• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Clamping Guide

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

last year i recived 2 PCNs i paid one buy check but disputed the other, bailffs clamped my car in december so i paid £700 for the disputed pcn as i recived no letters, the bailff then told me i had another outstanding PCN for the one that i paid by check... i sent en email to the parking service and they replied by sending me a letter asking for proof.... i then sent them a letter stating that i had not recived no corrspondance telling me that the PCN was not paid!

i have looked at my bank statements and the amount was not taken out my bank. I have not receive any letters since dec only having my car clamped and towed away today!

surely they are at fault as well for not sending any warnings.... shouldnt the Bailff given me some time before toing my car? what do i do now i cant afford to get my car released?

help

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

last year i recived 2 PCNs i paid one buy check but disputed the other, bailffs clamped my car in december so i paid £700 for the disputed pcn as i recived no letters, the bailff then told me i had another outstanding PCN for the one that i paid by check... i sent en email to the parking service and they replied by sending me a letter asking for proof.... i then sent them a letter stating that i had not recived no corrspondance telling me that the PCN was not paid!

i have looked at my bank statements and the amount was not taken out my bank. I have not receive any letters since dec only having my car clamped and towed away today!

surely they are at fault as well for not sending any warnings.... shouldnt the Bailff given me some time before toing my car? what do i do now i cant afford to get my car released?

help

You should post this in its own thread as it's not really relevant to this sticky which is for clamping on private land.

Clamping for unpaid PCN's is covered by legislation and there are strict procedures to be observed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5 months later...

"Damages claimed for trespass must be paid to the landlord so unless the clampers and the landowner have a water tight agreement they may be acting unlawfully."

I have a question on this point: I know of a situation where the land-owner employs private clampers. The land-owner does not pay the clamping company, and neither do they receive any of the clamp-release fees. The land-owner benefits, I suppose, since people observe parking regs more carefully, and are also better about paying their daily parking fees.

Would this arrangement seem to be in breach? If so, of what (is it case law, or some regulation)? What could be done about it?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There

Hope someone can help me.

My Mother In Law who is in her 60s was clamped in her own parking space (she resides in a flat with a designated space) and she has parked in the same place for ten years.

Unfortunately her permit had become unfastened from the windscreen and had fallen onto the floor of her car. She was clamped at 8pm and noticed whilst the clamper was still in situ...she calmly explained the situation to him (he was new - she was on friendly terms with another clamper who was there often) she was basically told "tough luck" and had to pay, money she genuinely didn't have.

The stress of this has made her pretty miserable and I have written twice to National Parking Management requesting a refund. They sent one letter saying no and ignored the second letter which was a Final Demand prior to legal action.

As my M.I.L was legally parked in her own space would I have a reasonable case if I issued a money claim? I really don't want these people to get away with this and any advise would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!!

You are unlikely to have any success against the clamping company as, even if you win a CCJ, they will most likely just ignore it.

When you issue a claim you should make sure you name the landowner as a joint defendant as they are much more likely to pay up. Before you do this you should issue a LBA to both these people and give them 14 days to respond.

• 1 month later...
Hi All

This is my first post and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I also hope I can be of some help to someone else in the future!

I took a chance and parked on double yellows on Saturday night. 2 wheels on the pavement, 2 on the road. I did spot some parking notices on the side of the building but I did think this related to the wide pavement beneath them. I was parked on the bend so in front of the corner of the building. I knew I could've been risking a parking fine but not at £225.

I returned to find my car clamped. The sign said £125 to release the clamp, £95 Towage cancellation fee (if a tow truck had been dispatched). I rang the number and was told that unless I paid there and then that I would be charged the full amount and a daily charge for keeping the car.

The man on the phone said that because the tow truck had been dispatched that I would have to pay the full fee, I asked how he could prove that the tow truck had been dispatched?? His only answer was 'well you can wait for it to turn up'!!.

Although I can stomach paying a REASONABLE fine if I really was unlawfully parked, I cannot stomach the 'made up' charges for sending a make believe tow truck. I had been on the phone to the guy for 15 minutes and before that had stood for 10 mins in amazement at my misfortune before ringing. What a coincidence that at the exact time that I phoned, the tow truck had just been released???

Can anyone please offer me any help?

Thanks!

I notice the guide says refuse to pay extra fees for tow trucks, or the cancellation of tow trucks, but what is this based on? That the extra fee is extortionate? It seems to me that refusing to pay for the tow truck in the above case would just have ended up with the company saying "fine, we'll tow it away", and after all, you do want your car released! What would the police (which the giude advised you call if threatened with these tow truck charges) actually be able to do about it?

• 2 weeks later...

The advice from the guide is that clamping/towing are in the eyes of the SIA the same activity, i.e. distress feasant (for which a license must be held).

Under the case law a vehicle must be released once an offer to pay has been made. So even if a tow truck has been dispatched it is irrelevant.

If they are still threatening to tow it away I would sit in it and call the old bill. Once they arrive inform them you will pay the original fee stipulated and indicate that you have made the offer.

The police can threaten both sides with a breach of the peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...I don't know if anyone can help me, but my boyfriend's motorbike was towed away on Saturday on a Peabody Trust estate by the London Parking Control company, however the bike had a cover on it and we were under the impression that you weren't allowed to clamp or remove a bike if it was covered? Plus they also caused some damaged to the bike when forcing it into the small transit van they took it away in. Can someone tell me if they are allowed to tow away a bike which is covered up?

Thanks...

Can I transfer the car to the immobiliser or the land owner? How can I get details of the land owner?

Land owner details can be obtained through the land registry. Land Registry - Land Registry

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.

I recently got clamped in a private car park by newline securities. (horrible bunch, dam right rude & aggressive) i was visiting my girlfriend. I have a visitors parking permit which was in the car but had moved so it wasn't as visible as it could have been.

I phoned the number left on the car, asking why it had been clamped as there was a parking permit on the dash.

i was told it had to fixed to the windscreen!! what! It will be £145 to remove it. disputed this, but they didn't care quite rude in fact. I was told i had to pay it or they will tow the car away. think it was something like additional £300.

So i took the clamp of without damaging it, wheel off, let the air out and undid the wishbone to slide the chain off. So there was no damage what so ever.

They rung me back saying they where on their way how was i going to pay.. lol so i said I'm not you can have your clamp back when you get here :grin:

they went mad!! saying it was criminal damage they where going to sue me blaa blaa, oh and theft

anyway i went back in for a cup of tea, 10 minutes later i see their van. Finished my tea and they were gone... i wanted to leave the clamp outside but people will nick anything round there.

So first thing in the morning i took the clamp into the local police station as i didn't want to get done for theft.

I then phoned them again, and told the man where he's clamp was. once again went mad, saying how they where going to take me to court etc. criminal damage...

Finally my questions?:

Do i now have to anything else i.e. write a letter recorded delivery just reminding them where the clamp is for proof? but obviously don't leave a name, address nor sign it just the car reg number?

They said they were going the get the registered details from DVLA and they had photos. But don't they have to prove who the driver was?

The only evidence i have is...

• A photo through the windscreen showing the permit (Not very good one).

• And two photos showing that there wasn't any damage to the clamp.

• Police ticket – think they put it in as lost property.

• Oh and a witness

The police lady found it funny, I had taken it off without damage and taken it in. She also told me about the same company in some kind of dispute at the moment. Guessing I hadn't broke any laws as they didn't charge me with anything

If i do get anything in the post can i just go down the route as per the parking tickets, basically prove who the driver is. What evidence do they have etc.

Edited by b1gdave83

The way i see it... you had a permit so you were not trespassing, you have not stolen their clamp and you have not damaged their clamp.

I dont see what they could take you to court for ?

It is for them to prove any wrong doing.

Nice one !

hello all:-)

The way i see it... you had a permit so you were not trespassing, you have not stolen their clamp and you have not damaged their clamp.

I dont see what they could take you to court for ?

It is for them to prove any wrong doing.

Nice one !

That’s what i thought.

Shall i write a them a letter telling them where the clamp is. Just as back up, As i suppose they could say i never called?

Sorry for the terrible grammar in the original post, It was 3 in the morning. Couldn’t sleep because of these swine’s

I don't see why you need to write to them any further. You have handed it in to the police as lost property, so by definition, you are not expected to know who it belongs to anyway otherwise it wouldn't be "lost" would it! :)

I don't see why you need to write to them any further. You have handed it in to the police as lost property, so by definition, you are not expected to know who it belongs to anyway otherwise it wouldn't be "lost" would it! :)

So is that it ???????? :D well until the letters come in the post.

As posted before, if they do send me letters shall i just ignore them or write back saying… I’m the registered owner. However i wasn't the driver at the time and the contract is between newline and the driver? Maybe send a copy of the permit so trespassing is not an issue. Also point out that it was illegal what they did as i have permit, (photo copy it).

Even though i had a permit, it's hard to prove it was actually in the car. I bet the photos they took don't show it.

Edited by b1gdave83

Ignore any letters they send you.

Only respond to an actual court summons.

In my oppinion i dont think they will be making any claim in court because you have done nothing wrong.

If they do then you have a very good defence. You were not trespassing as you had a permit !

hello all:-)

no damage no foul. clampers just shouting up as you have beaten them. did you get the police to document the clamp as undamaged when you handed it in ? that would be nice thing to have. watch out for revenge clampings when you go back there.

Thank you, no didn't mention no damage. i got a lost property ticket.

Howver i did take a coule of photos of it...

What happens if they don't pick it up. Will they will try and charge me for it?

Also technically can i pick it up in 6 weeks?

If remains unclaimed I believe you can :) They can try and charge you for it - but as you handed it in (undamaged) and it is no longer in your possession and they know where it is it looks like you have not deprived them of it. If they tried to claim the cost of it you could probably take them to the cleaners. You beat them using lawful means and they are ticked off. Bullies.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks