.

I would value your comments, and very much look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards

Lefty

The email was quickly acknowledged by Henry Bellingham's PA, with an assurance of a full response in a day or so.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

A new store’s opened up in Lynn

With help from their MP,

Pay weekly deals mean people cant

Afford their ******** tea!

For those who live there on the coast

Take heed when I say this,

Buy a suite from Brighthouse and.....

There’s no more chips and fish!

Whether you’ve never applied for credit

Or have struggled in the past,

If you’re approached by Brighthouse staff...

Just leg it out there fast! :wink:

Good letter Lefty! I can't wait to read his response. I wonder if he's signed up for any of their products? Oh I almost forgot... doesn't John Lewis do a good package for MP's?

Good letter Lefty! I can't wait to read his response. I wonder if he's signed up for any of their products? Oh I almost forgot... doesn't John Lewis do a good package for MP's?

Don't worry. Just as soon as I receive Henry Bellingham's "full response" I will post it here.

By the way, Morrigan, you're a mighty fine wordsmith! :) You could say, You're a poet... and didn't know-it! :D

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

This story just gets better and better...

I don't know... Opening a BrightHouse store at the weekend, then raising questions in the House of Commons about the number of people in Britain living in poverty the following Monday!!!!

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-03-31a.420.0&s=speaker%3A10726#g424.7

Anyway, as I haven't received my promised "full response" from Mr Bellingham yet, I dropped a little reminder email this morning...

Dear Mr Bellingham

I refer to my email of 8th April, which was duly acknowledged. Thank you.

I am very keen to receive your "full response" as promised, and had really hoped for a reply by now.

I am even more keen than ever to hear your views about BrightHouse (and how they target people on low incomes), particularly as I note your concern at the National Office for Statistics figure of 5.2 million people living in poverty in the UK - a question you raised personally in the House of Commons only two weeks ago.

I would be grateful if you would confirm when I should expect your response.

Kindest Regards

Will keep you posted. But I can assure you, this story is NOT going to go away... eek.gif

Cheers

Lefty

;)

He featured on BBC radio 4 The Investigation programme last Thurs about drugs in prison. Incidently, I featured on the same show and he was full of %%%% on there as well.

Sorry if that's blunt but I'm one for speaking my mind.

You get politicians like this that harper on about poverty and the rest of it and there you have it, he goes and opens a Brighthouse Store.

He'll be mulling over your letter Lefty thinking how he can justify himself.

No doubt they'll be a nice 'fob off' letter coming your way shortly!

I have a sneaking feeling that this story is going to pan out into something very interesting... ;) ;)

Here's another take on the same story:

Debt counsellors concerned over store

EDP24

By Chris Bishop

A store chain which lets customers pay for electrical goods in weekly instalments was set to open its first branch in Norfolk last night.

But debt counsellors warned its credit deals meant the poorest people could end up paying the most for goods.

Reading-based BrightHouse opens a new store in King's Lynn's Broad Street today, selling electrical goods and furniture.

The firm, which sponsors the Trisha Show on Channel Five, said its pay-weekly deals, some lasting up to three years, meant people on low incomes could buy things they would not otherwise be able to afford.

Interest on purchases is typically 29.9pc APR. With added service cover, customers would end up paying a total of £1,038 for a £526 laptop, £544 for a £245 electric cooker or £622 for a £280 hi-fi system.

Andy Cobb, from Norfolk CAB Debtline, said: "It's very unfortunate if the poorest end up paying the most. We advise people to shop around and get the best deal. If you ask 10 people what interest rate they're paying on their store cards nine of them wouldn't know.

"There are 11 different ways to calculate APR - the only reliable way is to look at the total you're paying."

Steve Wiseman, chief executive of Norwich and West Norfolk CAB, said: "It costs a lot more to be poor. There's always a risk that you can over-extend yourself with what seem on the face of it to be quite small weekly payments.

"We have seen so many casualties where people have made consumer spending decisions and regretted them later."

A spokesman for the company said: "BrightHouse serves more than 116,000 customers a year. We provide our customers with choice and access to products, operating without the normal requirements of large deposits and credit ratings that can make every day domestic products inaccessible to a significant section of UK society.

"Our optional service cover provides customers with full protection against breakdown and enables customers to return products at any time without penalty."

North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham, who will be opening the new Lynn store, said: "Their unique selling point is you can return the product without penalty. If you buy a TV or appliance from any other store and can't afford it, if you take it back you still end up paying.

"They are very keen on corporate and social responsibility and are putting a lot of money into the communities they operate in."

Full story HERE

Here's something to think over...

Does this sound in any way familiar to you?

"...They (BrightHouse) are very keen on corporate and social responsibility and are putting a lot of money into the communities they operate in..." - Henry Bellingham

Yes? Familiar? Thought so! This is where you heard it... From a recent BrightHouse official press release:

"...Just over two years ago, a new Chief Executive, board and top management team was installed at BrightHouse. Since then the team has implemented a number of changes throughout the business. (Amongst these changes) are to act as a responsible corporate citizen, and "put something back" into the community...

How about:

"...Their unique selling point is you can return the product without penalty..." - Henry Bellingham

Heard that before? Yep. It's another "official" line from a BrightHouse press release:

"...The proposition is almost unique as the key for customers is the ability to return goods without penalty..."

Either BrightHouse is writing Henry Bellingham's statements for him, or Henry Bellingham is so well versed with BrightHouse policies (and their official publicity) that he knows them off by heart!

Is it just me who finds that strange?

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I am trying really hard to "write between the lines" here... you REALLY need to READ between them...

Cheers

Lefty

;)

From the Office of

Henry Bellingham MP

Tuesday 15th April 2008

Re: BrightHouse

Thank you for the email in connection with the above.

I am grateful to you for contacting me, and also for bringing to my attention these various facts concerning BrightHouse.

When I was asked to open the new store in King's Lynn, I obviously carried out a certain amount of due diligence. I checked out the Board Members, a number of whom have excellent retailing experience and first-class individual reputations, and I also spoke to a number of key directors.

I certainly take on board what you say in your email and memo, but it is the company’s assertion that, although they had a number of complaints in the early days of the predecessor company, they have since changed their business plan and transformed the way the company is run.

Having said that, I will certainly make sure your comments are passed on to their Chief Executive and once I have had a response I will come back to you.

Finally, as far as King's Lynn in concerned, they have taken the lease on an important site in a part of the town centre that is currently undergoing refurbishment. They have appointed an extremely dynamic store manager and they employ a number of my constituents.

Kind regards,

Henry Bellingham M.P.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone who has been following this thread would be wise to subscribe NOW!

This is going to get REALLY interesting!

Trust me ;)

Lefty

;)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Me too !!!

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Here is a copy of an email I received today. For obvious reasons, I have hidden the identity of the sender... for now...

------

Hi Lefty,

You sent ****** ******* MP an email containing information about Brighthouse a while back now. This was not forgotten but saved for an opportune moment and I am beginning to think we might be getting close to that moment. Perhaps you would be able to give me your phone number so we can discuss the latest situation from your end and have a look if there is any work we can do here in Parliament.

Many thanks

For and on Behalf of ****** ******* MP

---------

Here is a copy of the full email I sent:

--------

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXXX,

I note with interest your concerns, and recent request for a Parliamentary debate, about BrightHouse Stores. I am also aware of your interest in consumer rights, so hope this information is of use to you.

Although, unfortunately, not a constituent of yours, I am a contributor to the Consumer Action Group Forums (a national voluntary "self help" organisation) and some of the group has been researching BrightHouse Stores at great length recently. This has included some contributors actually joining BrightHouse as customers and discovering, first hand, an inherent culture of social-discrimination, exploitation, lies, obstruction, rudeness, and even aggression towards customers. The forum is also collecting as many "first account" BrightHouse horror stories as it can. You may view some of the cases we have collected so far HERE

Much of this research has been compiled into a Consumer Advice/Debt Advice Fact Sheet (enclosed as a PDF file for your attention) and makes very interesting reading. By unravelling a complex system of financial exploitation (aimed at some of the least well-off in society) this Fact Sheet is also essential for anyone who is - or anyone planning on becoming - a customer of BrightHouse. You are welcome to keep it on file and refer to it, or distribute it, as you see fit.

The Consumer Action Group Forums is very keen to see BrightHouse "brought to task" and plan to produce a full report to the Office of Fair Trading and the Consumer Credit Association and challenge whether BrightHouse are "fit and proper" to hold a consumer credit licence. It is also very concerned at the company's current rate of growth and expansion. This is clearly a result of the "credit crunch" being used to their advantage.

I was also somewhat shocked to see Henry Bellingham MP open a new BrightHouse store in Lynn, Norfolk recently.

I find it incredible that he wishes to be associated with, and appear to support, such a company. Furthermore, I learn that, just a few days later, the very same MP is raising questions and concerns in the House of Commons about the number of people in Britain who are living in poverty!

I have requested, and have been promised, a full response from Mr Bellingham.

Please feel free to draw from anything in this email (including attachments) for any research or questions you plan in the future.

Kindest Regards

Lefty

Contributor - The Consumer Action Group Forums

Edited by Lefty
voluntarily removed conjecture

;)

All going to plan so far ;)

Are You Monitoring, BrightHouse?

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I would have thought that in the current economic climate, politicians would be very careful to associate themselves in any way with a company that screws so many people with credit.

Politicians are for the next 2 years going to be judged on how they work together to help get the country out of the recession that the are too afraid to admitthat we are already in!

It's not about scoring points on the opposition or about taking sides. I would have thought the MP in question, no matter which way he swings, would have had better sense than to take up this opportunity.

As for him researching the company, well it is not a director that makes a company, it is the people on the shop-floor. And it doesn't take an idiot to type Brighthouse into Google and read the forums!

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

• 2 weeks later...

"I would have thought that in the current economic climate, politicians would be very careful to associate themselves in any way with a company that screws so many people with credit."

Lets not forget PJ ....they have stood back and watched for years-the people most vulnerable have ALWAYS had a raw deal....with no bat of an eyelid.

As Lord Owen said on newsnight this week-The conspiracies that existed between the banks and the corridors of power in Westminster were real enough.

The FSA should never have been entrusted with the regulation and powers that for so long the Bank of England took care of,without intervention from those covering their asses now.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.