Fined for being 8 miles above speed limit-Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Can someone help? I've received a letter from the police claiming that I have been over the speed limit and as a result of this they want me to name the driver at the specified date and time on top of that they want to give me 3 points+ £60 fine+ court :( ,,the car does not belong to me,,,it was a rented vehicle.

is there anything I can do to avoid the 3 points on my license? I've never had any points on my license? How should i respond to the letter? shall i go to court and defend my self? or ignore?

Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep good question.........did you do it?

if so, then hold your hand up.. no excuse

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have to agree with the others: rental company will have a duty to notify police of driver/hiree at the time, and clearly this was you.

3 points and £60 for breaking the speed limit? Assuming you did, then to be honest I do not think you have much to complain about...that is a fair and reasonable punishment, and hopefully it will make you think again before going that bit too fast in the future...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I got three points in 1986...so that makes me 22 years...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

Can someone help? I've received a letter from the police claiming that I have been over the speed limit and as a result of this they want me to name the driver at the specified date and time on top of that they want to give me 3 points+ £60 fine+ court :( ,,the car does not belong to me,,,it was a rented vehicle.

is there anything I can do to avoid the 3 points on my license? I've never had any points on my license? How should i respond to the letter? shall i go to court and defend my self? or ignore?

Thanks

right long shot here,

what was the instrument they used to catch you.

we all know garret 20/20's are next to flippin useless and are callibrated with a pitch fork and washing machine (forget about self calibration this is even worse)

Fixed cameras are shoddy and mobile units can in certain circumstances be inacurate, instances like when you turn them on and when you use them!!

Have you asked for photographic evidence of the offence

you can also ask for under the freedom of information act ask for,

callibration certificates and maintenance records of equipment used(moblie and fixed)

Training records of the officer or person concerned in the use of the

equipment and a copy of the certificate of competence issued.

poket book notes of the siting and setting up of mobile units

Positioning of other cars (mobile, may have metered someone else)

weather conditions at the time (mobile, fixed direct sunlight affects readings)

Direction of source and destination if you were followed (chase unit)

Distance of track and continued space beteween (chase)

Written details of the partnerships procedures for the use of mobile

Speed cameras and laser detectors.(mobile, fixed)

you are entitled to ask for this lot for your defence.

For the record see this link !!!

BBC News Player - Invention prevents speed fine

I'm one. 19 years .... :-)

16 years for me, never had a point (famous last words eh?) but we are all guilty of speeding somewhere at sometime.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I'm one of the good guys - 26 years without a blemish on my licence.

Superman - you didn't actually answer the question. Did you exceed the speed limit?

The current ACPO guidlines allow for speedo error and suggest that 10% + 2mph is the tolerance for speeding, so in a 30 mph limit you would not be prosecuted for doing 35 or less, in a 40 that would be 46mph and in a 70 that would be 79mph.

This is likely to be replaced in the near future with a flat 5mph tolerance.

A notice has been received by a friend of mine for what appears to be the same offence. I immediatley thought id log onto cag as generally there some pretty clever people nocking round this site. It appears on this particular post there are a load of camera operators saying tough pay up. There are ongoing arguments as to the infringement of human rights regarding the completion of the notice of intention of prosecution under section 172 of the road and traffic act. "You have the right to remain silent" yet on this form you are asked to incriminate yourself or face a further penalty should you challenge the offence and fail. Does nt seem quite correct regardless whether the offence was committed or not. High flyers and celebritys appear to have no problem "getting off" speeding offences guilty or not using expensive solicitors.. If there is a loophole for these cash generators then lets pool resources to find it. I am not condoning dangerous driving just the legality of the process.

Tumble

Then if you were doing 38 the penalty is correct and you have no choice but to accept it.

In response to Tumbles allegation that we are a load of camera operators, well what a load of genitals. In my opinion, 38 in a 30 does constitute dangerous or at least careless driving. The driver has a responsibility to be aware of his vehicle and it's surroundings at all times.

After holding a clean license for 19 years, I recently got caught on camera doing 36 in a 30. I've had the option of the £60 fine plus three points OR going on a speed awareness course, which costs £67 but you don't get any points. I'm going to take that option then I'll still have my "clean" license!!

I am usually very good at sticking to speed limits, but this was a fairly built up area and a dual carriage way --- I thought the limit was 40 :o

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

The current ACPO guidlines allow for speedo error and suggest that 10% + 2mph is the tolerance for speeding, so in a 30 mph limit you would not be prosecuted for doing 35 or less

Really?

I know people who've been done for doing 31mph and 32mph ....

hey are designed to give the driver some margin for error as we are all human.

Being done for 31mph means you have been given no margin of error and your needle should have been calibrated correctly. What if my needle said 29mph?